Avery Davis

IrishItalian15

Curious what everyone's thoughts are regarding Avery Davis. To me, he seems like the perfect cross between Wimbush and Book. Athletic with a good arm, able to run and yet accurate and intelligent. The offense would keep the running aspect that Wimbush provided, with an accurate passer.

Am I missing something as to why he isn't getting much hype by the staff/Rees?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He seems to be a guy who had been glossed over. If it’s not Wimbush then it’s Book. And if Book falters then it’s PJ. I think Davis can surprise some people. Last year they claimed he took control of the huddle. I think he could be a silent good one if given the chance.

Curious what everyone's thoughts are regarding Avery Davis. To me, he seems like the perfect cross between Wimbush and Book. Athletic with a good arm, able to run and yet accurate and intelligent. The offense would keep the running aspect that Wimbush provided, with an accurate passer.

Am I missing something as to why he isn't getting much hype by the staff/Rees?

Have you ever seen him play? You seem to know a lot about his skills for a guy that hasn't taken a snap. I think it's pretty widely accepted that he will transfer or switch positions at some point.

Have you ever seen him play? You seem to know a lot about his skills for a guy that hasn't taken a snap. I think it's pretty widely accepted that he will transfer or switch positions at some point.

Never seen him play. Never seen anything on him. I never watch any tapes or highlights. I just do my best never to accept what is widely accepted and make statements for fun. You can see that based on me being a part of this board for 8 years and having only 300 posts.

He could be the dark horse, if it's truly an open competition I would keep an eye on him.

I think the issue is we haven't seen him play or heard anything, so basically out of sight out of mind.

They all look great in their high school tapes but we all know that doesn't always translate to college.If he steals the show in the spring game I think it'll gain traction.

Never seen him play. Never seen anything on him. I never watch any tapes or highlights. I just do my best never to accept what is widely accepted and make statements for fun. You can see that based on me being a part of this board for 8 years and having only 300 posts.

Well........

Post more old timer:biggrin1:

Avery has no chance of playing. Sorry. He's gonna be 4 on the depth chart

That's a presumptive statement, have you seen him in practice or something? He's a complete unknown at this point, however I am confident in saying he is likely a markedly better passer than Wimbush.

I don't put much if any stock into all star games but Jurkovec's release was slow, his arm strength looked very average and he wasn't outrunning the the ends in that game. I think we all need to pump the brakes on PJ, he's just as likely to be a bust as he is a success.

I think Bryan Driskell is the best ND Football analyst and he says Avery has a TON of work to do as a quarterback. Also he looks super tiny to me. And from his film his arm isn't as strong as Phil's. Put that all together and that's my answer

Fair enough if he's been watching practices, it's a long off season and I see some potential for him surprising some people.

Regardless I'm on team Book but I'm all for the best guy starting whether that's Davis or someone else.

Fair enough if he's been watching practices, it's a long off season and I see some potential for him surprising some people.

Regardless I'm on team Book but I'm all for the best guy starting whether that's Davis or someone else.

Too many on this board have given Wimbush the heave ho.

He is by far the most talented QB with experience on the roster.

Too many on this board have given Wimbush the heave ho.

He is by far the most talented QB with experience on the roster.

He has the highest ceiling and the tools but they are worthless if you can't use them properly.

He's a stud from the neck down. From the neck up he's a back up.

That’s what I do, I find that it may not be the most constructive way of communicating, but it’s crrtainly the most fun.

You were the guy that said Junior Jabbie was going to win the Heisman, right? Still can’t believe Dayne Crist didn’t win the 3 I predicted.

That’s what I do, I find that it may not be the most constructive way of communicating, but it’s crrtainly the most fun.

You were the guy that said Junior Jabbie was going to win the Heisman, right? Still can’t believe Dayne Crist didn’t win the 3 I predicted.

Honestly, you wouldn't have been far off if we had hired a shrink for Dayne. He had all the skills in the world, but his head stood in the way. I don't know what kind of mental blocks or fears he had, but it was clear he couldn't overcome them. Maybe that's a new position we should have on staff for our guys - Team Psychologist.

Dayne is different than Wimbush though...Wimbush simply can't understand the offense. Wimbush can't make the right decisions, but it's not because he's scared.

As far as Avery Davis and PJ, I would say not to underestimate the value of being in the system for a year versus coming straight out of high school. I wouldn't write off Davis. We don't know how these guys will develop or what kind of competitors they are. The star system is simply a measure of the probability of success at the college level - it isn't a guarantee that the guy is capable of starting right away over a sophomore who's been in practice and been in the film room studying college talent and college schemes as opposed to the same at the high school level. Book is a speedier Tommy Rees...same arm. I put Avery Davis at Number 2 or 3 by the first game.

As far as Avery Davis and PJ, I would say not to underestimate the value of being in the system for a year versus coming straight out of high school. I wouldn't write off Davis. We don't know how these guys will develop or what kind of competitors they are. The star system is simply a measure of the probability of success at the college level - it isn't a guarantee that the guy is capable of starting right away over a sophomore who's been in practice and been in the film room studying college talent and college schemes as opposed to the same at the high school level.

I don't understand the star system when it comes to quarterbacks. Really.

Sometimes it seems like a guy with a cannon arm will get 5 stars, sometimes a guy who makes as much happen with his legs as his arm gets 5 stars. Even at the QB camps, certain qualities will stand out over others.

But what really seems to be lacking in the star system is the "it" factor. Some guys just make things happen and win. They may not have the biggest arms or the best legs. They just understand the offense, the defense that has lined up on any given play, and they make good decisions when a play breaks down. They don't give the ball to the other team. I don't understand how any of this factors into the star rating system because it's really hard to measure.

So, of course I'd love to have a 5 star player at any position. I just won't get too amped up about a guy who is reported to have the best arm or the best legs. I don't know what qualities Avery Davis has. Haven't seen him play yet. I don't think Wimbush has "it", although he's a pretty good player. Book may have "it", even without having the dynamic arm. Other DD posters have claimed Jurkovec has "it". I certainly hope so. ND could use a guy like that.

Honestly, you wouldn't have been far off if we had hired a shrink for Dayne. He had all the skills in the world, but his head stood in the way. I don't know what kind of mental blocks or fears he had, but it was clear he couldn't overcome them. Maybe that's a new position we should have on staff for our guys - Team Psychologist.

Dayne is different than Wimbush though...Wimbush simply can't understand the offense. Wimbush can't make the right decisions, but it's not because he's scared.

As far as Avery Davis and PJ, I would say not to underestimate the value of being in the system for a year versus coming straight out of high school. I wouldn't write off Davis. We don't know how these guys will develop or what kind of competitors they are. The star system is simply a measure of the probability of success at the college level - it isn't a guarantee that the guy is capable of starting right away over a sophomore who's been in practice and been in the film room studying college talent and college schemes as opposed to the same at the high school level. Book is a speedier Tommy Rees...same arm. I put Avery Davis at Number 2 or 3 by the first game.

Book clearly has a stronger arm than Tommy Rees, I don't think Tommy could even throw the ball as far as Book did to Finke vs Miami of Ohio. He has more zip, if you can't see that I'm not sure we were watching the same games.

Recruiting services are probably worse than the NFL scouts at predicting future success. There's too much mentally you can't measure on game tape with a qb that isn't required of other positions.

Scouting qbs always has been and always will be a crap shoot.

I don't understand the star system when it comes to quarterbacks. Really.

Sometimes it seems like a guy with a cannon arm will get 5 stars, sometimes a guy who makes as much happen with his legs as his arm gets 5 stars. Even at the QB camps, certain qualities will stand out over others.

But what really seems to be lacking in the star system is the "it" factor. Some guys just make things happen and win. They may not have the biggest arms or the best legs. They just understand the offense, the defense that has lined up on any given play, and they make good decisions when a play breaks down. They don't give the ball to the other team. I don't understand how any of this factors into the star rating system because it's really hard to measure.

So, of course I'd love to have a 5 star player at any position. I just won't get too amped up about a guy who is reported to have the best arm or the best legs. I don't know what qualities Avery Davis has. Haven't seen him play yet. I don't think Wimbush has "it", although he's a pretty good player. Book may have "it", even without having the dynamic arm. Other DD posters have claimed Jurkovec has "it". I certainly hope so. ND could use a guy like that.

Them recruiting sites are like the chicken and the egg, which came first. Do schools recruit kids based on their ranking or do the ranking depend on who's recruiting them? Rees went from zero stars to a 3 after committing to ND.

I saw Avery play in high school and not just highlights, the whole game. I'm too lazy to link the post but my opinion was:

Avery is a good athlete but don't really look like a true qb. They don't ask him to make many decisions, when the ball is snapped he knows where he's going with it. Reminds me of EG physically and by the fact that he is best with not a lot thrown on his plate.

LV watched him as well and reported:

My guess would be Davis never starts at ND if we avoid significant injury to QBs.

It is interesting that we have 2 qb's with experience and we're looking at the one's that haven't played to be the savior. Shiny new toy syndrome at it's finest.