Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2019, 07:54 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Default Jenkins Quote about Kelly

Quote:
"Looking back at that decision 10 years ago, I couldn’t be more happy,” Jenkins said. “I don’t think any coach in America, given the constraints that he’s working under, I don’t think any coach in America has done better. We couldn’t be happier with Brian and the success that he’s had at Notre Dame and how he’s represented the University so well."
There you have it.

I really wonder about when my generation dies off, if ND will put another stake in the heart of the program and become Northwestern. As for fan support, I already see a difference in the younger alumni I know, who have never seen a NC caliber ND team, know they never will and have seen a lot of crap games and blowouts. I also doubt there will be a large, new generation of subway alumni in the coming generations, as it's simply not the American way to be passionate about sporting teams with feel good stories about how well they do despite restrictions that will never yield a NC. Passionate fans want to win it all. You can already see our diminished status this season. We went 10-2, but got snubbed by the CFP committee and are playing 5-loss Iowa State in a nothing bowl, where we are only a 3.5-point favorite. ND can only dress up their satisfaction with knowing they don't care to ever win the NC for so long, until the facade falls apart. People will argue about Crossroads as a commitment, but they could cut away the bowl, put a quad between the buildings and build a smaller stadium like Northwestern's Ryan Field, or Stanford Stadium.

Here's the article the quote came from: https://theathletic.com/1450983/2019...aching-search/

Last edited by Frankus; 12-11-2019 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:40 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Thatís bc you live in an era that is long gone. Schools have become football factories and the academic integrity of the avg player has plummeted. Why would a kid with the equivalent of a 10th grade education want to come to ND to work his azz off in the classroom when he can do nothing but focus on football at Bama, Clemson, or OSU? Youíre really oblivious to the modern world of college athletics
Old 12-11-2019, 08:46 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

And nowhere in that quote was it stated winning a NC isnít a priority. Youíre putting words in his mouth. What high academic school is currently competing for National Championships in football? None, bc itís nearly impossible. Pull your head out of your azz. Kelly isnít an elite coach, but nobody has more constraints and high expectations on them in all of sports than the coach at ND. Itís the equivalent of the Yankees managers working with the Blue Jays Payroll.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:47 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
Itís the equivalent of the Yankees managers working with the Blue Jays Payroll.
Ummmm, the Yankees are worth $4.6 billion. Rogers who own the Jays are worth $26.6 billion...
Old 12-12-2019, 02:09 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsan View Post
Ummmm, the Yankees are worth $4.6 billion. Rogers who own the Jays are worth $26.6 billion...
The point is, youíre being tasked to compete at a high level without the same resources as the other teams competing at that level.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:22 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
And nowhere in that quote was it stated winning a NC isnít a priority. Youíre putting words in his mouth. Pull your head out of your azz.
Pull my head out of my azz? Pull your head out of your azz. They aren't going to win a NC. There is no savior coach coming (why would he?) and the restrictions will remain.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:15 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankus View Post
Pull my head out of my azz? Pull your head out of your azz. They aren't going to win a NC. There is no savior coach coming (why would he?) and the restrictions will remain.
The only savior coaches (outside of a couple - maybe only one exception) are already in situations they wouldn't leave, so technically, that's basically correct.

However, I don't see why some of the hot, young names in coaching wouldn't entertain the thought of coming here....guys who, with a few key recruits, could at least win a playoff game along the way.

For all my frustrations with BK, he has made the gig look more appealing over the past few years, showing you can, even w/the extra challenges, come here and win 10+ games a year consecutively, and yes, even make the playoffs.

Last edited by NDNorm; 12-12-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:56 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
That’s bc you live in an era that is long gone. Schools have become football factories and the academic integrity of the avg player has plummeted. Why would a kid with the equivalent of a 10th grade education want to come to ND to work his azz off in the classroom when he can do nothing but focus on football at Bama, Clemson, or OSU? You’re really oblivious to the modern world of college athletics
Do you think that schools such as Alabama, Ohio St, etc. were not "football factories" back in the 60's, 70's, and 80's?
Old 12-11-2019, 08:59 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
Do you think that schools such as Alabama, Ohio St, etc. were not "football factories" back in the 60's, 70's, and 80's?
I think it was harder academically. If youíve seen Last Chance U and the type of kids from JUCOs that go to these SEC schools, itís shameful.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:23 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
I think it was harder academically. If youíve seen Last Chance U and the type of kids from JUCOs that go to these SEC schools, itís shameful.

I do not think that much has changed with regards to the academics (or lack thereof) for football players. Just that there is more exposure to athletes via internet interviews, cable shows, etc.

In 1983, I knew an OL recruit who was a high school All-American who went to Texas and was recruited by all of the top colleges. I doubt that he was even at the 10th grade level.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:29 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
Of course there were. You can add USC to that list. However, there were two different factors working back then that made ND still elite back then. Hesburgh wanted to integrate ND football and the south was slow (particularly in the 60's) to do that. Secondly, there were players from Ara to Holtz that were admitted who would never get into ND, because they depended on football revenue in a way that the do not today. This ended with Holtz and has been the operating procedure since. The other interesting factor in all this is going to be student interest. For example, I have season basketball tickets and this new ND student has no interest in the men's basketball program. It will be interesting to see if the student interest and participation declines in football as well as ND makes its transition closer and closer to Stanford and Northwestern. I see it as inevitable. Nothing short of a NFL minor league will stop it.

Last edited by Frankus; 12-12-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:29 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Thatís bc you live in an era that is long gone. Schools have become football factories and the academic integrity of the avg player has plummeted. Why would a kid with the equivalent of a 10th grade education want to come to ND to work his azz off in the classroom when he can do nothing but focus on football at Bama, Clemson, or OSU? Youíre really oblivious to the modern world of college athletics
Excuses. Excuses.

Old 12-12-2019, 02:07 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacious_ND View Post
Excuses. Excuses.
Not excuses, those are massive constraints. You purposefully ignoring them is delusional. Lou wouldnít win s**t in todayís game. He flopped worse at Scar than Spurrier.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:35 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Not excuses, those are massive constraints. You purposefully ignoring them is delusional. Lou wouldnít win s**t in todayís game. He flopped worse at Scar than Spurrier.
So Kelly>Holtz.

Stay off the acid boomer.

Old 12-12-2019, 06:03 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacious_ND View Post
So Kelly>Holtz.

Stay off the acid boomer.
If both had to coach in todayís environment, yes.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:30 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
You do realize Lou took over a 1-10 S Carolina team. Far from what Kelly took over from ND when he arrived at ND. Lou was also SEC coach of the year a year after he took over for S Carolina. Quite a feat for S Carolina program. But he couldnít sustain it. But what can you expect from a 64 year old coach trying to rebuild a terrible program. In 6 years from now, do you actually think Kelly would do any better of a job coaching a team like Kansas than Lou did at S Carolina? Very doubtful.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:49 PM
Domer Domain All American

Is anyone really surprised by the comments? Iím not. Kelly has done an admirable job, look at where we were from 2000-2010 to where we are now. This place is now attractive to all coaches as a destination. If Kelly has proven he can get us there, a big name is all we need to actually win the big game.

I will day ten years is long enough to know getting there is the best he will do. Great foundation he built but now he needs to move on so we can take the next step in the progression.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:19 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
I'm not oblivious. I'm stating where I think ND will be in 25 years based on your point about the modern era. Nothing short of minor league football will save this descent.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:48 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
You're extremely condescending when both when speaking to us here on this board, as well as when speaking about players in a sport you supposedly like (or at least I'd assume so since you have posted 4000+ times.) If the "world of college athletics" is such a cesspool and nobody at Alabama/Clemson/OSU could ever even pretend to be a ND student why do you watch? If ND is handicapping themselves to the extent you believe then what is truly the point? Do you believe Alums, fans and the team should pat themselves on the back and say "WELL AT LEAST WE GO TO SCHOOL!" while ignoring ND has vacated wins due to academic impropriety within the last 10 years, had more arrests than the previous coaches and had a student manager die due to negligence? Now I'm not blaming Kelly/The University for any of those things, but it's hard to hold the moral high ground with the decade ND has had.

I'd also like you to tell me exactly what the "constraints" are that ND is under compared to other schools. You can't just say "WELL OUR KIDS GO TO SCHOOL" while ignoring Clemson has a 75% graduation rate, or ignoring the fact that ND has offered over half of the top 30 players per 247. ND players need a slightly higher GPA/test scores out of high school, but it's most certainly not as high as you seem to think it is. The great players don't want to come because they want to win championships and be prepared for their future job in the NFL, and the schools that are beating ND are better at those things.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:01 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardo View Post
You're extremely condescending when both when speaking to us here on this board, as well as when speaking about players in a sport you supposedly like (or at least I'd assume so since you have posted 4000+ times.) If the "world of college athletics" is such a cesspool and nobody at Alabama/Clemson/OSU could ever even pretend to be a ND student why do you watch? If ND is handicapping themselves to the extent you believe then what is truly the point? Do you believe Alums, fans and the team should pat themselves on the back and say "WELL AT LEAST WE GO TO SCHOOL!" while ignoring ND has vacated wins due to academic impropriety within the last 10 years, had more arrests than the previous coaches and had a student manager die due to negligence? Now I'm not blaming Kelly/The University for any of those things, but it's hard to hold the moral high ground with the decade ND has had.

I'd also like you to tell me exactly what the "constraints" are that ND is under compared to other schools. You can't just say "WELL OUR KIDS GO TO SCHOOL" while ignoring Clemson has a 75% graduation rate, or ignoring the fact that ND has offered over half of the top 30 players per 247. ND players need a slightly higher GPA/test scores out of high school, but it's most certainly not as high as you seem to think it is. The great players don't want to come because they want to win championships and be prepared for their future job in the NFL, and the schools that are beating ND are better at those things.
ND offered 20 5* players of the 33 5* players from the 2020 class per rivals.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:52 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankus View Post
There you have it.

I really wonder about when my generation dies off, if ND will put another stake in the heart of the program and become Northwestern. As for fan support, I already see a difference in the younger alumni I know, who have never seen a NC caliber ND team, know they never will and have seen a lot of crap games and blowouts. I also doubt there will be a large, new generation of subway alumni in the coming generations, as it's simply not the American way to be passionate about sporting teams with feel good stories about how well they do despite restrictions that will never yield a NC. Passionate fans want to win it all. You can already see our diminished status this season. We went 10-2, but got snubbed by the CFP committee and are playing 5-loss Iowa State in a nothing bowl, where we are only a 3.5-point favorite. ND can only dress up their satisfaction with knowing they don't care to ever win the NC for so long, until the facade falls apart. People will argue about Crossroads as a commitment, but they could cut away the bowl, put a quad between the buildings and build a smaller stadium like Northwestern's Ryan Field, or Stanford Stadium.

Here's the article the quote came from: https://theathletic.com/1450983/2019...aching-search/
Ok, boomer.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:55 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pregame View Post
Ok, boomer.
Iím a Millennial, I hate that phrase. Tell him why heís wrong, donít just spew out some sarcastic b**tchy retort.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:59 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Iím a Millennial, I hate that phrase. Tell him why heís wrong, donít just spew out some sarcastic b**tchy retort.
sorry i thought there were still jokes on the internet, not everything is life and death here man
Old 12-11-2019, 11:52 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pregame View Post
sorry i thought there were still jokes on the internet, not everything is life and death here man
If I wanted a joke, Iíd follow you into the John and watch you take a leak
Old 12-12-2019, 12:01 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
If I wanted a joke, Iíd follow you into the John and watch you take a leak
Thatís a bit weird, even for you.