Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2019, 04:38 PM
Domer Domain All American

Default Random Q - Who Is Our Bag Man?

Does anyone have any clue about the inner workings of our recruiting...? The dirty stuff? At some universities, high school coaches know EXACTLY who the bag man is... They can also tell you which recruits and families have their hands out for money. Which then leads me to ask...what's our situation? Because I never see ND mentioned when these conversations arise.

In fact, when Operation Varsity Blues went down, it was said that these students could buy their way into practically any school, except ND. So, I imagine we tend to be on the better side of things, but at the same time, I also imagine we still have our tricks, we're just better at hiding them.

Anyone have any clue whether we're 100% clean or whether we're competing within the more seedy spheres of the sport? I imagine that if we are competing in this regard, we have a competitive advantage based on our network being so unique as a university, generally. Our network is amorphous. In other words, you can pin down a single person at many schools, but at ND, it would seem that we'd spread our dealings across an entire network if we were acting like Bama. On the other hand, I can still see us being completely clean, too, except for the Kim chick that was taking players to Vegas... I just don't know, but have always been curious. I don't want to be blind and claim we're Boy Scouts if we aren't.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 12-05-2019, 05:05 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
Does anyone have any clue about the inner workings of our recruiting...? The dirty stuff? At some universities, high school coaches know EXACTLY who the bag man is... They can also tell you which recruits and families have their hands out for money. Which then leads me to ask...what's our situation? Because I never see ND mentioned when these conversations arise.

In fact, when Operation Varsity Blues went down, it was said that these students could buy their way into practically any school, except ND. So, I imagine we tend to be on the better side of things, but at the same time, I also imagine we still have our tricks, we're just better at hiding them.

Anyone have any clue whether we're 100% clean or whether we're competing within the more seedy spheres of the sport? I imagine that if we are competing in this regard, we have a competitive advantage based on our network being so unique as a university, generally. Our network is amorphous. In other words, you can pin down a single person at many schools, but at ND, it would seem that we'd spread our dealings across an entire network if we were acting like Bama. On the other hand, I can still see us being completely clean, too, except for the Kim chick that was taking players to Vegas... I just don't know, but have always been curious. I don't want to be blind and claim we're Boy Scouts if we aren't.
Yeah, great idea to discuss potential NCAA violations on a public forum. I believe we're as clean as can be.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:18 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post

If we did, you think anyone on this message board would know the answer. LOL

And no, I dont think we have one
Old 12-05-2019, 05:49 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Since moving here, the impression I get is that each sport has little connection as far as the inner-workings. Men's basketball does not know the secrets of the fencing squad. Each coach has their own data point of where they are regarding their shortcomings personally and professionally. Muffett has an exceptional reputation on campus.

With all of that said, I have no reason to believe that our programs don't run clean. Most of the coaches are highly thought of by alumni and donors regarding ethics. I'm very proud of the way Notre Dame athletes and athletic department represents in the community.

So no bag man in my opinion.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:25 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Jesus. Keep it on the dl
Old 12-05-2019, 06:34 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

I'm pretty sure it's Urban Meyer.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:37 PM
Domer Domain All American

Do any of you think that anything said on here is going to be worth a grain of salt to the NCAA when there are much more open secrets floating around the recruiting world as it is... Hell, if you don't want to talk about ND, tell me about other programs.

I mean, in SEC country, there are always the guys hanging around or floating around... Everyone knows about them. Or, hell, just look at the recent FBI basketball scandal.

I know people are connected around here. What kind of stories do you hear? The city of Memphis is generally dirty in this regard, so I hear things indirectly and I'm not even asking for it. In LA it was crazy how open the boosters were about their cheating under Carroll.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:13 PM
Domer Domain Junior

If there is anything like a bagman at ND it is a well kept secret. The school is quick to self report any infraction and take steps sometimes well beyond anything the NCAA would impose on it. I have no knowledge or inside connections to anything, just observations of how ND seems to handle things.

The Dunbar situation is a perfect example. She was a jock chaser and paid $50 or whatever to become a booster club member. I believe if she hadn't done that booster club thing nothing would have come of it from what I remember of the incident.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:03 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

If I told you ..... I would have to kill you.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:01 PM
Banned
Domer Domain Junior

I think we have an unfair advantage...

Old 12-18-2019, 01:28 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to JTennant

I've heard boosters run Saban the wrong way as Saban purposefully tunes out the noise generated.. Will put on headphones and pop laptop up to watch film and recruiting tape while on planes instead of rubbing elbows with the network..