Notre Dame Football News And Talk  


Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 01-17-2020, 11:26 PM
echo88's Avatar
echo88 echo88 is online now
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 10,185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsan View Post
Tired of the attitude that BK fu(ks sh!t up on purpose to sabotage your own personal dreams.

It is what it is...
Oh it's 100% not on purpose...
__________________
"If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy." - Flemming Rose
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

  #77  
Old 01-17-2020, 11:56 PM
Jim2Dokes Jim2Dokes is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Skorpio View Post
It's not even worth it to argue. ND, Cold Seat Kelly, and Savvy Jack are happy to coast to 8-10 wins against soft schedules. We should apologize for dreaming of more.

I like Tommy and want him to succeed at ND and wherever else, but there's a lot of reason to be skeptical of this hire - chief among them that Kelly seems to be getting back to comfortable/buddy hiring mode again.

In my useless opinion, the best path forward if Rees is so good and Kelly doesn't have his hands in the offense would have been to bring in a premiere OC and promote Tommy to QB coach/Passing Game Coordinator and let him grow into the role. A good OC would push the offense forward and have viable offers in 1-3 years so Rees could be full OC at that point.
The last part is exactly what happened. Rees was the QBs coach during the last two years.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 01-18-2020, 01:01 AM
JTennant's Avatar
JTennant JTennant is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 4,462
Send a message via Yahoo to JTennant
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Skorpio View Post
It's not even worth it to argue. ND, Cold Seat Kelly, and Savvy Jack are happy to coast to 8-10 wins against soft schedules. We should apologize for dreaming of more.

I like Tommy and want him to succeed at ND and wherever else, but there's a lot of reason to be skeptical of this hire - chief among them that Kelly seems to be getting back to comfortable/buddy hiring mode again.

In my useless opinion, the best path forward if Rees is so good and Kelly doesn't have his hands in the offense would have been to bring in a premiere OC and promote Tommy to QB coach/Passing Game Coordinator and let him grow into the role. A good OC would push the offense forward and have viable offers in 1-3 years so Rees could be full OC at that point.
Everyone schedules soft nowadays. BK's 3 predecessors would be .540 against these schedules.

It's trending in football to hire young coordinators and head coaches.

Matt Lafleur was our QB coach what 4 years ago and now the HC of the Packas.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 01-18-2020, 04:21 AM
Hank Skorpio Hank Skorpio is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTennant View Post
Everyone schedules soft nowadays. BK's 3 predecessors would be .540 against these schedules.

It's trending in football to hire young coordinators and head coaches.

Matt Lafleur was our QB coach what 4 years ago and now the HC of the Packas.
I'm not disputing that everyone is scheduling soft. I'm just disappointed that the ND admin pretends everything is great when we haven't gotten near the ultimate goal under Kelly. To use Jack's criteria, I don't think anyone outside ND thinks we are truly "in the conversation" given our prolific under-performances.

I have no problem with the trend of hiring young coordinators and coaches. I do think it's fair to be skeptical when a coach with a history of uninspired, comfortable, buddy hires makes this choice. As I said above, I thought the situation presented an opportunity to give Tommy a great mentor and still get a promotion. He may be a great mind with a promising future, but to this point, his in-depth exposure to non-Kelly offense/coach rooms/etc. is limited to a year each at Northwestern and San Diego.

I truly hope Tommy excels in the position. I just feel strongly that Kelly/ND short-armed the hire just as we've seen them do in the past. In doing so, they are putting Tommy in a very difficult position and potentially not providing our student athletes their best chance to develop and win. At this point, only time will tell.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 01-18-2020, 05:31 AM
FaithInIrishForever's Avatar
FaithInIrishForever FaithInIrishForever is offline
Moderator
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 9,421
Default

What I'm recommending right now is blind faith. Imagine if you couldn't see the numbers, you were just young and your favorite team is going to play in the most historic stadium with the best tradition and the best fans in the nation.

That's how I get fired up every season. Let's let the team write the chapter, we know the last one had one expected bump and one deep dark embarrassing bump.

We knew when Rees was a player he was a coach on the field. We know that he's young enough to sleep in his office 4-5 days a week, and build himself a reputation, alot of the players feel he's connected to them by age and experience of being a player.

I have no choice but to let it roll, but I'm also choosing to be excited.
__________________
Moderator


Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz


Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 01-18-2020, 06:51 AM
4thand1 4thand1 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 261
Default

I'm glad that Rees got the job and that Taylor was promoted.

The players and recruits seem to like both and there are plenty of articles stating that. They are both recruiting the type of players that can hopefully take the team from the "dreaded" 10 win seasons to even better results.

I have no reason to think that Rees can't be effective and it's worth the chance to find out.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 01-20-2020, 12:41 PM
Incurorish's Avatar
Incurorish Incurorish is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: South Bend
Posts: 254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithInIrishForever View Post
What I'm recommending right now is blind faith. Imagine if you couldn't see the numbers, you were just young and your favorite team is going to play in the most historic stadium with the best tradition and the best fans in the nation.

That's how I get fired up every season. Let's let the team write the chapter, we know the last one had one expected bump and one deep dark embarrassing bump.

We knew when Rees was a player he was a coach on the field. We know that he's young enough to sleep in his office 4-5 days a week, and build himself a reputation, alot of the players feel he's connected to them by age and experience of being a player.

I have no choice but to let it roll, but I'm also choosing to be excited.
This is the attitude we ought to have. Tommy is here for better or for worse. Tommy is Notre Dame. His story will always be intertwined with ND. He will fight for his Alma Mater. We need to support this decision because it is what we have for the next 2-3 years. I for one want to continue the success we have right now and strive for the next level.

Kelly had a lot at stake by choosing Reesus. If the team sinks, Kelly's last years are remembered as crap and any form of legacy is tainted. Tommy may walk out relatively unscathed but he does love this university and wants to do everything he can to give back what it gave to him.
__________________
"If you burn your neighbor's house down, it doesn't make your house look any better." -Lou Holtz
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 01-20-2020, 01:52 PM
jbrown_9999 jbrown_9999 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,262
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Skorpio View Post
I'm not disputing that everyone is scheduling soft. I'm just disappointed that the ND admin pretends everything is great when we haven't gotten near the ultimate goal under Kelly. To use Jack's criteria, I don't think anyone outside ND thinks we are truly "in the conversation" given our prolific under-performances.

I have no problem with the trend of hiring young coordinators and coaches. I do think it's fair to be skeptical when a coach with a history of uninspired, comfortable, buddy hires makes this choice. As I said above, I thought the situation presented an opportunity to give Tommy a great mentor and still get a promotion. He may be a great mind with a promising future, but to this point, his in-depth exposure to non-Kelly offense/coach rooms/etc. is limited to a year each at Northwestern and San Diego.

I truly hope Tommy excels in the position. I just feel strongly that Kelly/ND short-armed the hire just as we've seen them do in the past. In doing so, they are putting Tommy in a very difficult position and potentially not providing our student athletes their best chance to develop and win. At this point, only time will tell.
Rees may or may not be amazing as an OC but I feel there would be less risk if Kelly had hired someone with more experience and better credentials.

Has it even been established that Rees was an excellent QB coach?

It is also potentially telling that Rees interviewed at both Oregon and Northwestern and neither seemed to want to hire him as their OC.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 01-20-2020, 07:22 PM
KellyisNasty KellyisNasty is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTennant View Post
Everyone schedules soft nowadays. BK's 3 predecessors would be .540 against these schedules.

It's trending in football to hire young coordinators and head coaches.

Matt Lafleur was our QB coach what 4 years ago and now the HC of the Packas.
Uh no. His predecessors had a Pete Carrol led USC and dominant Stanford and even MSU teams. They played teams that had Matt Ryan, Luke Kuechly, Drew Brees, Calvin Johnson etc etc.

Now we play a bunch of crappy ACC teams and lower division teams and lose to anyone that is good. Kelly started with a full cupboard and a bunch of concessions that none of his predecessors ever got. He was so far advantaged over anyone since Lou that its not even a fair comparison.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 01-21-2020, 02:32 PM
irishwavend's Avatar
irishwavend irishwavend is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Happiest Place on Earth, FL
Posts: 6,670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyisNasty View Post
Uh no. His predecessors had a Pete Carrol led USC and dominant Stanford and even MSU teams. They played teams that had Matt Ryan, Luke Kuechly, Drew Brees, Calvin Johnson etc etc.

Now we play a bunch of crappy ACC teams and lower division teams and lose to anyone that is good. Kelly started with a full cupboard and a bunch of concessions that none of his predecessors ever got. He was so far advantaged over anyone since Lou that its not even a fair comparison.
Ty would only win two or three games a season, because he refused to recruit; so we'd have a bunch of walkons competing... We'd basically be Rutgers or some other crappy program with writers claiming Notre Dame's academics are too hard and Notre Dame finally died and became Ivy..... Maybe Charlie could win. Maybe Davie... They both recruited well, but I think Kelly recruits better.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 01-21-2020, 04:12 PM
KellyisNasty KellyisNasty is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
Ty would only win two or three games a season, because he refused to recruit; so we'd have a bunch of walkons competing... We'd basically be Rutgers or some other crappy program with writers claiming Notre Dame's academics are too hard and Notre Dame finally died and became Ivy..... Maybe Charlie could win. Maybe Davie... They both recruited well, but I think Kelly recruits better.
I'm not saying that any of them were better coaches, just that it is difficult to compare them. I'd be interested in seeing what an up-and-coming HC could do with a team full of talent and modern facilities.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 01-23-2020, 09:56 PM
JTennant's Avatar
JTennant JTennant is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 4,462
Send a message via Yahoo to JTennant
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyisNasty View Post
I'm not saying that any of them were better coaches, just that it is difficult to compare them. I'd be interested in seeing what an up-and-coming HC could do with a team full of talent and modern facilities.

Only if you over generalize statements, use vague references, and blatantly disregard context and trends to suit your narrative about how much you loathe Brian Kelly.


they were literally the linear predecessor of what we have and there were very few if any improvements to our facilities etc post Weis during Brian's Early years.


It would be difficult to compare Brian Kelly to Faust, Devine, etc etc


"But but but Purdue had Drew Brees and Taylor Stubblefield, and USC had the greatest coach not name Bellicheck or Saban.." You are one of the most anti ND "ND fans" on here
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 01-23-2020, 11:20 PM
JoeBrasco JoeBrasco is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyisNasty View Post
Uh no. His predecessors had a Pete Carrol led USC and dominant Stanford and even MSU teams. They played teams that had Matt Ryan, Luke Kuechly, Drew Brees, Calvin Johnson etc etc.

Now we play a bunch of crappy ACC teams and lower division teams and lose to anyone that is good. Kelly started with a full cupboard and a bunch of concessions that none of his predecessors ever got. He was so far advantaged over anyone since Lou that its not even a fair comparison.
One of the most irrational and illogical posts I have ever seen on these boards. Congrats.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 01-24-2020, 12:11 AM
VCDomer's Avatar
VCDomer VCDomer is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 6,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incurorish View Post
This is the attitude we ought to have. Tommy is here for better or for worse. Tommy is Notre Dame. His story will always be intertwined with ND. He will fight for his Alma Mater. We need to support this decision because it is what we have for the next 2-3 years. I for one want to continue the success we have right now and strive for the next level.

Kelly had a lot at stake by choosing Reesus. If the team sinks, Kelly's last years are remembered as crap and any form of legacy is tainted. Tommy may walk out relatively unscathed but he does love this university and wants to do everything he can to give back what it gave to him.
Line up men! Go over the hill!
__________________


Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do!
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 01-24-2020, 12:23 AM
foreverirish34's Avatar
foreverirish34 foreverirish34 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gates of Yosemite
Posts: 2,582
Default

Iím saying it right now after Iíve had time to digest this, this is going to be a home run hire.
__________________
THE BEST FOOTBALL IS PLAYED IN CALI!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 01-24-2020, 12:39 AM
Rocketsan's Avatar
Rocketsan Rocketsan is offline
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,927
Default

Wish they would have brought Jarious Jackson back...he just signed as OC of the Toronto Argonauts.
__________________
http://imageshack.com/a/img546/3410/0at9.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 01-24-2020, 08:19 PM
KellyisNasty KellyisNasty is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTennant View Post
Only if you over generalize statements, use vague references, and blatantly disregard context and trends to suit your narrative about how much you loathe Brian Kelly.


they were literally the linear predecessor of what we have and there were very few if any improvements to our facilities etc post Weis during Brian's Early years.


It would be difficult to compare Brian Kelly to Faust, Devine, etc etc


"But but but Purdue had Drew Brees and Taylor Stubblefield, and USC had the greatest coach not name Bellicheck or Saban.." You are one of the most anti ND "ND fans" on here
Cry more. It really changes my opinion of an above average coach that can't elevate his players and gets clown-stomped by teams with equal or greater talent.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 01-25-2020, 12:18 AM
jessemoore97 jessemoore97 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 3,813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverirish34 View Post
Iím saying it right now after Iíve had time to digest this, this is going to be a home run hire.
Another site had link to podcast where Blake Fisher talked about Rees vision for the offense. Said Rees called him and said he wants to run the ball and tailor offense to strengths of the players, not fit round pegs in square holes.

While that's music to my ears, I'm skeptical if that approach will be allowed. I will say that OL run blocking needs to get drastically better in both scheme and execution.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Also visit IrishEnvy, our Notre Dame Football partner site

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:49 AM.

Last Updated: April 2, 2020

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.