Outgoing Player Transfers (2023-24)

tneun89

1 hour ago, Baldy said:

I 100 percent agree with this, and had actually said the same thing the other day!

Yeah, this is all very crazy! Stetson Bennett was 27 when he played his last year. I think Bo Nix and Sam Hartman were both 24-25.

Yeah - they gotta limit this.  And, the portal opens 2x per year?  So, in a collegiate players 4 year career, they would conceivably have 7 times in their college windows to transfer.  Crazy 

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, NDLincPark said:

Yeah - they gotta limit this.  And, the portal opens 2x per year?  So, in a collegiate players 4 year career, they would conceivably have 7 times in their college windows to transfer.  Crazy 

Yes, they really do. It is quite ridiculous!

2 hours ago, NDLincPark said:

Actually, players can transfer as many times as they like. However:

The transfer portal has forever changed college football and how schools create their rosters, and now the NCAA has brought in another new change.

While players going into the portal for the first time will still be able to get immediate eligibility at their next school, the NCAA is trying to stop players from entering the transfer portal multiple times.

What's new: The NCAA Division I Council approved legislation to limit waivers for second-time transfer players. Now, any undergraduates who transfer a second time, or any other time after that, must meet specific guidelines in order to be eligible for immediate playing time starting with the 2023-24 season or risk sitting out a year between transfers.

With exceptions: Under the new rule, players can still get immediate eligibility at their next school if they are transferring due to a physical injury or mental health concern.

Exigent circumstances: And the NCAA will also consider "exigent circumstances" like abuse or sexual assault, but will not consider academic or athletic reasons, like being unsatisfied with playing time on their team.

In recent years, the NCAA has granted waivers for immediate eligibility for football, basketball, and baseball transfers, but will now recommend against that for players who have transferred once during their college careers.

Why the change: The NCAA wants to rein in the number of players using the transfer portal, a figure that has exceeded 2,000 just in the first transfer window after the 2022 college football season. Of those, at least 120 are quarterbacks.

The rule in action: As an example, this new rule would have affected the career trajectory of quarterback JT Daniels. The former 5-star played at USC (2018-19) then at Georgia (2020-21) and then West Virginia (2022) before moving to Rice. Had this rule been in place, Daniels would have needed to graduate between each of his other two transfers or sit out and use up a year of eligibility.

Undergrads only: The new rule applies only to undergraduates and not graduates, who are still eligible to play immediately should they transfer.

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, NDLincPark said:

I mean.... how is that different from any other student. 

7 hours ago, jimbo said:

With exceptions: Under the new rule, players can still get immediate eligibility at their next school if they are transferring due to a physical injury or mental health concern.

It is 2023, everyone will just claim mental health concerns and get immediate play time. The NCAA is not going to challenge a mental health claim....not in 2023. So, this rule does nothing.

The rule "should" be that a player gets 1 xfer that allows immediate eligibility and any additional transfers require them to sit for a year. The exceptions should be extremely limited and not something that is subjective.

45 minutes ago, NDLincPark said:

Because other students are not getting a 245K free education based on playing a sport? 

Not really true. All sports other than football, basketball and baseball have free transfer. I played d1 college soccer, on scholarship and people left all the time. It was part of it. 

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, IrishGuy said:

It is 2023, everyone will just claim mental health concerns and get immediate play time. The NCAA is not going to challenge a mental health claim....not in 2023. So, this rule does nothing.

The rule "should" be that a player gets 1 xfer that allows immediate eligibility and any additional transfers require them to sit for a year. The exceptions should be extremely limited and not something that is subjective.

I would have to disagree here, because I really doubt that a player would be able to claim mental health issues and be waived without it being challenged from the NCAA.

I can guarantee those players would need to submit a letter of diagnosis from a licensed medical provider, physician, or doctor in order to be waived.

If they don’t do that, then there is something seriously wrong with their rules and procedures they have put in place.

• Heart 2

4 hours ago, Synoptico said:

Not really true. All sports other than football, basketball and baseball have free transfer. I played d1 college soccer, on scholarship and people left all the time. It was part of it. 

The transfer portal was introduced in 2018, then augmented in 2020 w covid.   Of course people left colleges all of the time prior to the Portal, but it was nowhere near as common or easy.  I am not sure what you are arguing, are you saying the portal has had no impact on players transferring more?

Edited by NDLincPark

1 hour ago, Baldy said:

I would have to disagree here, because I really doubt that a player would be able to claim mental health issues and be waived without it being challenged from the NCAA.

I can guarantee those players would need to submit a letter of diagnosis from a licensed medical provider, physician, or doctor in order to be waived.

If they don’t do that, then there is something seriously wrong with their rules and procedures they have put in place.

If getting a letter from a doctor is the hold up, that is not a very large hurdle. Hell, I found a licensed doctor that was willing to sign off I needed a weed card due to a mental issue (that I do not have) because I wanted a medical weed card.

• Laughing Leprechaun 4

18 minutes ago, IrishGuy said:

If getting a letter from a doctor is the hold up, that is not a very large hurdle. Hell, I found a licensed doctor that was willing to sign off I needed a weed card due to a mental issue (that I do not have) because I wanted a medical weed card.

Agreed. It cost my daughter $100 to get a letter from a doctor that she needed an emotional support animal so she could bring her dog on planes. Filled a survey out online, paid her $100, got the letter.

• Laughing Leprechaun 2

BTW, Joey Tanona transferring to Purdue. I do not think that he was able to continue at ND due to him taking a medical hardship due to aftermath of an auto accident. Good that he has recovered and is able to play football since it was thought that his career was over. 

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, IrishGuy said:

2 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Agreed. It cost my daughter $100 to get a letter from a doctor that she needed an emotional support animal so she could bring her dog on planes. Filled a survey out online, paid her $100, got the letter.

Well, then I guess this will all be legit in the eyes of the NCAA then. 😜 But now it has me questioning the physician! 😂

#waived

Curious decision by Rico. UCLA is not exactly lighting it up offensively and their starting QB (Dante Moore) just left. He wanted to go to a team with a heavy passing attack, and that is not UCLA. Chip Kelly is on the hot seat going into next year too.

Maybe he just wanted to be closer to home, but would have thought he landed somewhere else.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, tneun89 said:

Curious decision by Rico. UCLA is not exactly lighting it up offensively and their starting QB (Dante Moore) just left. He wanted to go to a team with a heavy passing attack, and that is not UCLA. Chip Kelly is on the hot seat going into next year too.

Maybe he just wanted to be closer to home, but would have thought he landed somewhere else.

UCLA is a great school in a great location.  And now they’re joining the Big 10

1 hour ago, TexasDomer said:

UCLA is a great school in a great location.  And now they’re joining the Big 10

Disagree…. Have you been there?  Those Pac-12 schools have no character unless you’re talking about UC- Santa Barbara, but that’s not Pac-12.  When I lived in LA, there was simply no passion…. It all felt fake and metropolitan….an insult to sports.  The worst place to watch a game is the Rose Bowl….soooo boring.

1 hour ago, irishwavend said:

Disagree…. Have you been there?  Those Pac-12 schools have no character unless you’re talking about UC- Santa Barbara, but that’s not Pac-12.  When I lived in LA, there was simply no passion…. It all felt fake and metropolitan….an insult to sports.  The worst place to watch a game is the Rose Bowl….soooo boring.

lol yeah, I’ve been there.  Every member of my family went there except me.  Have relatives working there now.  You’re welcome to disagree, but Westwood beats South Bend all day every day.

I agree that for sports, most of LA are fair weather fan posers.  But living near the beach is good living.