Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2019, 04:43 PM
Domer Domain All American

Default I Stopped Watching After Bilal Got "Injured"

I said in another thread that I've been cooling off on ND Football to help with my stress levels (doctor's orders, among other things)

In any case, I was still watching the game, but with tempered expectations. Right when a second Notre Dame defender (Bilal) faked an injury, I honestly turned off the TV

I immediately thought we basically already lost if we have to resort to cheap tricks like that. That was really embarrassing and honestly the team deserved to get boo'd (you know we would do it if a team did that to us). They may still keep it close, but you essentially already lost the game if you have to do that.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 09-23-2019, 05:16 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post
I said in another thread that I've been cooling off on ND Football to help with my stress levels (doctor's orders, among other things)

In any case, I was still watching the game, but with tempered expectations. Right when a second Notre Dame defender (Bilal) faked an injury, I honestly turned off the TV

I immediately thought we basically already lost if we have to resort to cheap tricks like that. That was really embarrassing and honestly the team deserved to get boo'd (you know we would do it if a team did that to us). They may still keep it close, but you essentially already lost the game if you have to do that.
Iíve been seeing this on social media a lot of NDís ďfake injuries.Ē I had to mention to those Georgia fans about the time in 2013 Leonard Floyd faked an injury during the Clemson game. Same exact thing. Anyways, Iíve seen it A TON nowadays. Itís not just ND.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:49 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Who cares.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:56 PM

This happens all the time and never gets mentioned because the players donít make it so damn obvious.

The fact Gilman had to push Owusu down just looked pathetic.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:58 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
This happens all the time and never gets mentioned because the players donít make it so damn obvious.

The fact Gilman had to push Owusu down just looked pathetic.
Honestly, go look at the Floyd injury against Clemson. Exact same thing happen. The Georgia guy gets a cue and grabs Floyd and he falls down. Itís a new norm sadly. But I donít really care at this point.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:12 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Honest question:
Do we know that this was a faked injury?
Really?

I think it's entirely possible that he really was injured but was kind of taking his time showing it. The other player recognized the kid was injured/dazed and that there's no time. Either get to the ground or get off the field right now. Don't walk around in a daze, don't try to work it out on the field. Either go down or sprint off. Since neither was happening, he pushed the guy to the ground.

Of course ND is not going to come out and say he faked an injury. It didn't have a great look on TV, but I think the kid probably either had a head injury or something else.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:10 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Gruene View Post
Honest question:
Do we know that this was a faked injury?
Really?

I think it's entirely possible that he really was injured but was kind of taking his time showing it. The other player recognized the kid was injured/dazed and that there's no time. Either get to the ground or get off the field right now. Don't walk around in a daze, don't try to work it out on the field. Either go down or sprint off. Since neither was happening, he pushed the guy to the ground.

Of course ND is not going to come out and say he faked an injury. It didn't have a great look on TV, but I think the kid probably either had a head injury or something else.
Agreed - maybe people shouldn't rush to judgment when it comes to injuries. It looked bad during the game (I was there), and I heard that Danielson accused ND of faking injuries. But JOK left the game and got evaluated for a concussion. Maybe Gilman pulled him down so that he wouldn't get torched on the next play and set UGA up for the score and the win. I don't know what happened with Bilal, but he missed several plays thereafter. If he was faking, he would have missed one play and then come back in.

If you think they were faking, then that's your opinion. I don't really question guys who have to get evaluated for a possible concussion and another who has to miss the next series just because it came when UGA was driving.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:29 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

JOK didn't play the entire next series as he was going through concussion protocol, so the idea he faked anything is dumb as hell. Danielson was fellating Georgia all game, even when they were being outplayed and for him to continue to act like it was faked was unfair at best, malicious at worst.

Kelly says Bilal was cramping, but who's to say really?
Old 09-23-2019, 09:27 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Oh all the things to complain about... ffs

If we didn't do it then people would complain we are not ruthless enough. Whatever.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:07 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

He was clearly hurt and Gilman was smart enough to tell him to take a knee. I have to do this during soccer all the time when a guy is limping around and is too stubborn to go down so we can get him out of the game.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:

Every team has that in their play book...literally. Get over it. Well...I guess you have. haha.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvNO1 View Post
He was clearly hurt and Gilman was smart enough to tell him to take a knee. I have to do this during soccer all the time when a guy is limping around and is too stubborn to go down so we can get him out of the game.
No way...the first was a flop coordinated with Gilman who saw the signal from the sideline. The second was real and Fromm acted like a little whiny b*tch about it...jumping up and down like a five year old girl.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:28 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
No way...the first was a flop coordinated with Gilman who saw the signal from the sideline. The second was real and Fromm acted like a little whiny b*tch about it...jumping up and down like a five year old girl.
Again JOK was out the entire next series in the concussion tent. So if that was fake Iím not sure they needed to go that far.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Every team has that in their play book...literally. Get over it. Well...I guess you have. haha.
lol yup...I got over it

But I should stress that the caliber of team that we like to think we are don't do this
Old 09-23-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
The second one was absolutely fake...in the replay you can see he was standing around just fine, then all of a sudden puts his hand by his eyes and falls down

First one was actually more believable
Old 09-23-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soko View Post
Oh all the things to complain about... ffs

If we didn't do it then people would complain we are not ruthless enough. Whatever.
Absolutely NO ONE would say that
Old 09-23-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
Iíve been seeing this on social media a lot of NDís ďfake injuries.Ē I had to mention to those Georgia fans about the time in 2013 Leonard Floyd faked an injury during the Clemson game. Same exact thing. Anyways, Iíve seen it A TON nowadays. Itís not just ND.
Just because they did doesn't mean we should accept it

Quote:
Originally Posted by golson5 View Post
Who cares.
I honestly forgot the exact game, but I remember a team pulling this against us and everyone was up in arms about it...everyone will care if it's done against their team.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:13 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:

The kids was limping and he was pulled down to take advantage of it. Too many times kids stay in when gimpy and do nothing for the team.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:54 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer Dude View Post
The kids was limping and he was pulled down to take advantage of it. Too many times kids stay in when gimpy and do nothing for the team.
Definitely agree with the second part. Or they will mask an injury to tough it out and not be thought of as a p---y. Been there done that. This is one of the arguments surrounding the CTE issue and concussion protocols. Players or coaches can't decide they are good to go and get back out on the field. They now have to go through the testing process by a trainer before they can go back out. It's not perfect by any means. I know a few times I was yelling at teammates( and to the sidelines) to get down because they were hurt but were trying to stay in the game. Didn't matter the situation. Of course there were a few times I probably should have gotten out of a game but stayed in being a hypocrite. 🤔
Old 09-24-2019, 01:01 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Both guys looked injured to me. As mentioned, they both missed multiple plays. I don't think that'd be the case if they were faking it.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:13 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
The second one was absolutely fake...in the replay you can see he was standing around just fine, then all of a sudden puts his hand by his eyes and falls down

First one was actually more believable
I actually thought that Fromm might have poked him in the eye. Fromm's hand went back and was near the helmet and then the player put his hand to his eye.

Player was getting drops in his eyes on the sideline right after that
Old 09-24-2019, 10:36 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
lol yup...I got over it

But I should stress that the caliber of team that we like to think we are don't do this
Of course they do. Its very common and I have seen Bama do it several times.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:04 PM
Domer Domain Junior

I think both of them actually did have injuries

I think both if them could have made it off the field

But

If you try to make it off the field but donít in time, they penalize you.

So it does sort of incentivize you to just go down. Especially when the other tean is hot.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:05 PM
Domer Domain Junior

I think both of them actually did have injuries

I think both of them could have made it off the field

But

If you try to make it off the field but donít in time, they penalize you.

So it does sort of incentivize you to just go down. Especially when the other tean is hot.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:14 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

On a different thread, I posted my distain for the CBS crew's inability to actually do some work to find out if the players were actually injured. If you watch the two plays before the JOK injury, he sticks his head in to make a tackle. The next play he's just standing around not participating. Then Gilman tells him to get down. Why didn't CBS go back and try to figure out if he was actually injured instead of trashing the kid the rest of the second half? If he was dazed, then Gilman did the right thing.