Avery Davis

IrishItalian15

Book clearly has a stronger arm than Tommy Rees, I don't think Tommy could even throw the ball as far as Book did to Finke vs Miami of Ohio. He has more zip, if you can't see that I'm not sure we were watching the same games.

Recruiting services are probably worse than the NFL scouts at predicting future success. There's too much mentally you can't measure on game tape with a qb that isn't required of other positions.

Scouting qbs always has been and always will be a crap shoot.

Agree with all of this and they have to go to the right school as well.

Phil looks to be the qb that fits what bk wants. A tall qb that can stand in the pocket but also pick up yards with his feet when needed.

I get so frustrated watching Wimbush not being comfortable in the pocket but not wanting to run so he drifts backwards until the line can't block for him and he loses a ton of yards on a sack.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Avery Davis just looks far too small to be a starting P5 qb.

If I was him, I would be looking to transfer to possibly an IVY or top quality FCS school.

I may be proven wrong, but with PJ and then McNamara coming in, the future for Avery doesn't look overly bright

Too many on this board have given Wimbush the heave ho.

He is by far the most talented QB with experience on the roster.

Talented in what ways? He is a very good runner but tends to give up too soon on the called pass play. Less than a 50% passer. Does not make the right decisions too often.

I agree that he could be the QB IF he gets his passing percentage up to 65%. If not, he might be better suited as a slot receiver or RB/Receiver.

Duck

Wimbush is young, he has 2 years of eligibility remaining. He will grow and get better in the passing game and in decision making. So is Book and he will get better. I have been watching last years games and see Wimbush doing quite well. I know for us to win a Natty, he needs to be a rock star, but as long as Kelly doesn't ruin his mind, we will be in the thick of things.

You know, having said that and thinking about Kelly not really having a QB get better as their career wound down, he really needs to dump Tommy and get a former college QB who did very well in the big games to coach our guys. Tommy really knows what Kelly taught him.

I think Bryan Driskell is the best ND Football analyst and he says Avery has a TON of work to do as a quarterback. Also he looks super tiny to me. And from his film his arm isn't as strong as Phil's. Put that all together and that's my answer

Agree with that analysis. Nice backup but not starting over Wimbush, Book and Phil.

I think his size would work against him if he was a pro style pocket passer because of the size of the line in front of him but it's probably not a negative as a dual threat QB unless Kelly tries to mold him into something else. Also, as always, big time HS football is not the same as big time college football.

I seem to remember when he was being recruited that his team got blown away by Bishop Gorman and his performance was far from awe inspiring.