Nights with ND: Re-watch Classic Notre Dame Football

I go to bed around 10:30 PM each night. I turn on the YouTube App on My TV.

Sunday night: 6/16 I watched 2.5 Quarters of 1992 Notre Dame vs Michigan

I was struck by how much I was impressed with Skip Holtz's playcalling. It makes sense. The son of Lou Holtz, Skip had quite a few head coaching stops and is now part of whatever they call the spring football league that merged the XFL and another league.

Lou kept the I-formation as his base but Skip put ALOT of early spread football concepts in there

Monday 6/18:

Watched 2.5 Quarters of ND-Michigan State 1993

Again Skip Holtz sneakily had Kevin McDougal throw the ball all over the field.

Its funny how when I think of Lou I think 2 TE I formation

Put the Qb in the shotgun in your mind and it might as well be Mike Denbrock

image.png

• Leprechaun 2

6/18 was ND-USC 1995. I stayed up and watched the whole thing.

If you like Classic Fullback play this was the Marc Edwards game. He had plenty. ND denied USC 21 points in the Redzone. Do yourself the joy of watching the linebacker-running back Collison at the goalline in the first quarter. Met Keyshawn Johnson. He did not wreck the game though.

• Heart 2

image.thumb.png.85a813d84a802a76910c6efe4631880f.png

Would not have believed it unless I saw it myself. Lou Holtz Sr. Allowed Lou Holtz jr. (Skip Holtz) to call a play out of the Shotgun Formation in 1993. Not too suprising as Charlie Ward was running the "Fast Break" Shotgun offense for Florida State when that clash happened the same year. As you see in that period the backs were aligned at the same depth as the QB. Later versions will have the running back slightly behind the QB so it becomes a balanced formation. This one is just a 3rd and 19 obvious pass answer but they got in range and converted a 4th down on the way to a touchdown.

• Heart 1

I  bring this one up because the ideas of Chip Long and Mike Denbrock are similiar. Wimbush played this game because Book Hurt a rib at Northwestern the week before.

But Wimbush had Miles Boykin and Chase Claypool Alize Mack and Chris Finke. They also were and transition at running back as Josh Adams went pro. so it was Dexter Williams, Tony Jones and Jafar Armstrong.

This was the year Kelly had pulled Wimbush because his passing suffered and the defense was playing too well not to put Book in to score some points with Boykin and Claypool.

image.thumb.png.f2a0559ebd75ae11c27a430f26ec058e.png

So I expect to see things spread out

Dexter williams went for 202 yards that night.

• Heart 1