Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2019, 04:12 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Default So frustrating

What a game, and another loss on the big stage unfortunately. Besides penalties I can't complain much about the gameplan in the first half. The offense played unpredictably and moved the ball, but those drive crushing penalties really took a toll. Nothing like getting into short yardage to get flagged and moved back.

Our special teams shined tonight, besides two penalties the refs pulled out of the obscure part of the rule book in the second half. Both kickers did their job admirably!

I can't say enough about this defense and their fight, they left it all out there on the field. Great play calling against a really good offense, and we didn't get picked apart in the run game like many predicted. They swarmed to the ball and were aggressive all night despite the O selling them out the second half.

The second half on offense, especially 3Q, ugh so maddeningly predictably Kelly. No attempts to stretch the field at all, when clearly UGA adjusted to our underneath stuff and were jumping every short route. That quarter was inexcusable in the play calling. They adjusted we didn't.

I saw a stat we had 14 penalties and 12 rushes, and guess which had more yards. That's really bad even without the obscure ones. Kelly said going into half that they didn't prepare well for silent snaps etc due to noise. F'ing really?! The biggest game in forever allegedly, Gameday, hostile SEC environment, and dint prepare properly for the noise...

So frustrated. The boys played hard, they deserve better. Tired of moral, close loss type victories in year 10 against top teams. When will it be our turn Lord?

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 09-22-2019, 06:55 AM
Domer Domain Junior

One more thing, and its been frustrating me. Finke. Reading lots of boards really putting him down for two of our TO's. He was put back into his natural slot position today which was good. People forgot he made a awesome catch first half over the back of a defender while on his own back.

The first TO was throw behind him and he had to reach back while running to try and grab it, then was drilled, popping the ball up to the defender. The INT in the 4Q wasn't his fault either, Book tried to do to much with that play and shoulda tossed it OOB. Finke was trying his best to get open and help his QB. It was first down, we didn't have to chance that throw given the situation there. Toss it and come back 2nd and ten. He made another clutch catch on our last scoring drive right before the TD I believe. He's been a warrior out there every time I see him. Nothing against the kid.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:24 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

I agree for the most part re: Finke, but from my view that pass hit him right in the chest - gotta make that catch in this type of game....
Old 09-22-2019, 01:03 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Kid's a winner. Just really had that one bad play that hurt us. It was slightly behind him.
That play was more a function of UGA was zeroed in on our 5 yard passes and there was a defender right there.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:17 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

When do we come out on the other end of these games.
When do we stop making so many mistakes
When do we stop be satisfied with will it was a good game.
We will never be relevant again to the sec we just can't beat them.
We will lose 3 more games because of this. KELLEY NEEDS TO GO.
M.S.B.C
S.C.S.B.C
A.S.B.C
DEADSPIN.COM S.B.C
Old 09-22-2019, 01:25 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgandonor View Post
Thatís insane. ND is playing big boy football. Kelly is responsible for this. I think itís fair to criticize the lack of adjustment once uga started playing the short stuff, BUT there were clearly protection issues when ND started chucking it deep on the last three drives. The did need a plan B though when the adjustment came...
Old 09-22-2019, 01:26 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Who do you think is a REALISTIC alternative? Just how many coaches on the National stage can beat an SEC top team? Sure it would be great to win one of these and don't argue Coaching plays a part but when South Bend offers little to what these programs can offer players, we have the deck stacked against recruiting the same type of skill players these teams have.
We were one drive from tying the game against the largest crowd to see a game played in the State of Georgia, EVER. It played a distinct advantage with the false starts, communication, burning of time outs...but we never wavered and fought like hell, in position to win the game. Not sure of how much more you can ask of the Staff and players. 11-1 finish and an NY 6 Bowl! GO IRISH!
Old 09-22-2019, 01:26 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
You’re really going to be sad when they put up a Kelly statue outside the stadium and name part of some athletic building after him.

Last edited by Kelly Gruene; 09-22-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:39 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Gruene View Post
Youíre really going to be sad when the put up a Kelly statue outside the stadium and name part of some athletic building after him.
My favorite part of message boards is when people blast a coach and canít even spell their name correctly.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:44 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
This team isnít losing three more games. Maybe none.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:51 PM
Domer Domain Junior

We should pin some of this loss on Autry Denson. Cupboard is bare at the RB position until you get to Kyren Williams and eventually Tyree who are several years away.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:27 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Fence View Post
We should pin some of this loss on Autry Denson. Cupboard is bare at the RB position until you get to Kyren Williams and eventually Tyree who are several years away.
Lol.. yep, Autry is to blame.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:30 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Fence View Post
It doesnít help that your best two backs were out with injuries.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:36 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake View Post
Lol.. yep, Autry is to blame.
haha, I guess there is some truth to it. I like the guys vision of running with Autry, but he was a terrible recruiter at this position. oh well..onward.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:56 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
haha, I guess there is some truth to it. I like the guys vision of running with Autry, but he was a terrible recruiter at this position. oh well..onward.
I have no issues with our RB's.. Jafar being out hurts on many levels.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:28 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Gruene View Post
Youíre really going to be sad when they put up a Kelly statue outside the stadium and name part of some athletic building after him.
I've actually been thinking lately...people bitch about Kelly now, but we will look back on these like the "good ol days"...the days when we were getting 10+ wins, making it to the playoffs or big bowl (Peach is considered I think right under the major bowls), and for the most part, destroying teams we should be destroying

We'll miss Kelly when he retires or the fan base drives him out
Old 09-24-2019, 12:42 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post
I've actually been thinking lately...people bitch about Kelly now, but we will look back on these like the "good ol days"...the days when we were getting 10+ wins, making it to the playoffs or big bowl (Peach is considered I think right under the major bowls), and for the most part, destroying teams we should be destroying

We'll miss Kelly when he retires or the fan base drives him out
I disagree. Notre Dame has spent a fortune to build arguably the best football facilities in all of college football and is going to want a return on its investment. We are going to have a lot of options when Kelly retires.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:04 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLeastMySisWasIrish View Post
Who do you think is a REALISTIC alternative? Just how many coaches on the National stage can beat an SEC top team? Sure it would be great to win one of these and don't argue Coaching plays a part but when South Bend offers little to what these programs can offer players, we have the deck stacked against recruiting the same type of skill players these teams have.
We were one drive from tying the game against the largest crowd to see a game played in the State of Georgia, EVER. It played a distinct advantage with the false starts, communication, burning of time outs...but we never wavered and fought like hell, in position to win the game. Not sure of how much more you can ask of the Staff and players. 11-1 finish and an NY 6 Bowl! GO IRISH!
If only ND had an indoor facility with a sound system that could simulate crowd noise so that they practice dealing with such a distraction. Perhaps maybe they would only have 2 or 3 false starts.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:52 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoore97 View Post
One more thing, and its been frustrating me. Finke. Reading lots of boards really putting him down for two of our TO's. He was put back into his natural slot position today which was good. People forgot he made a awesome catch first half over the back of a defender while on his own back.

The first TO was throw behind him and he had to reach back while running to try and grab it, then was drilled, popping the ball up to the defender. The INT in the 4Q wasn't his fault either, Book tried to do to much with that play and shoulda tossed it OOB. Finke was trying his best to get open and help his QB. It was first down, we didn't have to chance that throw given the situation there. Toss it and come back 2nd and ten. He made another clutch catch on our last scoring drive right before the TD I believe. He's been a warrior out there every time I see him. Nothing against the kid.
Yes, he has been a warrior. On the first interception, Book made a lousy throw behind him and he was just trying to make a play. He has made himself into a captain after walking on! Enough said!
Old 09-26-2019, 04:55 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Irish View Post
Yes, he has been a warrior. On the first interception, Book made a lousy throw behind him and he was just trying to make a play. He has made himself into a captain after walking on! Enough said!
Our captains were the ones that made the lions share of the mistakes at Georgia. Hainsey/Eich had false starts and missed blocks that could have led to big gains. Finke dropped passes and even Gilman was rocked by Swift on a blitz. The unit expected to be a weakness (lb) was a strength.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:08 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
If only ND had an indoor facility with a sound system that could simulate crowd noise so that they practice dealing with such a distraction. Perhaps maybe they would only have 2 or 3 false starts.
I kinda donít buy the loud noise talk. I think BK is covering for guys that made the mistakes. I could be wrong. Just a gut feeling.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:32 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post
Our captains were the ones that made the lions share of the mistakes at Georgia. Hainsey/Eich had false starts and missed blocks that could have led to big gains. Finke dropped passes and even Gilman was rocked by Swift on a blitz. The unit expected to be a weakness (lb) was a strength.
Exactly, and they all looked really good.

Drew White went from a question mark to maybe the rock of our defence. Also Bilal might have been rusty in game one, he’s looked great since.

Also don’t get me started on Eichenberg, I’ve had it with his big mouth and attitude.