Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2019, 07:39 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Default What are we playing for now?

Didn't watch the game, but listened to it. Losing sucks, but in reality Notre Dame just can't quite get over the hump against some of the top programs in the nation. It is what it is.

To my point: I always have a hard time finding out what I'm supposed to measure up as a good season after a loss that will probably knock ND out of the playoff picture so early in the season. Fair or unfair, that's the reality. ND could technically get into the playoff, but it's sort of out of their control. A lot of variables have to fall in place for them.

Not being in a conference is kind of a drag. Even if you get knocked out of the playoffs you still can look forward to a conference championship. Not so for ND. Seems like playoffs or bust. In order to do that ND has to run the table. One loss and the season is kind of in limbo.

What do you all consider a good season after a loss like this? I don't mean the program is in a death spiral of "fire Kelly' or any of that. I just mean, what's the measuring stick now? I usually say beat USC and Navy, win the bowl game. That seems a little anticlimactic now. Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 09-22-2019, 07:42 PM
Domer Domain All American

playing for a New Years 6 Bowl in my opinion.

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 09-22-2019, 07:49 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckp160 View Post
Didn't watch the game, but listened to it. Losing sucks, but in reality Notre Dame just can't quite get over the hump against some of the top programs in the nation. It is what it is.

To my point: I always have a hard time finding out what I'm supposed to measure up as a good season after a loss that will probably knock ND out of the playoff picture so early in the season. Fair or unfair, that's the reality. ND could technically get into the playoff, but it's sort of out of their control. A lot of variables have to fall in place for them.

Not being in a conference is kind of a drag. Even if you get knocked out of the playoffs you still can look forward to a conference championship. Not so for ND. Seems like playoffs or bust. In order to do that ND has to run the table. One loss and the season is kind of in limbo.

What do you all consider a good season after a loss like this? I don't mean the program is in a death spiral of "fire Kelly' or any of that. I just mean, what's the measuring stick now? I usually say beat USC and Navy, win the bowl game. That seems a little anticlimactic now. Thoughts?
Beat Michigan, USC, and Stanford will always make me happy. If we run the table and win out, which I think is very attainable, we still have a chance to a playoff spot. If we don't get in the playoff, we can have a great New Years game with a team we certainly could beat. There is A GREAT DEAL still on the table to play for! And any bowl game that we get, regardless, allows us to have more practices for next years team, for our future. The more the young players can work in our system, the more seasoned they will be for next years roster and next year's games. So, keep winning, Irish!! The future is still there for you to grab!
Old 09-22-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithInIrishForever View Post
Yeah basically. Iím hoping this year we get a favourable matchup. LSU and OSU twice were all probably the toughest matchups we could have drawn all of those years. Thatís not counting Bama and Clemson.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:55 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

I agree, I think GA has a good chance to win out and we can only hope they win the sec. have to be a GA fan and the Irish have to win out. A big ten team, big 12, and Clemson will get in. We have to hope there are not two sec teams.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:08 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Whatís wrong with trying for 11-1 and a big bowl? That isnít exactly a lost season. Yes, I know ND is playing for titles. But they win one in about 12% of their seasons. Those other 88% arenít for nothing.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:12 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:

11 and 1 with a NY6 win is a hell of a season. 12 and 1 with finally that BIG bowl win would be nice
Old 09-22-2019, 09:18 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

What are we playing for? Is it just the championship?

Rudy: No it's for everyone who told me that being a Notre Dame football player would be impossible. My brothers, the guys I work with at the mill...they can't come to practice and see that I am a part of this team.
Coach Parseghian: [sighs] OK.
Rudy: OK?
Coach Parseghian: You deserve it. You will dress for one game next season.
Rudy: [can barely hold in his excitement] Thank you Coach!
Old 09-22-2019, 10:18 PM

Sure would be nice to win a new years 6 bowl for the first time since when 94?
Old 09-22-2019, 10:21 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Watching last night, it really sucked to realize that the type of electricity and intimidation coming from that stadium could never be matched in south bend. It was the definition of home field advantage.

I wasnt there for the Bush Push game, but thats the last time ive even heard a tale of our stadium being remotely hostile.
"If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy." - Flemming Rose
Old 09-22-2019, 10:23 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo88 View Post
Watching last night, it really sucked to realize that the type of electricity and intimidation coming from that stadium could never be matched in south bend. It was the definition of home field advantage.

I wasnt there for the Bush Push game, but thats the last time ive even heard a tale of our stadium being remotely hostile.
True..but they haven't had a top 10 out of conference opponent there since like 1964. Of course they'll be jazzed when its a once in a lifetime game for those folks. Maybe they should schedule more top 10 opponents outside their conference more.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:37 PM
Domer Domain Junior

I think weíre playing for a playoff berth. We go 11-1 we have a shot.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2Dokes View Post
I agree, I think GA has a good chance to win out and we can only hope they win the sec. have to be a GA fan and the Irish have to win out. A big ten team, big 12, and Clemson will get in. We have to hope there are not two sec teams.
Bama will destroy UGA...
Old 09-22-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithInIrishForever View Post
Agreed. Schedule is shaping up nicely to attain that.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:46 PM
Domer Domain Junior

I'd like to run the table, play Ohio State and beat them
Old 09-22-2019, 10:54 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo88 View Post

The way they could turn the lights on and off was pretty cool. So was the red out to start the 4th.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:56 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:

The way this college footbll season has gone so far,. I would not be surprised that a 1- loss ND team would still have a chance for the playoffs if they run the rabble.season. Uf there is such a thing as a "good loss", this is it. Of course, other teams would have to go by the wayside, but keep the faith
Old 09-22-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
Bama will destroy UGA...
So will LSU, especially if itís in Death Valley.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:01 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

So much to play for !!!

An early season loss to a top 3 team by 6 points and with a winning shot in the end...We proved we are a VERY GOOD TEAM!

We will be the highest ranked team with 1 loss for as long as we keep winning.

We will be firmly embedded in the top ten.

We simple have to keep winning,,,,get some of out playmakers back,,,,and we ABSOLUTELY WILL GET ANOTHER SHOT AT A VERY BIG GAME as this season moves on.

Disappointing yes....hanging my head and yelling everyone should be fired,,, NO

Just come out and win next week and everything will be looking pretty good for us.

aloha
Old 09-22-2019, 11:06 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
Whatís wrong with trying for 11-1 and a big bowl? That isnít exactly a lost season. Yes, I know ND is playing for titles. But they win one in about 12% of their seasons. Those other 88% arenít for nothing.
Agree. 11-1 and a NY6 bowl win. Iíll take it.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
So will LSU, especially if itís in Death Valley.
Love that those who predicated an nd loss now feel compelled to tell everyone that georgia is actually crap. LSU just let vandy score 40 on them but your right georgia wont even put up a fight
Old 09-23-2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goirish83 View Post
Love that those who predicated an nd loss now feel compelled to tell everyone that georgia is actually crap. LSU just let vandy score 40 on them but your right georgia wont even put up a fight
Where did I say Georgia was crap? When you show me then you can make such statements.

Iíve watched 3 LSU games and they might have the best passing attack in the nation. They have 3 receivers who would be number 1ís on 98% of teams. Iím simply making a prediction, something we all do here buddy....
Old 09-23-2019, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
Where did I say Georgia was crap? When you show me then you can make such statements.

Iíve watched 3 LSU games and they might have the best passing attack in the nation. They have 3 receivers who would be number 1ís on 98% of teams. Iím simply making a prediction, something we all do here buddy....
You said bama and LSU would destroy georgia. So maybe crap was the wrong word but that doesnt exactly speak glowingly of them right? Maybe I misunderstood you. I hope Georgia is good this year and wins out. I hope that because I'm an nd fan and want them to do well. I can admit I was wrong about last night and instead of saying georgia must not be very good it's ok to say I was wrong because nd is actually better then I thought.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:49 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

We #10 and itís ontl September 22 so I think we still have a shot at the playoffs if we run the table. Or at least playing for a New Year Day bowl.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:58 AM
Domer Domain Junior

#10 in September. We played Georgia in their place and knocked them all over the field.

We play them 10 times and we beat them maybe 6 out of 10 times. With our conditioning I am not afraid of any teams.