Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2019, 05:06 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Default Always the Bridesmaid

Lots of credit to the defense,,,credit to our young punter who gave us that first half edge...Kmet looked like an ND TE and the next one headed to the NFL..
I will even give some credit to the OLINEs pass protection,,,,Ian got time probably should have used that time to go downfield more often in the second half.... Coverage was damn good on defense ,,Fromm needed perfect passes and threw them often,,,,

2nd half aadjustments were EXCELLENT by Georgia and **** POOR by Kelly and co.....3rd quarter offense and defense were simply NOT READY.....it looked like the game would get away from us completely ,,,but good tough play in the 4th

Always the bridesmaid and never the bride is immensely disappointing,,,,

But in this case that was about all we had as a team,,,,Ian is pretty good but we just DO NOT have an offensive playmaker to make up for some mistakes,,,we make a mistake we tend to pay for it all game,,,

Wish we had at least tried to go downfield more after they tightened up on those shot passes...but playcalling has NEVER been our strength

Defense gets a solid B and should help us win lots of games

Quarterback get a B minus just cant make enough big throws to push us to a win....

Oline gets a C plus

Finke gets an F
Kmet gets an A

Defensive coaching staff gets a B plus if the offense had done more the defense likely would have been even better

Offensve coaches get a C minus poor second half adjustments and a little cowardly

Kicking game gets a B plus love our punter and 1 for 1 on the FG

Run game is an F we just have nothing going on there

If I am honest I didn't expect us to have a chance to win in the end that's good but losing another close one That's BAD

Doubtful this will be our only loss but we clearly have talent just a little short on offensive playmakers right now

aloha

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 09-22-2019, 12:45 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Michael Young, Jafar, and Jahmir Smith will all be back to help the playmaking deficiencies. Kmet is a monster of a TE, so with him back and getting some of these other guys back, this offense could be really good, hopefully by the Michigan game.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:52 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Agreed.

Imagine if we had a guy like Kevin Austin or Javon McKinley in there for Finke.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:05 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

In the light of the next morning, I feel differently than I did last night when the loss was an exposed nerve ending.

I didnt expect us to win, based on the first two games. Actually, I expected us to go down 14 in the first quarter, like we have in the post-season.

Last night we started strong and had a great game plan and we had focus. After half, no good adjustments. But then we didnt collapse.

Does it hurt? Sure. But Im glad that weve got a team that did way better than I expected.

Im currently thinking we run the table the rest of the season, if the coaches keep them on track.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:17 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDomer View Post
In the light of the next morning, I feel differently than I did last night when the loss was an exposed nerve ending.

I didn’t expect us to win, based on the first two games. Actually, I expected us to go down 14 in the first quarter, like we have in the post-season.

Last night we started strong and had a great game plan and we had focus. After half, no good adjustments. But then we didn’t collapse.

Does it hurt? Sure. But I’m glad that we’ve got a team that did way better than I expected.

I’m currently thinking we run the table the rest of the season, if the coaches keep them on track.
USC is better than expected.
But I’m sold.
Best game plan I’ve seen by this staff. Reminded me of (and I know I’ll be bashed for this) Belichek changing his game plan every week to create matchups in his team’s favor. You don’t have to do the same thing every week. Know your team’s strengths and weaknesses compared to the other team’s and design a plan around that. I haven’t seen ND do that so effectively in a long time.
Keep that up, catch the ball, quit making stupid penalties, and ND can win against almost anyone.
Almost anyone.

Last edited by Kelly Gruene; 09-22-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:19 PM
Domer Domain All American

We could always have Ty... Or, turn into UT...
Old 09-22-2019, 01:22 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

I here a lot of what if's... what if my aunt had a d!(k she'd be my uncle. There is no this part did good. DEFENSED GAVE UP TOO MANY POINTS AND OFFENSE DIDNT SCORE ENOUGH. SIMPLE. WE SHOIT OURSELVEVS IN THE FOOT AGAIN.
M.S.B.C
S.C.S.B.C
A.S.B.C
DEADSPIN.COM S.B.C

Last edited by Morgandonor; 09-22-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:22 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

This game was really frustrating because I expected us to lose big. But, when they came out and played physical on D and offensively we kept them off balance I started to believe we could win it. Then came halftime.....

So typical for us that BK makes no adjustments and the other coach does. Georgia started keying on the short routes, they knew we weren’t going to run the ball, and they completely dominated the 3rd qtr. 18 total yards. Completely turned the game around.

I thought the drive that really killed us was middle of the fourth when Book threw the 2nd INT. We were actually moving the ball there and had we been able to score it may have been a different story.

I thought our D played great especially in the first half. I don’t think we missed a tackle and we were flying to the ball. Then the O crapped the bed in the 3rd and left our D on the field the entire qtr and they got worn down a little. But they still hung tough and came up with a big stop at the end to give us a final chance.

Very frustrating seeing all of the penalties. This coupled with the **** show that was the 3rd qtr sealed our fate.

The kids played with heart and toughness and they gave themselves a chance to win. I wish our playcalling and adjustments after halftime would have been to a level that this team deserved and maybe things would have been different.

Last edited by Kid Gloves; 09-22-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:23 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
We could always have Ty... Or, turn into UT...
Exactly.
This is the best coaching staff theyve had since St. Lou.
Be careful what you wish for.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:13 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post

So typical for us that BK makes no adjustments and the other coach does. Georgia started keying on the short routes, they knew we weren’t going to run the ball, and they completely dominated the 3rd qtr. 18 total yards. Completely turned the game around.
I agree that Georgia, who might have thought Kelly held a deep passing game back in the two prior games, might have thought we had one and, realizing we don't, adjusted in the 2nd half. My feeling about their offense is that teams that stick with the a balanced offense and never give up on the run game eventually wear defenses down and 3 yard gains start becoming 9 yards. That's what happened and our D had to sneak up safeties and use man coverage on the outside. This set up GA's downfield passes, which could have been touchdowns, but which we defended really well and their receivers didn't make the plays like Clemson did last year. I'm sure GA's fan base is playing the "what if" game about their 2nd half drives that could have resulted in touchdowns, but resulted in field goals.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:34 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankus View Post
I agree that Georgia, who might have thought Kelly held a deep passing game back in the two prior games, might have thought we had one and, realizing we don't, adjusted in the 2nd half. My feeling about their offense is that teams that stick with the a balanced offense and never give up on the run game eventually wear defenses down and 3 yard gains start becoming 9 yards. That's what happened and our D had to sneak up safeties and use man coverage on the outside. This set up GA's downfield passes, which could have been touchdowns, but which we defended really well and their receivers didn't make the plays like Clemson did last year. I'm sure GA's fan base is playing the "what if" game about their 2nd half drives that could have resulted in touchdowns, but resulted in field goals.
I also wonder Frankus if ND could had gotten a few first downs in the third. Just two even what may have happen. Second half adjustments were going to happen. They are a good team. ND was just too slow adjusting to their adjustments. But with those two first downs, the defense gets another 10-15 mins a breather. Maybe our corners and d-line hold up a little better in the third...
Old 09-22-2019, 04:13 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

they are loaded with 5 stars athletes-lets not kid ourselves, most "don't do school" and we went to their place missing a bunch of guys...and put a huge scare into them...and had a chance to win.

We are not that far off...

If we play those thugs on neutral site, we win.

PS though, yes it hurts losing again. We took in recent year Clemson and Georgia right down to the wire at their place with a chance to win and didn't do it.

We will get over the hump one day...and until we do it hurts to lose...but still, am proud of of our guys...they are true student athletes, play their hearts out against these football first factories and definitely can/do compete and don't back down.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:38 PM

It's definitely mixed emotions. I am so sick of being close and not winning these games. Time and time again fsu Clemson georgia x2 we've come so close only to fall just short. Its horribly frustrating and I really do wonderif kelly is capable of winning these types of games.

But in saying that it's a helluva lot better then getting blown off the field or for those of us that were around post Holtz and pre kelly what we would give to be in these games as we were laboring through 6-6 seasons and happy with Hawaii bowl victories.

Nd is a legit top 10 team. That's big time progress and I do believe that last night showed we have the talent to hang with anyone. We just might need a coach capable of taking that next step

Last edited by goirish83; 09-22-2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:57 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goirish83 View Post
It's definitely mixed emotions. I am so sick of being close and not winning these games. Time and time again fsu Clemson georgia x2 we've come so close only to fall just short. Its horribly frustrating and I really do wonderif kelly is capable of winning these types of games.

But in saying that it's a helluva lot better then getting blown off the field or for those of us that were around post Holtz and pre kelly what we would give to be in these games as we were lumbering through 6-6 seasons and happy with Hawaii bowl victories.

Nd is a legit top 10 team. That's big time progress and I do believe that last night showed we have the talent to hang with anyone. We just might need a coach capable of taking that next step
The only positive I see in this is if it convinces Urban he can win a title here. Hed a legend as the only to win at 3 different schools, unfortunately I think only someone like him can do it.

One can dream right?
Old 09-22-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
The only positive I see in this is if it convinces Urban he can win a title here. Hed a legend as the only to win at 3 different schools, unfortunately I think only someone like him can do it.

One can dream right?
This program as a whole is in a much better place then it's been in a while so you would think that would help in bringing in a pretty big name coach. With a program as healthy as this is and as big a name as it still is we should have better options then weve had in previous coaching searches. I'm not advocating for kelly to go now but when he does it does give me hope for the future
Old 09-22-2019, 05:16 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiirish View Post
Lots of credit to the defense,,,credit to our young punter who gave us that first half edge...Kmet looked like an ND TE and the next one headed to the NFL..
I will even give some credit to the OLINEs pass protection,,,,Ian got time probably should have used that time to go downfield more often in the second half.... Coverage was damn good on defense ,,Fromm needed perfect passes and threw them often,,,,

2nd half aadjustments were EXCELLENT by Georgia and **** POOR by Kelly and co.....3rd quarter offense and defense were simply NOT READY.....it looked like the game would get away from us completely ,,,but good tough play in the 4th

Always the bridesmaid and never the bride is immensely disappointing,,,,

But in this case that was about all we had as a team,,,,Ian is pretty good but we just DO NOT have an offensive playmaker to make up for some mistakes,,,we make a mistake we tend to pay for it all game,,,

Wish we had at least tried to go downfield more after they tightened up on those shot passes...but playcalling has NEVER been our strength

Defense gets a solid B and should help us win lots of games

Quarterback get a B minus just cant make enough big throws to push us to a win....

Oline gets a C plus

Finke gets an F
Kmet gets an A

Defensive coaching staff gets a B plus if the offense had done more the defense likely would have been even better

Offensve coaches get a C minus poor second half adjustments and a little cowardly

Kicking game gets a B plus love our punter and 1 for 1 on the FG

Run game is an F we just have nothing going on there

If I am honest I didn't expect us to have a chance to win in the end that's good but losing another close one That's BAD

Doubtful this will be our only loss but we clearly have talent just a little short on offensive playmakers right now

aloha
Agree with it all, Hawaii. Just wish we would have put Lenzy in to throw a couple of deep balls after what he showed last week to keep Georgia secondary honest! Also Book tossing balls out of bounds during the comeback effort served no purpose. Throw the ball down the field and hope for PI call.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:23 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Its hard to get mad anymore. You know it's going to happen. You aren't sure how its going to happen or by how many points, but you know it's happening.