Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Recruiting Board

Old 04-07-2020, 03:30 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cri8nd View Post
You would think a young guy like coach rees would be relentless on the recruiting trail, especially with the fact that he has something to prove.
Day learned to be relentless from Meyer

Smart learned to be relentless from Saban

Rees learned to be relentless from ????

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 04-07-2020, 05:03 PM
Domer Domain All American

No one really knows about Rees yet recruiting wise other than recruits have really liked him and he's done a solid job. He was limited to his regional area and QBs mostly. He will need to increase his presence and effort as that comes with the job. We will see in time.

Last edited by Big23Head; 04-07-2020 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:28 PM

This is NDs #1 problem right now: 247- The big question for recruits: Wait it out? Or get it over with?

Can they get these kids to wait and get them on campus.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:24 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Good article on the Athletic about Will Shipley and how COVID-19 is affecting his recruiting process. There is a 90-day trial period (I think it's 90 days) for those who don't have a subscription (you should, even if it's just for the ND coverage).

https://theathletic.com/1730605/2020...ighting-irish/

Basically, he talks about how COVID-19 has altered the recruiting process for him and changed his timeline. It sounds like he really wants the process to be over, and it's unclear if he will wait much longer before announcing, which would be bad for ND - they need to get him on campus for the big recruiting weekend in June. It sounds like he has been going back and forth on whether to wait or pull the trigger.

Some other takeaways: he sounds close with Clemson's OC and RB coach, Tony Elliot; Dabo has started communicating with him directly (Shipley said he never received a text from him before); he started communicating with BK more directly too starting "a couple of months ago"; he hears from ND commits and players daily - he talks to more players at ND than he does "all other schools combined"; Tommy Rees and Lance Taylor have been trying to connect Shipley to some current players on the roster; ND's communication with Shipley has been "heavier and more frequent" than Clemson (author's words, not Shipley's); the last quote from the article from Shipley: "I want to be committed. I really do. I want to be able to help my class recruit and be the best class there is. Wherever that ends up being, I hope I can really find it and be committed soon. It's just going to be such a relief."
Old 04-08-2020, 02:44 PM

Old 04-08-2020, 04:25 PM

The Bennett guy seems like a quality young man!!!
Old 04-08-2020, 05:25 PM

Old 04-09-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
Day learned to be relentless from Meyer

Smart learned to be relentless from Saban

Rees learned to be relentless from ????
This is a good start, hopefully it continues and grows

Will Shipley Gets Notre Dame Official Visit Questions Answered

Quote:
Matthews (N.C.) Weddington five-star running back Will Shipley is a coveted prospect by just about every school in America. Although he hasn't narrowed down his recruitment officially, it seems as though Notre Dame, Clemson, Stanford, North Carolina State and North Carolina have moved to the top of his list and are the major players down the stretch.

The Fighting Irish were going to host him for the big recruiting weekend of March 20-22. With a January visit to Clemson in his rearview mirror, Shipley was likely going to make a commitment in April following that trip to South Bend and choose one of the five previously mentioned schools. However, but the visit to Notre Dame had to be canceled and it seemed to throw a wrench in his plans.

Shipley then talked about potentially taking an official visit to Notre Dame from June 12-14, but even those plans are up in the air. He wants to make a decision in the near future and would prefer to do so without having to visit any other schools.

Knowing that Notre Dame needed to make a move, Fighting Irish running backs coach Lance Taylor and offensive coordinator Tommy Rees decided to kick things up a notch.

According to Shipley, the two assistant coaches helped create a Notre Dame official visit experience and the top target never even had to leave his house.

"So, my dad and I had a conversation with coach Rees and coach Taylor last week. We had a little conference call to talk about everything, be transparent with each other about the recruitment process," said Shipley. "One thing that my dad and I had told them as the reason we wanted to take that visit, the most important thing to us, was getting to create relationships with the players. We wanted to see the team atmosphere, the locker room, and see if I feel comfortable and would fit in with that portion of it. Obviously, we are unable to do that right now with everything that's going on. I didn't expect coach Rees to go to what he has to get me in touch with 13 or 14 either current players, 2020 signees, or past players that have reached out to me, and they've just kind of given me some guidance throughout the process. They told me I can ask them any questions that I need. I've gotten on the phone with a good amount of them. Just for coach Rees to do that and just show how much he cares, and just try and get me as much information as possible, it means a lot. Coach Rees and coach Taylor are definitely getting us the resources that we need to make the right decision.

"It literally feels like I've been to campus, went out with the guys, got to spend some time with them," continued Shipley regarding these conversations. "That's how close I've gotten with some of the guys. It's been great. Shout out to coach Rees and coach Taylor for getting me connected."

So, who has Shipley spoken with? He mentioned Notre Dame quarterbacks Ian Book and Drew Pyne, safety Kyle Hamilton, wide receiver Chris Finke, tight end Brock Wright, offensive linemen Tommy Kraemer, Robert Hainsey, Tosh Baker, Michael Carmody, linebacker Osita Ekwonu, and running backs Chris Tyree, Jahmir Smith and Mick Assaf.

"I would definitely say Mick has stuck out, just because I've spoken with him the most consistently," said Shipley, when asked which conversations really left the most lasting impression. "Ian was a big one for me, because of his process and how he kind of took a leap of faith to come to Notre Dame and how successful he has been. Kyle really helped me out because he was recruited by some of the same schools that I'm being recruited by. He was able to kind of give me the rundown on his process. I know his dad and my dad spoke Wednesday about everything."

In addition, Shipley was looking forward to a detailed, in-depth academic presentation during his Notre Dame official visit. Well, thanks to technology, the Fighting Irish are helping him get those questions answered.

"I'm actually talking to Professor Christopher Stevens today," said Shipley, regarding the Notre Dame professor, former Fighting Irish basketball player and one of three original developers of the Keurig Premium Coffee System. "So, we're still getting that portion of information, coach Rees and coach Taylor have helped there. I'm also speaking with the head strength and conditioning coach today. My parents are also talking with Blake Fisher's parents tonight. All of those things are kind of coming together. We're going to get a lot of information today from Professor Stevens about the business school, which is what I would most likely be interested in and I think that'll definitely enlighten me. It'll kind of give me clarity on a box I was unsure about with the academics."

Next week, Shipley is expected to get in touch with Adam Sargent, the Associate Director of Academic Services for Student-Athletes at Notre Dame. Sargent has been singled out by many prospects in the past for positively impacting their decisions during the recruiting process.

With his virtual official visit to Notre Dame nearly complete, will he need to actually take an official visit to South Bend before making a final decision between the five schools mentioned at the top? That remains up in the air, but it's starting to look like a commitment could take place in the near future.

"I think with everything that has been going on and speaking to so many of the players, getting all those resources, all the experience, being able to check off those boxes that I wasn't able to check off before, I do think that the decision will probably come before the official visit," said Shipley. "I'm still not exactly sure when it's going to happen and I'm really still not sure on any of it. It's such a tough decision. Clemson, Notre Dame, Stanford, NC State UNC, they're all just really, really good fits. It’s going to be a tough decision, but I think that my family and I will make the right one."

For the time being, as Shipley moves closer to a final decision, the elite running back will continue with his daily routine of getting his school work done, working out, talking to coaches, doing interviews, and enjoying some time with his family.

"Usually I'll try to get up early, not not too early, but early," said Shipley, when asked about his daily routine while at home. "I'll get in the weight room in the morning. Then get in the sauna. Then eat some breakfast. I'll kind of chill throughout the day and finish up my homework. Then I'll eat some lunch. Then I'll go out and do some field work. Depending on how tough it is, I'll come back and get in the cold tub, so I'm not sore the next day. Then I'll just relax before dinner and watch a movie or something at night."

Per the 247Sports Composite Rankings, Shipley is the No. 20 overall player in the country, No. 1 all-purpose back nationally and No. 1 prospect in North Carolina from the class of 2021.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:39 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

That sounds like Reed and Taylor talked with him enough to know whatís important to him and showed an ability to try to address those issues even in a tough time.

I must say Iím impressed.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:49 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Thanks Big.....After reading that if they donít get Shipley it doesnít sound like it was a lack of effort on NDís part
Old 04-11-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDomer View Post
That sounds like Reed and Taylor talked with him enough to know whatís important to him and showed an ability to try to address those issues even in a tough time.

I must say Iím impressed.
Nice creative thinking on their part. Kids are fickle, at this point in time, he might truly believe heíll hold off on a decision before visiting ND in person. However, you canít count on that to be the same in 3-4 months. Heís too valuable a piece in this class to not put on the full court press, especially when the biggest competitor left is Clemson.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:42 PM

I'll put this here. Right now, I don't know that ND is actually in play with him. May just be an eye catcher

Old 04-14-2020, 03:40 PM

Old 04-17-2020, 03:55 PM

A lot of social media buzz on Shipley. McCaffery gave a shout out to Lance Taylor and Rees RTíd it. Iím wondering if something is going on behind the scenes, but I love the aggressiveness.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
A lot of social media buzz on Shipley. McCaffery gave a shout out to Lance Taylor and Rees RTíd it. Iím wondering if something is going on behind the scenes, but I love the aggressiveness.
Hopefully the swagger continues. I think Rees and Taylor could make a great recruiting tandem. McNutly has some swagger too.

Old 04-17-2020, 04:13 PM

DL recruiting pretty much wrapped up. Armitage is out. Onye is likely next to commit. Then I'd expect they sit and wait for the right speed rush guy if they want/need one.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:21 PM

Old 04-17-2020, 09:52 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big23Head View Post
DL recruiting pretty much wrapped up. Armitage is out. Onye is likely next to commit. Then I'd expect they sit and wait for the right speed rush guy if they want/need one.
Why is Armitage out?
Old 04-17-2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big23Head View Post
Hopefully the swagger continues. I think Rees and Taylor could make a great recruiting tandem. McNutly has some swagger too.

Taylorís track record speaks for itself. Iím still very much weary on Rees at OC. But Iím glad theyíre balls to the wall.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Redrum View Post
Why is Armitage out?
He eliminated ND but it also sounds like him and Onye were vying for the same position. Probably mutual at this point. Onye seems like a done deal. I'd bet Stanford for Armitage assuming academics are his top priority.

Last edited by Big23Head; 04-18-2020 at 02:40 AM.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:39 AM

Could be a sleeper

Old 04-19-2020, 12:55 AM

Old 04-19-2020, 12:58 AM

Probably VT, a visit to ND would have been huge with him

Old 04-21-2020, 03:16 PM

Realistically he has a top 5 probably and ND is in there

Old 04-21-2020, 03:23 PM