2016 Recruiting Prospects

Big23Head

What? Day and Jones were at one point or another 5 star DT. The final rankings they might have been knocked down from that status because they come from non football power states and that always hurt when it comes to rankings because it just so much harder to evaluate because of the talent level.

Rochell, Cage, and Trumbetti all look really good. Hill has been good in spurts, and we have other young guys like Hayes and Bonner that should play more next year. DL recruiting has been better than we originally thought. Keep em coming though. Recruiting never stops.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just saw that tom loy gave a CB prediction on jawon pass to ND. watched his film and I can not believe how much he reminds me of cam newton, this kid is big time.
Pass IMO is a huge BOOM or BUST prospect and I think with the Wimbush commit in 2015 it allows for ND to take that chance on such a player.

Malik Henry is very good and safe IMO, who will be one of the 5 best QB's in the class but the ultimate upside is nowhere near that of Pass but his likely of reaching his ceiling is much more likely.

I personally like Shea Patterson the best, just think he's got that Andrew Luck quality about him.

Pass IMO is a huge BOOM or BUST prospect and I think with the Wimbush commit in 2015 it allows for ND to take that chance on such a player.

Malik Henry is very good and safe IMO, who will be one of the 5 best QB's in the class but the ultimate upside is nowhere near that of Pass but his likely of reaching his ceiling is much more likely.

I personally like Shea Patterson the best, just think he's got that Andrew Luck quality about him.

I agree with all of this, I have said it before, but Pass reminds me a lot of Tyrone Swoopes out in Texas. Pass could be great, but he could also be a 5* bust that fails to live up to the 5* hype.

Malik Henry is a pretty safe bet at being pretty good at the next level.

In terms of potential ceiling: Pass -> Patterson -> Henry

In terms of bust potential: Pass -> Patterson -> Henry

I agree with all of this, I have said it before, but Pass reminds me a lot of Tyrone Swoopes out in Texas. Pass could be great, but he could also be a 5* bust that fails to live up to the 5* hype.

Malik Henry is a pretty safe bet at being pretty good at the next level.

In terms of potential ceiling: Pass -> Patterson -> Henry

In terms of bust potential: Pass -> Patterson -> Henry

Couldn't agree more.

I'm not much of a the BOOM or BUST prospects because why many get caught up in the "what if's" they rarely see the actually likelihood of such prospects actually coming anywhere close to there potential upside is extremely slim.

As I said before if the staff is comfortable with the QB's they already have then taking such a risk is much easier but that said there are quite a few QB's I would take before Pass.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bump without any real news, but I figured I'd see what things look like given it's been a couple months. I think 18-20 sounds like a solid number to base the class on. Disclaimer: This may seem quite optomistic, but this is provided that ND wins 11-12 games like it should next year. Here's the position breakdown as I see it. Bolded are my predictions

QB(1)-Pursue a QB as always. Some of the top QBs won't want to sit behind Wimbush(like Henry). The biggest name I have heard is Dwayne Haskins, and that would be phenomenal to follow up Wimbush.

RB(1-2)-A feature back would be nice, after whiffing on Hood and Soso. Robert Washington is high on ND and perhaps he would be taken as a second back. The commitment of Kareem Walker to OSU could nudge DeMario McCall to ND. Also look out for Elijah Holyfield

WR(2-3)-This really is open season. ND appears to be into a lot of receiver types, but I couldn't really guess anybody this early.

TE(0-1)-I know we should take a TE, but I have a hard time seeing us fit one in. No one leaves after next year. And it will be hard to find a TE wanting to follow Aliz'e. If we do take one, my guess is Luke Farrell. And he would a solid get

OL(3)-Kraemer is in the fold, I like our odds with Eichenberg and Parker Boudreaux to finish out. Kind of cut and dry, but things can change.

DL(4)-Going to need a few big-time ends and probably a big-time DT, plus a depth type. Early on names to watch are Josh King, Shane Simmons, Breland Brandt, Prince Sammons, Olowe Betiku, Terrell Hall. I like ND to get Josh King and either Simmons or Sammons. At DT my money is on Naquan Jones as a depth guy plus either Rashan Gary or Garrett Rand.

LB(3)-Need a solid MLB, a Jaylon-type(because he might declare after 2015), and a depth guy. I like Ethan Tucky for the depth guy. In the middle best bets right now are likely Lokeni Toailoa or Jaquan Yulee. My personal fave is Shaquille Quarterman, but I doubt that happens. The list ND can hopefully get a elite OLB from is Tre Lamar, Caleb Kelly, Daelin Hayes, and Keion Joyner.

DB(3)-One elite corner, one elite S and a solid depth safety. For the depth spot I like Damar Hamlin early. The group of elite safeties is comprised of Eric Monroe, Brandon Jones, Shurod Thompson, Nigel Warrior, and Deontay Anderson. They are all going to long shots, but one of them would be ideal. At corner ND can hold out for a stud and early favorites are Trevon Sidney, Trayvon Mullen, Chauncey Gardner, Saivion Smith and Levonta Taylor. I also like Khalil Ladler here.

Now this is just my take, it's super early and it's super optimistic. But that's the fun of project a year in advance.

Sorry to bump without any real news, but I figured I'd see what things look like given it's been a couple months. I think 18-20 sounds like a solid number to base the class on. Disclaimer: This may seem quite optomistic, but this is provided that ND wins 11-12 games like it should next year. Here's the position breakdown as I see it. Bolded are my predictions

QB(1)-Pursue a QB as always. Some of the top QBs won't want to sit behind Wimbush(like Henry). The biggest name I have heard is Dwayne Haskins, and that would be phenomenal to follow up Wimbush.

RB(1-2)-A feature back would be nice, after whiffing on Hood and Soso. Robert Washington is high on ND and perhaps he would be taken as a second back. The commitment of Kareem Walker to OSU could nudge DeMario McCall to ND. Also look out for Elijah Holyfield

WR(2-3)-This really is open season. ND appears to be into a lot of receiver types, but I couldn't really guess anybody this early.

TE(0-1)-I know we should take a TE, but I have a hard time seeing us fit one in. No one leaves after next year. And it will be hard to find a TE wanting to follow Aliz'e. If we do take one, my guess is Luke Farrell. And he would a solid get

OL(3)-Kraemer is in the fold, I like our odds with Eichenberg and Parker Boudreaux to finish out. Kind of cut and dry, but things can change.

DL(4)-Going to need a few big-time ends and probably a big-time DT, plus a depth type. Early on names to watch are Josh King, Shane Simmons, Breland Brandt, Prince Sammons, Olowe Betiku, Terrell Hall. I like ND to get Josh King and either Simmons or Sammons. At DT my money is on Naquan Jones as a depth guy plus either Rashan Gary or Garrett Rand.

LB(3)-Need a solid MLB, a Jaylon-type(because he might declare after 2015), and a depth guy. I like Ethan Tucky for the depth guy. In the middle best bets right now are likely Lokeni Toailoa or Jaquan Yulee. My personal fave is Shaquille Quarterman, but I doubt that happens. The list ND can hopefully get a elite OLB from is Tre Lamar, Caleb Kelly, Daelin Hayes, and Keion Joyner.

DB(3)-One elite corner, one elite S and a solid depth safety. For the depth spot I like Damar Hamlin early. The group of elite safeties is comprised of Eric Monroe, Brandon Jones, Shurod Thompson, Nigel Warrior, and Deontay Anderson. They are all going to long shots, but one of them would be ideal. At corner ND can hold out for a stud and early favorites are Trevon Sidney, Trayvon Mullen, Chauncey Gardner, Saivion Smith and Levonta Taylor. I also like Khalil Ladler here.

Now this is just my take, it's super early and it's super optimistic. But that's the fun of project a year in advance.

Not bad.

QB - 1 needs to be taken in every class. Haskins would be a great get but at the top of my list would be Shea Patterson.

RB - 2/3 - after whiffing in '14 and only 1 currently in '15 the depth isn't good at all at the moment. Even with another in '15, I think 3 is what is needed and a power back, APB along with a traditional RB would be nice.

WR - 2 - ND is pretty loaded at WR to the point that they can be real selective. They can swing for the fences in this class for the elite WRs. If ESB is Irish in '15 then they are set for big WRs and unless they are the best of the best I think the '16 WR class will be about high end speed.

TE - 0/1 - a position that they will be ultra selective about and unless they can land one of a very select few I imagine they will pass on taking one.

OL - 3/5 - a minimum of 3 is needed and with only 2 in '15 and OL injuries are starting to thin the depth. 4 is likely and if the grants and talent are there for 5 I think they go with 5. As for Eichenberg it's still possibility but the momentum has heavily shifted to tOSU.

DT - 1/2 - ND has added quite a few DTs in the last few class and have gotten some good one's but not great one's. The depth is there now the talent level needs to be raised Day and Jones moving on in the next year or two. I think with having depth in the fold that this will be a postion that they will swing for the fences for as well.

DE - 3/? - The pass rush has been poor and its young but there is some good talent there but it's one of the weaker spots for ND and this is where I think most of the '16 DL recruits end up. Do you really think ND flip Breland Brandt from UCLA?

LB - 3/4 - A MLB might not be needed in the class, After next season they will have Morgan, Coney, Deeb, Greer(who IMO is best suited for MLB) and maybe Grace if he can return and get a mRS. OLBs as a whole has not been great. The depth isn't there and the '15 class is a good start but much more is needed especially with Jaylon moving on after next season.

S - ? - The depth at S is still poor and even getting another in '15 isn't going to solve the problem. I don't have a number in mind but top talent and depth is needed.

CB - ? - The depth is going take hit here soon and more top talent is needed soon because imo Russell and Cole are gone after next season. I think Crawford and Watkins are the real deal and they've added some depth with the '15 class but better talent is needed and they have to get some top CB talent and not just some who have the chance to develop into top talent. Ready made talent is what's really needed.

If you a want a speed receiver ND is in good shape with Tre Nixon. Many believe he is the fastest guy in the class. Mack would be the other receiver I really hope they land.

As for the corner, I've heard some really good things about Coleman lately. I think he is gonna be the real deal.

• 3 weeks later...