Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2019, 01:19 AM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgandonor View Post
We clearly are gonna come out scared, make mistakes, turn the ball over like we always do during big games...We lose handedly. we don't have enough up the middle to stop them nor do we have the line backers. Offense will struggle, Book will have happy feet, leave the pocket too soon. The writing is on the wall. We just need to figure out how to build on this and move on.
It's sad that as much progress as we've seemingly made under kelly here we are in a spot where I'll consider it a victory if we stay within 3 TDs. I dont believe kelly is capable of ever reaching that elite group of Clemson bama osu georgia and maybe Oklahoma is on the fringe. Now maybe nd isnt capable of ever being in that group in this day and age of college football but maybe we are. I'm quite certain they wont get there under Kelly.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 09-21-2019, 02:32 AM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
We clearly are gonna come out scared, make mistakes, turn the ball over like we always do during big games...We lose handedly. we don't have enough up the middle to stop them nor do we have the line backers. Offense will struggle, Book will have happy feet, leave the pocket too soon. The writing is on the wall. We just need to figure out how to build on this and move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goirish83 View Post
It's sad that as much progress as we've seemingly made under kelly here we are in a spot where I'll consider it a victory if we stay within 3 TDs. I dont believe kelly is capable of ever reaching that elite group of Clemson bama osu georgia and maybe Oklahoma is on the fringe. Now maybe nd isnt capable of ever being in that group in this day and age of college football but maybe we are. I'm quite certain they wont get there under Kelly.
So I'm not going to go through and pick out everybody that is all doom and gloom in this and other threads, but these were 2 of the more recent ones so I'm quoting them. I don't know if ND is going to win tomorrow, and honestly Georgia by 10-14 is probably the right pick, but this idea that ND stinks and winning is impossible is laughable, and not backed up by any stats from this year is laughable. Who cares who ND beat or didn't beat in 2005? ESPN FPI gives Georgia a ~67% chance of winning and that sounds about right. ND winning on the road against a top-5 team would be an upset, but Georgia would be favored by multiple scores at home against everyone in the nation outside of Clemson and Bama. That fact that everyone here and on other boards is talking like Georgia only being 14 point favorites is Vegas just giving away money is ridiculous.

I'm not calling out anyone in particular and just using the quotes here as examples, but if you're saying stuff like this, what's the point? If ND is going to be lucky to stay within 21 why watch? Why even play the game? What's the point?

Again, I believe the ESPN FPI has it about right. 7/10 times maybe even 8/10 Georgia wins this game. ND just needs one. Lots of **** went against them against Georgia the last time, against Clemson as well and we all remember the end of FSU. If one of those games goes slightly different does something change? I don't know, but I just hate this idea that ND doesn't even deserve to be on the same field as these other teams.

(sorry for rambling lol see you guys in the gamechat tomorrow where I'll be lamenting the lack of Jerry Tillery and Tevon Coney on this years defense)
Old 09-21-2019, 04:46 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardo View Post
So I'm not going to go through and pick out everybody that is all doom and gloom in this and other threads, but these were 2 of the more recent ones so I'm quoting them. I don't know if ND is going to win tomorrow, and honestly Georgia by 10-14 is probably the right pick, but this idea that ND stinks and winning is impossible is laughable, and not backed up by any stats from this year is laughable. Who cares who ND beat or didn't beat in 2005? ESPN FPI gives Georgia a ~67% chance of winning and that sounds about right. ND winning on the road against a top-5 team would be an upset, but Georgia would be favored by multiple scores at home against everyone in the nation outside of Clemson and Bama. That fact that everyone here and on other boards is talking like Georgia only being 14 point favorites is Vegas just giving away money is ridiculous.

I'm not calling out anyone in particular and just using the quotes here as examples, but if you're saying stuff like this, what's the point? If ND is going to be lucky to stay within 21 why watch? Why even play the game? What's the point?

Again, I believe the ESPN FPI has it about right. 7/10 times maybe even 8/10 Georgia wins this game. ND just needs one. Lots of **** went against them against Georgia the last time, against Clemson as well and we all remember the end of FSU. If one of those games goes slightly different does something change? I don't know, but I just hate this idea that ND doesn't even deserve to be on the same field as these other teams.

(sorry for rambling lol see you guys in the gamechat tomorrow where I'll be lamenting the lack of Jerry Tillery and Tevon Coney on this years defense)
not saying we stink but we have come out shook during these big games....Name a time we came out an struck first on Alabama, clemson, Georgia. The Georgia game we started extremely slow. lost 20-19 but we had way better line backers and middle d line. we just don't match up well...I don't want them to lose but sometimes you have to call a spade a spade but this is that time. We can win but we have to be perfect. Name the last time in the modern era we have been perfect. On paper they destroy us. Their Heart well I cant answer that yet.
M.S.B.C
S.C.S.B.C
A.S.B.C
DEADSPIN.COM S.B.C
Old 09-21-2019, 12:23 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
not saying we stink but we have come out shook during these big games....Name a time we came out an struck first on Alabama, clemson, Georgia. The Georgia game we started extremely slow. lost 20-19 but we had way better line backers and middle d line. we just don't match up well...I don't want them to lose but sometimes you have to call a spade a spade but this is that time. We can win but we have to be perfect. Name the last time in the modern era we have been perfect. On paper they destroy us. Their Heart well I cant answer that yet.
The Clemson playoff game was 3-3 at the end of the first quarter so if ND started slowly so did Clemson. ND scored first against #2 ranked Florida State in 2014. Notre Dame was up 3-0 and 10-3 against Georgia in 2017, so again, if ND started slowly so did Georgia. We know how the Alabama went, and the Clemson game in 2015 ND did start slowly, going down 14 early. It seems to me that ND started fine in half of these games.

I'd say they were as close to perfect as possible at Oklahoma in 2012, very close to perfect against USC in 2005 and FSU in 2014.

This Georgia team isn't as good as 2012 Alabama, or last years Clemson. I think ND needed to be perfect to beat those teams. I do not think they need to be perfect to beat this Georgia team, they do need some things to go their way though.

I know no one wants to lose, but this idea that it's a foregone conclusion is annoying and defeatist, in my opinion.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:28 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

I'd like to put the D on the field first. I think it would be demoralizing to start off with a 3 and out. Let Book watch the game for a couple of minutes. Hopefully the D can get a stop and get us the ball with decent field position.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:18 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:

I spent the past week in Atlanta on business and it's funny to me to hear more respect for ND coming from the Georgia fans than the posters on this Board. They have a winner's confidence going in but respect ND and the way it's being approached, biggest game outside of playing Bama. But sadly it's a defeatist annoyance that most ND supporters have and why not surprising to read such negative or doomsday posts. I generally ignore them but after experiencing the other team's perspective this week, felt a comment was warranted.
Kelly could win a title and still not satisfy the majority as they likely would say it was luck, down year for Clemson or Bama, can't duplicate it...whatever. Frankly Georgia has more speed and depth and a direct result of SEC and locale for talent within a 2 hours drive. But it shouldn't take away from what the staff and most of all, the players have sought to accomplish in South Bend and why ALL are deserving of fan's support. While I predict a 14 point win for Georgia, I'll be behind the team and wouldn't shock me if they pull out an OT Win...Bama and Texas both showed they aren't invincible and while we may not be a Bama, we are better than Texas so what the hell, why can't we be given a hope and a prayer! GO IRISH!
Old 09-21-2019, 01:37 PM

This team was built to play SEC teams. Our line is huge. Our backs are fast and tough and our cheerleaders are still ugly. Irish by 3!
Old 09-21-2019, 03:02 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLeastMySisWasIrish View Post
I spent the past week in Atlanta on business and it's funny to me to hear more respect for ND coming from the Georgia fans than the posters on this Board. They have a winner's confidence going in but respect ND and the way it's being approached, biggest game outside of playing Bama. But sadly it's a defeatist annoyance that most ND supporters have and why not surprising to read such negative or doomsday posts. I generally ignore them but after experiencing the other team's perspective this week, felt a comment was warranted.
Kelly could win a title and still not satisfy the majority as they likely would say it was luck, down year for Clemson or Bama, can't duplicate it...whatever. Frankly Georgia has more speed and depth and a direct result of SEC and locale for talent within a 2 hours drive. But it shouldn't take away from what the staff and most of all, the players have sought to accomplish in South Bend and why ALL are deserving of fan's support. While I predict a 14 point win for Georgia, I'll be behind the team and wouldn't shock me if they pull out an OT Win...Bama and Texas both showed they aren't invincible and while we may not be a Bama, we are better than Texas so what the hell, why can't we be given a hope and a prayer! GO IRISH!
Pot calling the kettle black?

Glad you are so optimistic that you "predict a 14 point win for Georgia" over a #7 ranked Irish team yet get on other ND fans for negative posts.

Aren't you basically saying "I think the Irish team will lose by two touchdowns since they are not as fast nor have as many good players as Georgia"? Isn't this the same type of negative comment for which you are calling others out for making?
Old 09-21-2019, 03:50 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Default Reason for "Negativity"

Good summary of why ND (& Brian kelly) seems to be lacking respect from both its fans as well the rest of the country

https://apnews.com/3ff7461edbc14251a1e1c9bb585e3708

Some excerpts:

Well, what they have to do is win a big game.

Since the departure of Lou Holtz, who guided Notre Dame to its last national championship way back in 1988, the Irish are just 36-51 against ranked opponents and a putrid 8-28 when facing top 10 teams.

Taking this era of big-game futility to an even deeper level, Notre Dame has beaten exactly two teams over the last 22 seasons — Stanford in 2012, Michigan in 2002 — that went on to finish in The Associated Press top 10.

Most telling of all is the way the Irish have lost:

— With a national title on the line at the end of the 2012 season, top-ranked and unbeaten Notre Dame was blown out by Alabama 42-14.

— Facing Ohio State in the 2016 Fiesta Bowl, the result was a 44-28 drubbing.

— Ranked third late in the 2017 season and eyeing a possible College Football Playoff berth, the Irish were routed at Miami 41-8.

— After earning their first playoff appearance a year ago with an undefeated regular season, they were carved up 30-3 by eventual national champion Clemson in the Cotton Bowl semifinal game.

The average margin in those 28 setbacks to top 10 opponents is a whopping 35-15. Fourteen times, Notre Dame has lost by at least 20 points. Nine times, the margin was at least 30 points.

No wonder Georgia is a hefty two-touchdown favorite between the hedges.

Last edited by jbrown_9999; 09-21-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:56 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrush View Post
I'd like to put the D on the field first. I think it would be demoralizing to start off with a 3 and out. Let Book watch the game for a couple of minutes. Hopefully the D can get a stop and get us the ball with decent field position.
I don't think i've EVER seen Kelly defer a toss.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:51 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
Good summary of why ND (& Brian kelly) seems to be lacking respect from both its fans as well the rest of the country

https://apnews.com/3ff7461edbc14251a1e1c9bb585e3708

Some excerpts:

Well, what they have to do is win a big game.

Since the departure of Lou Holtz, who guided Notre Dame to its last national championship way back in 1988, the Irish are just 36-51 against ranked opponents and a putrid 8-28 when facing top 10 teams.

Taking this era of big-game futility to an even deeper level, Notre Dame has beaten exactly two teams over the last 22 seasons ó Stanford in 2012, Michigan in 2002 ó that went on to finish in The Associated Press top 10.

Most telling of all is the way the Irish have lost:

ó With a national title on the line at the end of the 2012 season, top-ranked and unbeaten Notre Dame was blown out by Alabama 42-14.

ó Facing Ohio State in the 2016 Fiesta Bowl, the result was a 44-28 drubbing.

ó Ranked third late in the 2017 season and eyeing a possible College Football Playoff berth, the Irish were routed at Miami 41-8.

ó After earning their first playoff appearance a year ago with an undefeated regular season, they were carved up 30-3 by eventual national champion Clemson in the Cotton Bowl semifinal game.

The average margin in those 28 setbacks to top 10 opponents is a whopping 35-15. Fourteen times, Notre Dame has lost by at least 20 points. Nine times, the margin was at least 30 points.

No wonder Georgia is a hefty two-touchdown favorite between the hedges.
So it didnít count when they beat Michigan St who went on to finish #3 at 13Ė1? I hate when people write articles to bash teams and canít get basic facts right.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:

Noone is saying nd stinks. Hell they may win every other game on their schedule. But this is a different animal and I think you know that.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
So it didnít count when they beat Michigan St who went on to finish #3 at 13Ė1? I hate when people write articles to bash teams and canít get basic facts right.
Kelly has had some very quality wins including that msu game, the michigan game last year Oklahoma in 12 among others. Hes also had some really close losses against some great teams like fsu Clemson georgia so I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm just saying it's highly highly unlikely
Old 09-21-2019, 08:20 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Kelly has had some very quality wins including that msu game, the michigan game last year Oklahoma in 12 among others. Hes also had some really close losses against some great teams like fsu Clemson georgia so I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm just saying it's highly highly unlikely
The game day crew threw out a stat that we are 1-16 in our last games vs top 5 opponents. If this is true, I hope that people can see that there is logic to some of us who doubt we will win tonight.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:22 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Noone is saying nd stinks. Hell they may win every other game on their schedule. But this is a different animal and I think you know that.
Why is it a different animal? ND stood toe to toe with Georgia 2 years ago, and would have won had the Georgia WR not made a circus catch. It just seems to me that the ND fanbase is building Georgia up as this unbeatable behemoth, on par with Clemson and Alabama when Kirby has gone 8-5, 13-2 and 11-3. They got SPANKED on national TV last year against a good but not great LSU team.

I"m not saying ND will win. They probably won't. But I agree with ESPN's FPI that ND wins 3/10 games against this georgia team. You saying that we should consider it a win to keep it within 21 is just flat out wrong.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Why is it a different animal? ND stood toe to toe with Georgia 2 years ago, and would have won had the Georgia WR not made a circus catch. It just seems to me that the ND fanbase is building Georgia up as this unbeatable behemoth, on par with Clemson and Alabama when Kirby has gone 8-5, 13-2 and 11-3. They got SPANKED on national TV last year against a good but not great LSU team.

I"m not saying ND will win. They probably won't. But I agree with ESPN's FPI that ND wins 3/10 games against this georgia team. You saying that we should consider it a win to keep it within 21 is just flat out wrong.
We can agree to disagree. This is at Georgia against a georgia team that is better then the 17 georgia team imo and a notre dame team that isnt as good as the 17 nd team. As you have said nd will likely lose by 10-14 and if that proves to be true I'd say they represented well. I dont think we're that far off one another the difference is you think theyll lose by 10-14 and I think it will be more then that. I hope I'm wrong
Old 09-22-2019, 03:52 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Let's see we found out we still suck. Will never be elite. Irish fans will be happy with the ole college try. Hey we are smart...though.. so smart we haven't been relevant since 1988. We better change our ways.
M.S.B.C
S.C.S.B.C
A.S.B.C
DEADSPIN.COM S.B.C
Old 09-22-2019, 04:00 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Let's see we found out we still suck. Will never be elite. Irish fans will be happy with the ole college try. Hey we are smart...though.. so smart we haven't been relevant since 1988. We better change our ways.
Did you watch the game? If anything, this makes me more excited about NDs chances to win a title in the future. Took a top 3 team to the wire with the ball to win, without a good QB. Give ND a top QB and who knows.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:08 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

I WAS RIGHT...scared penalty crazy...Notre dame is tiresome..same ole song and dance. We can't get good.players to stay, because they hate Kelly. Hey ND it was a good ole college try. Too bad that sjit don't work.
M.S.B.C
S.C.S.B.C
A.S.B.C
DEADSPIN.COM S.B.C
Old 09-22-2019, 04:11 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
I WAS RIGHT...scared penalty crazy...Notre dame is tiresome..same ole song and dance. We can't get good.players to stay, because they hate Kelly. Hey ND it was a good ole college try. Too bad that sjit don't work.
Go back to your shack in the Everglades. Biggest jackass on this board.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:12 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Did you watch the game? If anything, this makes me more excited about NDs chances to win a title in the future. Took a top 3 team to the wire with the ball to win, without a good QB. Give ND a top QB and who knows.
I agree I'm a lot more excited about where we're at then I thought coming into the night. Georgia is supposed to be a national title contending clear cut top 5 team we took to the end on their turf. That tell me that were closer then I thought
Old 09-22-2019, 04:31 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

We dont win games like this cause god dont like ugly.
Catholic church is being scrutinized to the fullest for their pedophilia.
M.S.B.C
S.C.S.B.C
A.S.B.C
DEADSPIN.COM S.B.C
Old 09-22-2019, 04:39 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Send a message via AIM to toddrhodes Send a message via Yahoo to toddrhodes

Quote:
I'm not even religious but what in the everloving hell are you on about?

/insert witty comment or quote <here>
Old 09-22-2019, 04:40 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
You lost me on this one.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:44 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
We could do with an another food receiver and RB. Like the guys coming in next year.

But Book is a back up really at this level. Decent but will struggle when the pressure really comes on.