Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2019, 04:49 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Default So, if we have???

Michael Young, Kevin Austin, Jafar, and Jamir how do we play??? We are so close to being in the top tier of Teams itís sickening!!! Go Irish!!

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 09-22-2019, 04:56 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverirish34 View Post
Michael Young, Kevin Austin, Jafar, and Jamir how do we play??? We are so close to being in the top tier of Teams it’s sickening!!! Go Irish!!
Close.
Need to beat everybody else on the schedule.
Pick up one or two unexpected 4 or 5 star recruits.
ND won’t ever get the talent level Of Alabama, Georgia, or Clemson. This coaching staff is finally getting more out of the talent the have than coaches at ND have done in 25 years.

Last edited by Kelly Gruene; 09-22-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:48 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Michael Young, Kevin Austin, Jafar, and Jamir how do we play??? We are so close to being in the top tier of Teams itís sickening!!! Go Irish!!
Was thinking the exact same thing watching that game. The defense is good enough, just a little short on playmakers right now. At least 3 of those guys will be back.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:27 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Doesn't matter, we lost. Stop. Irrelevant question to seem like it would have been better. Nope not the case. We dont know cause they didnt play.
M.S.B.C
S.C.S.B.C
A.S.B.C
DEADSPIN.COM S.B.C
Old 09-22-2019, 02:23 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
It wouldn't matter. We don't ever force teams into man coverage and can't throw the deep ball. Contrast that to Georgia, who forced us into man coverage by sticking with the run game till it paid off in the 2nd half, and then had shots in the end zone with their receiver one on one with our cornerback's. So many people are playing the positive "what if" game on the board, but "what if" Georgia's receivers made those plays in the end zone like Clemson did last year and they scored three touchdowns instead of kicking field goals?
Old 09-22-2019, 02:31 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankus View Post
It wouldn't matter. We don't ever force teams into man coverage and can't throw the deep ball. Contrast that to Georgia, who forced us into man coverage by sticking with the run game till it paid off in the 2nd half, and then had shots in the end zone with their receiver one on one with our cornerback's. So many people are playing the positive "what if" game on the board, but "what if" Georgia's receivers made those plays in the end zone like Clemson did last year and they scored three touchdowns instead of kicking field goals?
What if Hillary had won?
What if Urbie had taken the ND job?
What if there actually are aliens at Area 51?

Honestly.

Gotta move on.
Big game at home on Saturday. A ranked team is coming to South Bend.
Gotta shift focus to that.
What if they don't?
Old 09-22-2019, 02:37 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Gruene View Post
What if Hillary had won?

Honestly.

Gotta move on.
What if they don't?
No we do not. None of us are on the team - we are fans and can speculate all we want.

It kills me when people say things like that.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:58 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgandonor View Post
Doesn't matter, we lost. Stop. Irrelevant question to seem like it would have been better. Nope not the case. We dont know cause they didnt play.
I wouldn't necessarily put it as an irrelevant question. Prime example is Cole Kmet. That offense was stale and couldn't move the ball that well the first two games. Insert Kmet and the offense looked completely different. Now imagine Kmet, Finke in the slot, Austin on the outside, and Claypool on the other. Teams would definetly be hurting trying to cover all those guys. Now Armstrong comes in for a breather for Jones. Which if anyone noticed yesterday, was our only back. No wonder he didn't get many carries. He also needed to be in to pass block. This team can be scary good "if" those guys come back and are inserted correctly. These is a video game offense with everybody here. So, it is a fair question to ask.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:01 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Got to give ND's db's some credit too. Two plays they were right where the ball was located and forced the incomplettion. Clemson, outleaped us last year. But fair point..
Old 09-22-2019, 03:02 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Came here for the meltdowns.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:10 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
What if Hillary had won?
I haven't been playing the "what if" game. I know who we are and nothing is going to change. I just pointed out that everybody is playing the positive "what if" game, but GA can play that game too.

I expect us to beat VA. Kelly rarely loses to teams with less talent.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:13 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
Got to give ND's db's some credit too. Two plays they were right where the ball was located and forced the incomplettion. Clemson, outleaped us last year. But fair point..
No doubt. Coverage was great. I thought Vaughn's was last year against Clemson as well. My point is that they built their offense to set up those kinds of passes, which are very hard to defend.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:18 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
No doubt. Coverage was great. I thought Vaughn's was last year against Clemson as well. My point is that they built their offense to set up those kinds of passes, which are very hard to defend.
I see. ND did deploy the same back shoulder throws to Claypool towards the end of the game. It was just too late. I can see where you want to argue about play-designing for that. I was also frustrated that they didn't open it enough until it was too late.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:23 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
I wouldn't necessarily put it as an irrelevant question. Prime example is Cole Kmet. That offense was stale and couldn't move the ball that well the first two games. Insert Kmet and the offense looked completely different. Now imagine Kmet, Finke in the slot, Austin on the outside, and Claypool on the other. Teams would definetly be hurting trying to cover all those guys. Now Armstrong comes in for a breather for Jones. Which if anyone noticed yesterday, was our only back. No wonder he didn't get many carries. He also needed to be in to pass block. This team can be scary good "if" those guys come back and are inserted correctly. These is a video game offense with everybody here. So, it is a fair question to ask.
Get Michael Young back as a deep threat, get Jafar catching balls out of the backfield, and jahmir smith running and the offense will explode. I think we can average over 40 ppg this year if we get healthier.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:37 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
I see. ND did deploy the same back shoulder throws to Claypool towards the end of the game. It was just too late. I can see where you want to argue about play-designing for that. I was also frustrated that they didn't open it enough until it was too late.
GA's TD pass attempts weren't back shoulder throws. They are go routes into the end zone that depend on timing. The passes were there, the defense was very good. We won this time, but didn't against Clemson. I believe it was Shaun Crawford defending them, but could be wrong. Pretty amazing that he's playing at his the high level he is considering all his injuries. Kudos to him.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:39 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
GA's TD pass attempts weren't back shoulder throws. They are go routes into the end zone that depend on timing. The passes were there, the defense was very good. We won this time, but didn't against Clemson. I believe it was Shaun Crawford defending them, but could be wrong. Pretty amazing that he's playing at his the high level he is considering all his injuries. Kudos to him.
yeah, he's a gamer. if only we had him for a full season with Love last year...
Old 09-22-2019, 04:24 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

All of the "what if" this guy was playing doesn't matter.

Their QB delivered the ball to where it needed to be consistently all game. Sometimes they made the play, sometimes they didn't. Those were their 4th and 5th WR in many cases.

Book can't consistently deliver the ball to the entire field, so ND can't run the same offense. He leaves the pocket too early, doesn't have the arm to throw the out from the opposite hash and doesn't trust himself to throw downfield unless the target is wide open.

Until that changes, ND can put Rice, Moss and Bo Jackson out there and it won't matter.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:29 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Hey Foreveirish,

I agree it could have been very different. Donít let people get to you.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:36 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDomer View Post
Hey Foreveirish,

I agree it could have been very different. Donít let people get to you.
well said.

We were really shorthanded and had a chance to win in Georgia against all those 5 star "students"....

Proud as hell of the guys.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:13 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post

Their QB delivered the ball to where it needed to be consistently all game. Sometimes they made the play, sometimes they didn't. Those were their 4th and 5th WR in many cases.

Book can't consistently deliver the ball to the entire field, so ND can't run the same offense. He leaves the pocket too early, doesn't have the arm to throw the out from the opposite hash and doesn't trust himself to throw downfield unless the target is wide open.

Until that changes, ND can put Rice, Moss and Bo Jackson out there and it won't matter.
I agree half way with your post. But I thought you being a stats guy would give some credit if some guys were out there. IF Austin and Armstrong were out there, the safety is going to have to either double Claypool or Kmet, or zero in on Armstrong either running or for wheel routes. Sets up a lot of one on one situations that I think would had favored us against their banged up secondary. Rice and Moss being out there is a no-brainer. Even with Book..
Old 09-22-2019, 09:23 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
I agree half way with your post. But I thought you being a stats guy would give some credit if some guys were out there. IF Austin and Armstrong were out there, the safety is going to have to either double Claypool or Kmet, or zero in on Armstrong either running or for wheel routes. Sets up a lot of one on one situations that I think would had favored us against their banged up secondary. Rice and Moss being out there is a no-brainer. Even with Book..
I agree with your premise, Iím just not sure any of the guys ND was missing are sure thing game breakers. They are all good with a lot of promise, but until they prove their big time players, Iím not willing to say ND wins if they were playing or that Georgia would have had to play differently.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:23 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
What if Hillary had won?

Honestly.

Gotta move on.
What if they don't?
There arent. Ive been there many times. Lol
"If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy." - Flemming Rose
Old 09-22-2019, 10:42 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Was he referring to undocumented immigrants?
Old 09-24-2019, 12:38 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
I agree half way with your post. But I thought you being a stats guy would give some credit if some guys were out there. IF Austin and Armstrong were out there, the safety is going to have to either double Claypool or Kmet, or zero in on Armstrong either running or for wheel routes. Sets up a lot of one on one situations that I think would had favored us against their banged up secondary.
Book doesn't have the arm. On the pass that their receiver dropped in the end zone in the 3rd quarter, Fromm was running for his life on the 30 yard line horizontal to he line of scrimmage and threw a 40 yard arrow to the back of the end zone. Book can't make that throw.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:08 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post

It’s unfair to compare Book to Fromm, one was a five star who convinced two other highly coveted five stars to transfer. Anyone questioning their ability should watch a Washington or Ohio State game.

Book is the 3 star who we all thought was a more athletic Rees with slightly better arm talent. It turns out he is who we thought he was. He’s a game manager who’s job is to not mess it up because we’ve had elite defences the last two years.

The concern is we actually had a running game last year, I can guarantee putting it all on Books shoulders to win a game will cost us atleast one more time.