Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Recruiting Board

Old 12-27-2019, 05:11 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithInIrishForever View Post

Just repeating this. Love to hear this
The statement on its face is a sad indictment about Kelly's view of recruiting and the program in general. It kind of confirms beliefs that Kelly is a lazy recruiter who simply resigned himself to these low bar standards without going out and fighting.

Sure getting turf, piped in music, stadium expansion, and other new facilities was seen as necessary in order to improve the "brand" and to lure players here. But in the same breath he throws out jinkets like we don't shop the same aisle etc when it comes to recruiting players. Its a bullshit excuse almost as lazy as TW believing players would just magically show up because we're ND.

Who would've thunk you need to outwork the competition to improve the program both on the field and in recruiting. And not only do you need to have that mindset, the staff surrounding you needs to be of the same mold with no weak links who feel its beneath them to hit the recruiting trail hard. Year ten going into eleven and he's still learning and making excuses.

I get why you are happy Faith with this epiphany. To me its just deflating. Hard work, dedication, and consistency is what it takes to be successful on the field and with recruitment.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 12-27-2019, 07:38 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

The state of ND recruiting will depend of the abilities of the coaches to recruit and develop the players.

That's why I have previously mentioned that the school needs to step up and be committed to being top 10 in coaching compensation. Even top 5. I always here about money is not an issue so prove it.

Kelly can't let personal connections get in the way of holding coaches accountable for doing both sides of the job well. I think he's doing a better job of that but there's still improvements to be made.

Coach Lyght is a good example. Good developer of talent but apparently not a great recruiter. It should be a simple conversation. Want to keep your job and become a highly paid coach, bring in better recruits.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:59 PM
Domer Domain All American

Old 01-02-2020, 06:12 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big23Head View Post

Johnson and Shipley MUST be our top targets, we can not afford to be outworked for either.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:03 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post
Johnson and Shipley MUST be our top targets, we can not afford to be outworked for either.
Ive read we stopped our pursuit of Johnson or not to expect us to be involved. Something happened there but Im not sure of the specifics
Old 01-03-2020, 07:36 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by golson5 View Post
Ive read we stopped our pursuit of Johnson or not to expect us to be involved. Something happened there but Im not sure of the specifics
That's interesting, I hadn't heard that about Johnson (not saying that it's not true, though). All I heard was that Ohio State is in the driver's seat. Maybe Lyght's replacement will get ND back in it. They definitely need a high caliber CB in this class, and Johnson is almost the perfect target given his high school connections with Jordan Johnson.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:13 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post
Why would you be worried about ND being outworked on the recruiting front?
Old 01-07-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
They havenít stopped their pursuit. Still very much want Johnson, but itís absolutely not a lock so other guys are starting to get more traction from the staff as well.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangeruss View Post
Big23,

have you heard anything about rb recruit TreVeyon Henderson? I would love to see ND land this kid, looks really fast on film.
ND interest has gone up here. Taylor has him talking about ND and he may visit this spring. Could play RB or S.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:13 AM

My guess on the next commit assuming itís not a 2020 guy like Cam Martinez:

Justin Walters, S, Illinois
Braelon Allen, S, Wisconsin (2022)
Aaron Armitage, DL, New Jersey
Daylan Carnell, CB, Indiana

Outside shot at someone like Will Shipley deciding sooner rather than later.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:52 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

When is our next Junior Day scheduled? I would think with the early commitments now that this will be more important then in the past.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_JACK View Post
When is our next Junior Day scheduled? I would think with the early commitments now that this will be more important then in the past.
February 1st, and yes youíll probably see some kids offered or kids with offers attend and possibly commit soon after. Seems like there is always a commit or two around those times.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:45 PM

So looking at another ND forum, it appears as though Crippen is already considered a decommit.

1) Notre Dame has allegedly not contacted him since he visited Michigan
2) ND is hoping to get the "big 3" they want on the OL: Fisher, Spindler, and Tengwall
3) They are looking at Coogan as well as Dellinger (who some think may be a package deal with Spindler) for a 4th guy

As for the recruit guru's here, have you heard anything about it? Seems like it is a decommit that has been in the works for a month or two.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:49 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhoosier View Post
So looking at another ND forum, it appears as though Crippen is already considered a decommit.

2) ND is hoping to get the "big 3" they want on the OL: Fisher, Spindler, and Tengwall
3) They are looking at Coogan as well as Dellinger (who some think may be a package deal with Spindler) for a 4th guy

As for the recruit guru's here, have you heard anything about it? Seems like it is a decommit that has been in the works for a month or two.
Regarding Crippen, everything you posted is what i have seen for months.

Old 01-23-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:

Yep. Crippen isnít being recruited by ND. Itís that simple. Heís only considered a commitment by the sites because he hasnít officially de-committed.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:42 PM
Banned
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasIrish View Post
Yep. Crippen isn’t being recruited by ND. It’s that simple. He’s only considered a commitment by the sites because he hasn’t officially de-committed.
He looks undersized in the camp video - getting dominated. He may be 6' 2". Looks like he would struggle to get up to size of a top ranked power 5 type team.

https://247sports.com/Player/Greg-Crippen-46050437/
Old 01-23-2020, 10:16 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Whatís the story with RBs? Seems like ND is in on a bunch of them - is the thought that they just take the first that commits, or would they take more than one? Is there a definite pecking order?

I hope we name a DB coach soon, otherwise weíre really going to be playing catch-up, despite already needing some playmakers on the perimeter.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:

As others have said, both sides essentially have parted ways. I removed him from our list here in October or November. His junior play was not at the level expected. He has visited Michigan and possibly other places. ND is in a good spot with OL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifth Horseman View Post
What’s the story with RBs? Seems like ND is in on a bunch of them - is the thought that they just take the first that commits, or would they take more than one? Is there a definite pecking order?

I hope we name a DB coach soon, otherwise we’re really going to be playing catch-up, despite already needing some playmakers on the perimeter.
RBs, Shipley is #1. After that you have Kiner, Henderson, Wheaton, and Edwards. Two is a definite possibility.

I think the DB coach could/should happen in the next week or two.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:08 PM

There are a ton of offers going out right now to the 2021 class. I will update the prospect list once things settle some.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:41 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
As others have said, both sides essentially have parted ways. I removed him from our list here in October or November. His junior play was not at the level expected. He has visited Michigan and possibly other places. ND is in a good spot with OL.

RBs, Shipley is #1. After that you have Kiner, Henderson, Wheaton, and Edwards. Two is a definite possibility.

I think the DB coach could/should happen in the next week or two.
Is Shipley our number 1 focus because he is most realistic? Because Wheaton looks the best to me
Old 01-24-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Is Shipley our number 1 focus because he is most realistic? Because Wheaton looks the best to me
I think he is probably #1 because he is the best overall fit. The balance between getting high quality players that also fit ND, he is #1. Also with location ND has a better record with Shipleys area vs Wheaton.

Overall, the staff is out in full force offering kids and visiting those already offered.

Last edited by Big23Head; 01-24-2020 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:12 AM

Pretty good Junior Day this weekend. ND may get some news from this but nothing imminent. A really Junior Day will happen March 20-22.

I updated the front page with some of the new offers
Old 02-01-2020, 06:37 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Pretty good Junior Day this weekend. ND may get some news from this but nothing imminent. A really Junior Day will happen March 20-22.

I updated the front page with some of the new offers
Hard to believe there is 2 staff openings still. Recruiting is 24/7 and about building relationships. We need to get moving on these hires. Isnt there a dead period soon too?
Old 02-01-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Hard to believe there is 2 staff openings still. Recruiting is 24/7 and about building relationships. We need to get moving on these hires. Isnt there a dead period soon too?
I think the hires are done, but just havenít been made official by ND to the public. That vetting process is always long.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:08 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasIrish View Post
I think the hires are done, but just havenít been made official by ND to the public. That vetting process is always long.
They should be out recruiting by now. All of Kellys hires previously were done by this point