Arik Armstead, USC Decommit

OklahomaIrish

Arik was on campus when things were so electric and the campus was stunning. The weather was perfect. The excitement at Notre Dame is building with other sports excelling. Not only did the men defeat the #1 team in the country, but the women sell out the Joyce (Purcell Pavillion) every single game and that program will just continue to stay at the very top. Muffet has an outstanding recruiting class coming in. In the last 6 days my daughter who is in the band, witnessed a number one team (Syracuse) and a #3 team (Michigan) go down literally within a few hours. The new hockey arena is gorgeous and we may have the top ice hockey program in the country. Just sayin, if Arik looks on this board, no university has a future like Notre Dame.

So...you are either wearing 2 pairs of blue and gold colored glasses or Hawaii sent you some fresh home brew from paradise....

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Donovan McNabb, and then Ronald Curry and Julius Peppers at NC. Also, Antwan Randle El and James Hardy each respectively played football and basketball for a couple years until each left basketball to focus on their burgeoning football careers.

Just a few I can think of. Greg Paulus never played both basketball and football at the same time, but he did play both, and was a high level recruit coming out of high school for both sports. Gary Harris, this year, was receiving football interest from a lot of schools until he stated he was only going to play basketball in college (damn Spartans...).

http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/4e97047369bedd1a11000006-590/atlanta-falcons-tight-end-tony-gonzalez-played-college-basketball-at-cal.jpg

So...you are either wearing 2 pairs of blue and gold colored glasses or Hawaii sent you some fresh home brew from paradise....

The only positive thing I've seen recently is him tweeting back and forth w/ ND guys.

Any positive mojo from bball is quickly diminished when the next coach calls.

Never really felt he'd be Irish, glad he isn't a major need.

Donovan McNabb, and then Ronald Curry and Julius Peppers at NC. Also, Antwan Randle El and James Hardy each respectively played football and basketball for a couple years until each left basketball to focus on their burgeoning football careers.

Just a few I can think of. Greg Paulus never played both basketball and football at the same time, but he did play both, and was a high level recruit coming out of high school for both sports. Gary Harris, this year, was receiving football interest from a lot of schools until he stated he was only going to play basketball in college (damn Spartans...).

That's true but my reply was to the suggestion that arik was comparable to harangody. and the guys you list were legitimate basketball players. I think curry was rated as one of the best players in the country--a 5* for sure. I've never seen arik listed or thought of as a high major recruit.

On another note I knew and followed kyle rudolph as a basketball player long before I did football.

http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/4e97047369bedd1a11000006-590/atlanta-falcons-tight-end-tony-gonzalez-played-college-basketball-at-cal.jpg

I thought of him, but then for some reason he was like Antonio Gates and only played basketball in college before switching over. Obviously, you can see how much attention I pay to the Pac-10/12/whatever.

I thought of him, but then for some reason he was like Antonio Gates and only played basketball in college before switching over. Obviously, you can see how much attention I pay to the Pac-10/12/whatever.

Played football and basketball. Good player along with Jason Kidd on the team that went to the Sweet 16

You know, he probably watched the game on tv. I sure hope so. I can't imagine a more exciting and emotional enviornment other then what Notre Dame can provide. I was at the Notre Dame / Connecticut game and it didn't have all that excitement, but that arena is so sweet. It's better and more colorfull then Duke's. It has such a awesome 'feel' to it. I wish Arik could have been at the Syracuse game. How can anyone not want to be a part of that. If he looks into the program he will see that we will be top; of the Big East very soon. These kids are all coming back except Martin and we have 3 fabulous recruits for next year. We also have a 6' 10'' transfer that will play next year and the 6' 9'' Katenda, thought to be lost due to injury, will be a force of a shot blocker next year. The future is amazing in both football and basketbll---surely you can see that Arik. Come join us!!!!

Basketball is such a great recruiting resource for Football. I think Brian Kelly has taken advantage of that better than other recent ND coaches.. Might be because he came from a school with a basketball tradition in Cincy. I believe Kelly understands that recruiting is a long process and basketball is the sport in season on football signing day. I believe Kelly first commit Collinsworth came after he went to a ND basketball game..

If we Get Arik, Coach Kelly will have to thank Coach Brey for a big assist

NFL is littered with former PFs playing TE. Gates, Gonzalez and Graham all come to mind off the top of my head. Just goes to show, basketball players are the most purely athletic group of athletes around.

The Colts have utilized this theory with Marcus Pollard, and later with Joe Reitz, who played PF at Western Michigan and now is an offensive lineman.

you are wrong, that is all...

seriously...i wanna see them perform in other arenas. Do they have the endurance of soccer players, toughness of football players, or the pure skill of Olympians? Now, Derrick Rose and Lebron may be some of the best all-around athletes out there, but they pair up nicely with others in other sports.

seriously...i wanna see them perform in other arenas. Do they have the endurance of soccer players, toughness of football players, or the pure skill of Olympians? Now, Derrick Rose and Lebron may be some of the best all-around athletes out there, but they pair up nicely with others in other sports.

By pure athleticism, I mean measurable explosiveness and quickness. Jumping, running, etc. Toughness is not an athletic ability, and could go to hockey and football players who endure bumps and bruises from constant collisions. Endurance, sure the nod definitely goes to soccer players or marathon runners. Skill is also not an athletic ability. Hitting major league pitching is definitely harder than making a lay up or three pointer.

But on a pure explosive athletic ability, I have to go with basketball. Also take into account that people that big should not be that athletic, Dwight Howard is a 1 in a multi-million type of guy. Basketball and soccer are two of the more purely organic athletic games out there: ball, players, goal. Not a whole lot of rules and set plays are not as critical as they are in football. Why basketball gets the nod is because there are not athletes on the planet that are 6'6" can run like deer and jump through the roof. NBA is also the hardest professional league to be a part of as well.

People can disagree all they want, but they'll be wrong. Carry On.

By pure athleticism, I mean measurable explosiveness and quickness. Jumping, running, etc. Toughness is not an athletic ability, and could go to hockey and football players who endure bumps and bruises from constant collisions. Endurance, sure the nod definitely goes to soccer players or marathon runners. Skill is also not an athletic ability. Hitting major league pitching is definitely harder than making a lay up or three pointer.

But on a pure explosive athletic ability, I have to go with basketball. Also take into account that people that big should not be that athletic, Dwight Howard is a 1 in a multi-million type of guy. Basketball and soccer are two of the more purely organic athletic games out there: ball, players, goal. Not a whole lot of rules and set plays are not as critical as they are in football. Why basketball gets the nod is because there are not athletes on the planet that are 6'6" can run like deer and jump through the roof. NBA is also the hardest professional league to be a part of as well.

People can disagree all they want, but they'll be wrong. Carry On.

Id have to agree with this.

Absolutely ridiculous athletes that combine power, skill, and endurance with freakish size.

Take for example a guy like Steve Nash. He looks like a midget on a basketball court and then you realize the guy is 6'3"!! (he also could have been a world-class soccer player if thats what he prefered..his bro was on the canadian national team for a decade and admitted he was the 2nd best player in his fam).

Put Lebron James on a football field or have Derek Rose grow up in Brazil and play soccer, or have Blake Griffin grow up in Alberta and learn how to skate, theres no way these guys arent world class.

I really liked Nash when he played with Dallas. I wish he was around last year for the championship. Speaking of Great Athletes, I think Dirk Nowitski is pretty amazing. I have to admit, even though the Thunder are in my backyard, I still like Dallas in basketball. Kevein Durant is very special not just as a player but he is really a great guy.

Now speaking of the very best athletes?? I have to go with those 98 pound girl gymnists. Just look at how they propel themselves through the air and twist and turn and land on their feet. Could you imagine Michael Jordan flying through the lane like that and then slamming home a goal.

I had not read that Armstead failed his medical tests. I have not seen that anywhere. It makes sense though. anybody have a source for that?