Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2020, 03:47 AM
Domer Domain All American

Default What we've learned

1. Team has quality depth
2. The lines are going to be featured
3. The tight ends are going to be featured
4. The running backs are going to be Featured.

This team seems to make sense.. Led by the defense and the running game. Has a very nostalgic quality.

Receivers are still a question for me. As ND gets to teams with deeper defensive lines I do wonder how things will hold up, But for now, win and and get healthier seems like a good plan.

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 09-20-2020, 11:50 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

I think we also learned that the virus must be pretty rampant in the team. A lot of players out. What happens when Book is out for two games?
Depth is important, but I believe the teams that have the best social discipline will do best. They may not need as much depth if their first team players remain virus-free.
ND has done pretty well with the virus so far. But if missing all those players in game two is any indication, I am worried about the season going forward. Not from WHAT I saw on the field yesterday as much as WHO I didnít see on the field.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:53 PM

Was it confirmed they were out due to Covid?
Old 09-20-2020, 01:55 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

The board sure is quiet after yesterday's win. I am guessing some or all of the players out are covid related. However, other teams should be experiencing the same issues.

Till Austin comes back, I would run 2 TE sets most of the time. Only makes sense when you have Mayer and Tremble.

Foskey is going to be a star.
Old 09-20-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
Was it confirmed they were out due to Covid?
most think contact tracing, but we'll see.

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 09-20-2020, 02:38 PM
Domer Domain Junior

1) Lot of exciting playmakers on D
2) Now I know why the coaches all love Kiser so much
3) We need several more games like this to get our younger DBs more work - Cam Hart looked like a WR playing CB
4) Botello is an animal and will be fun to watch in the future
5) We might have something in that new outside zone, we'll need to see it against better teams to be sure
Old 09-20-2020, 03:16 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thand1 View Post
The board sure is quiet after yesterday's win. I am guessing some or all of the players out are covid related. However, other teams should be experiencing the same issues.

Till Austin comes back, I would run 2 TE sets most of the time. Only makes sense when you have Mayer and Tremble.

Good game, but it was USF so not exciting.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:09 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thand1 View Post

Agree wholeheartedly, but don't sleep on Bothello, the Hawaiian Hurricane!
Old 09-20-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_domer View Post
Good game, but it was USF so not exciting.
I think this tells us more about the quality of depth than how good ND actually is. I still think theyíre a long ways off from competing with Clemson, but theyíve got more talent than people realize.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Irish View Post
Agree wholeheartedly, but don't sleep on Bothello, the Hawaiian Hurricane!
He looks the part. Have to think heís at least in the rotation, if not starting next year.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:45 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

I think we learned we still lack a QB and WRs who can stretch the field. I early await to see that happen more often. If we cannot have some type of threat with Lenzy and Austin or if Book is unable to complete those types of passes then I think we handily loose to Clemson and UL and UNC will be tough.

Very encouraged with the D and they will have to keep the team in close games for more success.

Other than that, I think the running game is something we have sorely missed and the line was improved. Happy to see so much success with the RB and TEs.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:18 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFA03_HUGENDFAN View Post
I think we learned we still lack a QB and WRs who can stretch the field. I early await to see that happen more often. If we cannot have some type of threat with Lenzy and Austin or if Book is unable to complete those types of passes then I think we handily loose to Clemson and UL and UNC will be tough.

Very encouraged with the D and they will have to keep the team in close games for more success.

Other than that, I think the running game is something we have sorely missed and the line was improved. Happy to see so much success with the RB and TEs.
This is spot on analysis. Last yr had the wide outs and not the rbs, this year have the rbs and not the wideouts. If Book canít find wr in 6 seconds either itís him or the wideouts either way itís a problem
Old 09-20-2020, 08:37 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:

I think Lenzy is as least close to being as as fast as Claypool and probably Austin as well. Claypool caught a 87 yard TD in stride today, which never happened at ND because Book doesnít have the arm and always under threw him. The problem is Book and it is what it is.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:21 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:

Louisville doesnít have a defense at all. We wonít be losing handily to them barring a barrage of turnovers.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:24 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

1. It's USF..not going to judge too much against them.
2. However, that was the best I saw our o-line and running backs use their blocks to gain yards in the BK era.
3. Clark Lea is a damn good coach and gets the best out of all our defenders whose ever in. If he stays ND has a chance at a championship.
4. Speaking of defense. We finally are getting really athletic guys in key spots. JOK, OVI, Foskey etc. are really tough to defend against. Something that has been a difficult spot to recruit for ND consistently.
5. Tommy Rees. I'm eating my words a little bit. Hated the hire but have been loving the play-calling so far. Screens, counters, wham blocks, circle routes, stretch plays. All a little different an a fresh of breath air compared to the boring rpo's that had the running back next to the qb running "sideways" as opposed to downhill every play. We were actually under center we tossed one for a touchdown. Just nice to see so far.
6. The rb's...The guys have an attitude that I think the team feeds off of. Kyren, C'bo, and Tyree run fast and hard for little guys. Amazing what ATTITUDE does for a team.
7. The bad...can't get it down field. At some point, a really good defense is going to force us to at least complete a few. i'm not worried about the wr's as much as I think Davis, McKinley and Mayer can make big plays when they get more reps. I don't think the first two ever really got the chance because of the talent ahead of them. Lenzy will be back on the field more and that will also open up more holes for guys. We just need Book to not be scared and have the running backs mentality of not being afraid of taking a hit. He stayed in the pocket on that play-action pass and made a beautiful throw to McKinley I believe. That shows me right there that he can do it. He just has to stop having happy feet. (which he did this game)
8. It's still USF...
Old 09-20-2020, 10:48 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd2000 View Post
Louisville doesnít have a defense at all. We wonít be losing handily to them barring a barrage of turnovers.
Sorry missed a comma. Handily to Clemson, and UL and UNC will be tough. So ya I donít not think they loose big to UL or lose at all. Their O is dynamic and had they not had three turnovers last night they wouldíve beat a much improved UM.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:12 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

RBs look good. D is solid.
I still think we are going to struggle if we have to stretch the field.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Sorry missed a comma. Handily to Clemson, and UL and UNC will be tough. So ya I donít not think they loose big to UL or lose at all. Their O is dynamic and had they not had three turnovers last night they wouldíve beat a much improved UM.
@Pitt is going to be much tougher than Lville.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:33 PM

did jack kizer win the starting job in this game?
Old 09-21-2020, 01:49 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangeruss View Post
did jack kizer win the starting job in this game?
He probably Wally Pipped Simon and Marist.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:19 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Takeaways from Game 2 :

1) Kiser is the real deal the dude can play some tough football
2) TR might have a bright future as an OC
3) John Carney son is not a kicker, he plays QB
4) Dawson Goepferich is a ND kicker now in the record books scoring 1point
5) USF is not very good
Old 09-21-2020, 03:12 PM

also how good was Clarence Lewis in this game, managed to knock away three passes. I think ND has a good CB in lewis and could be a starter or co-starter by the end of the year.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangeruss View Post
also how good was Clarence Lewis in this game, managed to knock away three passes. I think ND has a good CB in lewis and could be a starter or co-starter by the end of the year.
I think Lewis and Bracy are our two best corners. Neither are Uber athletic, however they both turn their heads and play the ball well. This is nice to see after 3 years of Troy Pride never turning to locate the ball.

Also think Kizer deserves another start after his performance.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:32 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
I think Lewis and Bracy are our two best corners. Neither are Uber athletic, however they both turn their heads and play the ball well. This is nice to see after 3 years of Troy Pride never turning to locate the ball.

Also think Kizer deserves another start after his performance.

I read or heard somewhere that Mickens is a firm believer in finding the ball as a corner and teaches this skill constantly in practice and demands his corners do it.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:04 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domers23 View Post
I read or heard somewhere that Mickens is a firm believer in finding the ball as a corner and teaches this skill constantly in practice and demands his corners do it.
If that is the case thatís a breath of fresh air. Gone are the days of Darin Walls, Gary Gray and Tony Pride not looking back for the ball. So frustrating..