Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2019, 06:05 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Default Coaches?!

Any coaches out there? I was wondering about our last drive or 2 minute drill. While ND was on defense for the last drive, were our offensive coaches talking to Book and the offense about what they wanted for that drive? Do teams script 5 plays so the offense can be ready and thereís no confusion, snap count issues and time clock issues for the offense? I feel like thatís what I would do. And if you come to the line first play and they give you the wrong defense on the first play. You audible that play and go back on cue for the next 5 plays that you had already planned? Is that possible? Is there something Iím missing?

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 09-24-2019, 05:13 AM
Domer Domain All American

From what I've read they do talk about the plays to an extent.

You can't really to what you do in the weak of practice because your "openers" were usually scripted the way they were for a reason.

Often they'll talk about their 5 best plays of the day in terms of what gained the most consistently.

They also have factor in expected gain vs distance needed.

Say keeping it simple, you need, 60 yards and you have time for three plays.

The route you want to hit needs to be at least 20 yards downfield each time.

Now your 20 yard "go" or whatever might not fit in your top 5 plays, OR they might change the defense.

In my opinion its just to simple to say here's 5 plays we have cleaned up for down 6 2 minutes left for the above reasons.

Yes they work on 2 minute drill, no its never high percentage, teams score fast these days but thats about players more than plays in my opinion.

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 09-24-2019, 05:30 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

I guess I would think you would have a set of plays that you have worked on over the week, through out the year. And those 5-6 plays could be called your two minute drill, whatever. Like say, your goaline package where you have a set of 4-6 plays you like to run. Why not have a two minute drill designed just for this particular moment. I mean, really, how many times are you going to be in that situation they were in. They even had 5 good minutes to have some game plan for those last two minutes while the defense was trying to stop them. I guess I just feel that 2 minute drill looked very sloppy and unorganized..just my opinion.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:37 AM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
I guess I would think you would have a set of plays that you have worked on over the week, through out the year. And those 5-6 plays could be called your two minute drill, whatever. Like say, your goaline package where you have a set of 4-6 plays you like to run. Why not have a two minute drill designed just for this particular moment. I mean, really, how many times are you going to be in that situation they were in. They even had 5 good minutes to have some game plan for those last two minutes while the defense was trying to stop them. I guess I just feel that 2 minute drill looked very sloppy and unorganized..just my opinion.
It did. Using 2 2nd half timeouts is both on Kelly and Book. Need those 3 to really manage that situation correctly.

Yes they practice situations in fall camp, but until game pressure, its really rough.

Will Fuller would help too, or pick your favorite fast guy.

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 09-24-2019, 02:59 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
Any coaches out there? I was wondering about our last drive or 2 minute drill. While ND was on defense for the last drive, were our offensive coaches talking to Book and the offense about what they wanted for that drive? Do teams script 5 plays so the offense can be ready and thereís no confusion, snap count issues and time clock issues for the offense? I feel like thatís what I would do. And if you come to the line first play and they give you the wrong defense on the first play. You audible that play and go back on cue for the next 5 plays that you had already planned? Is that possible? Is there something Iím missing?
I'm no coach, and I'm sure they have a two minute drill, but on the last play Book should of stepped up into the pocket instead of running away from the pocket, which he does way too much. If I were Kelly, I would take the easier games in our schedule and tell Book he can't run out of the pocket, so he gets used to sliding inside it to find passing lanes.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:50 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithInIrishForever View Post
It did. Using 2 2nd half timeouts is both on Kelly and Book. Need those 3 to really manage that situation correctly.

Yes they practice situations in fall camp, but until game pressure, its really rough.

Will Fuller would help too, or pick your favorite fast guy.
Perfectly stated, Faith!