Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2020, 01:20 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
Wait, you said LSU will go back to losing games when Burrow leaves. Now, they are super talented and Orgeron only won because of talent? I’m more confused. Also, last time I checked Orgeron has a title. Kelly does not. But I agree with in this regard, I wouldn’t want Orgeron coaching ND.
Yeah, they won’t be going unbeaten. They won’t fall to 8-4/7-5, but they aren’t going to be winning 11/12 games every yr either.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 01-14-2020, 01:22 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
If Orgeron is that great, then Kelly must be even better since he beat him head to head just 2 yrs ago. Or could it be that he lucked out in landing one of the best college QBs of all time? Seriously, Orgeron isnít that good all this ridiculous hype just shows how dumb the majority of sports fans are. ďOh he talks funny, heís got such a great personality, that means heís a great coach.Ē Wrong, youíre all idiots for buying into the hype.

Heís a competent coach, but heís not elite and that will be shown in the yrs to come after Burrow and Brady leave
What are you even talking about? Now I donít watch all that much espn, but I havenít seen anyone calling him some sort of coaching savant. I havenít seen anyone on this board put him up there with Saban/Swinney/Meyer but he has to be next right? Heís been LSUís coach for 3 full seasons and heís lost the citrus bowl to Kelly, won the Fiesta Bowl, then beat Saban, Smart, Riley and Swinney in a single season to win a title. He isnít a Xs and Os guy, but his teams always seem to play hard and to love him, and playing hard and physically is more than half the battle in college.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:23 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, they wonít be going unbeaten. They wonít fall to 8-4/7-5, but they arenít going to be winning 11/12 games every yr either.
Fair enough. I wonít argue with you on this point. I agree.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:27 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardo View Post
What are you even talking about? Now I donít watch all that much espn, but I havenít seen anyone calling him some sort of coaching savant. I havenít seen anyone on this board put him up there with Saban/Swinney/Meyer but he has to be next right? Heís been LSUís coach for 3 full seasons and heís lost the citrus bowl to Kelly, won the Fiesta Bowl, then beat Saban, Smart, Riley and Swinney in a single season to win a title. He isnít a Xs and Os guy, but his teams always seem to play hard and to love him, and playing hard and physically is more than half the battle in college.
The social media hype is annoying. Everyone is riding his jock, when really it should be about Burrow and Brady.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:29 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
The social media hype is annoying. Everyone is riding his jock, when really it should be about Burrow and Brady.
That's fair, but you don't you think Orgeron had a hand in those guys being at LSU? Burrow didn't just randomly pick LSU.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:42 PM
Domer Domain All American

It was just LSU's and Burrow's year. Dominated everyone they played. Incredible qb year. Best I've seen. Closest game I can recall for them was Florida and Texas, and they weren't crazy close. Congrats to LSU! Very, very impressive campaign.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:54 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCIrish99 View Post
It was just LSU's and Burrow's year. Dominated everyone they played. Incredible qb year. Best I've seen. Closest game I can recall for them was Florida and Texas, and they weren't crazy close. Congrats to LSU! Very, very impressive campaign.
Yeah, this is one for the ages. Think about everyone they went through to get here. Reminds me of the 88 season. They beat
# 2 Clemson
# 4 Georgia
# 6 Florida
# 7 Oklahoma
# 8 Alabama
# 14 Auburn
# 25 Texas
# 26 Texas A&M
Damn thatís freaking impressive!!
Old 01-14-2020, 02:31 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
The media interviewing a weird, charismatic guy who has now won back to back major bowls is riding his jock? What about having Saban on the championship broadcast? Was that riding his jock? Again I havenít seen anyone call Coach O a phenomenal coach, he just gets talked about because heís out of the ordinary in this day and age and that leads you to get real butthurt and cry ďOVERRRATTED!Ē

Itís weird that youíre mad that people think this guy, by all accounts is super likable, is likable.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:24 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
The media interviewing a weird, charismatic guy who has now won back to back major bowls is riding his jock? What about having Saban on the championship broadcast? Was that riding his jock? Again I havenít seen anyone call Coach O a phenomenal coach, he just gets talked about because heís out of the ordinary in this day and age and that leads you to get real butthurt and cry ďOVERRRATTED!Ē

Itís weird that youíre mad that people think this guy, by all accounts is super likable, is likable.
Proof that you can't change the way people see things. On top of what you said, I think the majority of people are plain happy for the guy...a guy who admittedly cried when USC chose not to hire him & a guy who's been dismissed as a capable coach.

It's a feel-good story about the guy people doubted, who landed up back "home" in La, and who's getting to finally enjoy his moment.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:57 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:

Heís not the elite coach the media builds him up as. I donít care if heís nice, this is about Burrow and Brady, they deserve the bulk of credit, not him.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:58 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Heís not the elite coach the media builds him up as. I donít care if heís nice, this is about Burrow and Brady, they deserve the bulk of credit, not him.
Itís like you donít read other peopleís posts
Old 01-14-2020, 04:00 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDNorm View Post
Proof that you can't change the way people see things. On top of what you said, I think the majority of people are plain happy for the guy...a guy who admittedly cried when USC chose not to hire him & a guy who's been dismissed as a capable coach.

It's a feel-good story about the guy people doubted, who landed up back "home" in La, and who's getting to finally enjoy his moment.
Heís more than capable, but heís not building a dynasty. People need to cut through the fairytale bulls**t. This is real life, not a fckin Disney movie. LSU won bc they had perhaps the best Passing QB in CF history surrounded by the high volume of athletes theyíve always had. Thatís all, thereís no magical mystique about it.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:02 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Heís more than capable, but heís not building a dynasty. People need to cut through the fairytale bulls**t. This is real life, not a fckin Disney movie. LSU won bc they had perhaps the best Passing QB in CF history surrounded by the high volume of athletes theyíve always had. Thatís all, thereís no magical mystique about it.
By this logic, Nick Saban isn't an elite coach either then. He wins because he has better players than everyone else.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:04 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
He’s not the elite coach the media builds him up as. I don’t care if he’s nice, this is about Burrow and Brady, they deserve the bulk of credit, not him.
One more time, because I’m honestly starting to believe you can’t/won’t read: WHERE IS THE MEDIA BUILDING HIM UP TO BEING AN “ELITE” COACH? Again I’m not a huge ESPN guy but most of the stuff they talk about with him is his charisma and personality. I haven’t seen anyone say he’s a better coach than Dabo/Saban/Meyer, but now he HAS accomplished more than almost any other active coach but them, hasn’t he? Can’t he be a top 4-10 coach and be liked without you getting super irrationally weird about it? I can’t fathom being such a miserable dude where people being happy for a well liked guy makes me mad.

Quote:
He’s more than capable, but he’s not building a dynasty. People need to cut through the fairytale bulls**t. This is real life, not a fckin Disney movie. LSU won bc they had perhaps the best Passing QB in CF history surrounded by the high volume of athletes they’ve always had. That’s all, there’s no magical mystique about it.
But where are you getting this idea that people are expecting a dynasty? Do you think LSU will he above Clemson/Alabama in next years preseason polls? Because I don’t. You’re arguing against a strawman.

Last edited by Dardo; 01-14-2020 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:04 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
By this logic, Nick Saban isn't an elite coach either then. He wins because he has better players than everyone else.
Heís proven over many years he can get those elite players in the program and develop them, same with Swinney. Orgeron hasnít done that, and I honestly donít think heís even close to either of those 2.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:10 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Heís proven over many years he can get those elite players in the program and develop them, same with Swinney. Orgeron hasnít done that, and I honestly donít think heís even close to either of those 2.
He probably isn't close. But he also hasn't coached as long at them.

Nick Saban went 39-13 in his first 4 years at LSU and won a title in the 4th. Only two 10+ win seasons.

Orgeron has gone 40-9 and won a title in his 4th (sort of 3rd and a half) season. Two 10+ win seasons.

Is Orgeron going to turn into Nick Saban? Probably not. But no one knew Nick Saban was Nick Saban either after year 4 at LSU.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:20 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
He probably isn't close. But he also hasn't coached as long at them.

Nick Saban went 39-13 in his first 4 years at LSU and won a title in the 4th. Only two 10+ win seasons.

Orgeron has gone 40-9 and won a title in his 4th (sort of 3rd and a half) season. Two 10+ win seasons.

Is Orgeron going to turn into Nick Saban? Probably not. But no one knew Nick Saban was Nick Saban either after year 4 at LSU.
Saban had a longer more successful track record. He was Bellichickís DC 10 yrs before heading to LSU.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:42 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
One more time, because Iím honestly starting to believe you canít/wonít read: WHERE IS THE MEDIA BUILDING HIM UP TO BEING AN ďELITEĒ COACH? Again Iím not a huge ESPN guy but most of the stuff they talk about with him is his charisma and personality. I havenít seen anyone say heís a better coach than Dabo/Saban/Meyer, but now he HAS accomplished more than almost any other active coach but them, hasnít he? Canít he be a top 4-10 coach and be liked without you getting super irrationally weird about it? I canít fathom being such a miserable dude where people being happy for a well liked guy makes me mad.

But where are you getting this idea that people are expecting a dynasty? Do you think LSU will he above Clemson/Alabama in next years preseason polls? Because I donít. Youíre arguing against a strawman.
No point in wasting your time arguing with him. Heís clueless yet calls everyone else an idiot.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:45 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Now we know what greatness looks like.

Now it's time for ND to emulate it.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:08 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
ND beat LSU just 2 yrs ago. I’m not denigrating LSU, I just don’t think Orgeron is the great coach the media hyped him up as. I still think Swinney is far better. This LSU team is one of the best of the modern era, but so was ‘01 Miami coached by Larry Coker.
I cannot imagine why the media is "hyping" Coach O

In two years since getting beat by ND, Coach O has hired a coach away from the Saints to improve his offense and recruited the players he needed including a great talent at QB in order to go 15-0 and beat a bunch of ranked teams. Coach O leaves no doubt that he wants to motivate his team.

He won the NC and is someone "new" to talk about instead of Dabo and Saban.

Who else should the media be "hyping"?

Last edited by jbrown_9999; 01-14-2020 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:32 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

I don't think Ed O is some flavor of world-beater coach, but his success at LSU should be a clear indicator that sometimes coaches flourish with a different program. He didn't accomplish anything at Ole Miss....and now we is at the helm of a team that destroyed Clemson.

That's why BK might be more successful at a different college program and why we shouldnt limit ourselves to the tight consideration of what any HC prospects from other programs have managed....
"If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy." - Flemming Rose
Old 01-14-2020, 07:33 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
I cannot imagine why the media is "hyping" Coach O

In two years since getting beat by ND, Coach O has hired a coach away from the Saints to improve his offense and recruited the players he needed including a great talent at QB in order to go 15-0 and beat a bunch of ranked teams. Coach O leaves no doubt that he wants to motivate his team.

He won the NC and is someone "new" to talk about instead of Dabo and Saban.

Who else should the media be "hyping"?
Joe Brady.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:44 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Joe Brady.
Just so we are clear, you know he isnít even the OC or QB coach right? Now Iím not saying he didnít have a huge effect, come on man. Also, heís probably the most ďhypedĒ assistant coach Iíve ever seen these last couple months.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:59 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Just so we are clear, you know he isnít even the OC or QB coach right? Now Iím not saying he didnít have a huge effect, come on man. Also, heís probably the most ďhypedĒ assistant coach Iíve ever seen these last couple months.
Look at Burrowís #s this yr v last yr. The one new variable is Brady. Obviously, Burrow should get the bulk of credit for his own success, but Brady was pretty important to this yrís offense
Old 01-14-2020, 09:32 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Got the Powerball numbers for today? 5 of 6 will do.
If you mean Wednesday's drawing, 12-14-28-39-40...powerball is 8.
"If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy." - Flemming Rose