Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Recruiting Board

Old 05-17-2020, 05:30 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

He's a must get and looks to be even better than Shipley. Coach Taylor is a relentless recruiter and Edwards likes ND so this could be a match made in heaven.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 05-18-2020, 06:20 PM
Domer Domain All American

landing Edwards would be huge considering ND put all their eggs in one basket and lost.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:52 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Looks like Thornton is going to be a Duck with new CBs coming in....ugh.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFA03_HUGENDFAN View Post
I wouldn't say it is final, especially with the lack of visits. A lot to play out this year.

Last edited by Big23Head; 05-18-2020 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:13 PM

OL options are shrinking. Spindler is a must get. Need a solid OT prospect with upside too.

Last edited by Big23Head; 05-18-2020 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:17 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big23Head View Post
OL options are shrinking. Spindler is a must get. Need a solid OT prospect with upside too.

I think things look good with Spindler. Finding a tackle will be tougher. Once visits start up we may have to flip someone
Old 05-19-2020, 09:49 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFA03_HUGENDFAN View Post
I believe he has said in the past that he is planning to commit in January (can't remember which All American game he is playing in), so I wouldn't worry just yet.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:25 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Some positive news as it looks like CB Ryan Barnes (MD) is trending to ND. Three 247 crystal balls were put in for Barnes to ND today, including two by national analysts who are currently correct 98.48% (65/66) and 99.53% (210/211) of the time.

Barnes is a 247 Composite 3-star (#580 overall) with an elite offer list: Clemson, Georgia, LSU, among others. Although he hasn't officially narrowed his list down, most believe it is a 3-team race between ND, Michigan, and Clemson. Looks like he could visit campus as soon as this weekend. Not sure if he is on commit watch or not, but very positive sign regardless.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:30 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
Some positive news as it looks like CB Ryan Barnes (MD) is trending to ND. Three 247 crystal balls were put in for Barnes to ND today, including two by national analysts who are currently correct 98.48% (65/66) and 99.53% (210/211) of the time.

Barnes is a 247 Composite 3-star (#580 overall) with an elite offer list: Clemson, Georgia, LSU, among others. Although he hasn't officially narrowed his list down, most believe it is a 3-team race between ND, Michigan, and Clemson. Looks like he could visit campus as soon as this weekend. Not sure if he is on commit watch or not, but very positive sign regardless.
Hope we could get his commitment locked up. That would be 2 corners. We can pass on a 3rd or if a top one shows interest we could put the full court press on them (Wright).

Barnes looks to have everything except top level speed. He'd be a nice addition.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:39 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Rumors out there that David Abiara is going to flip to OU. Big blow to the class.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Rumors out there that David Abiara is going to flip to OU. Big blow to the class.
Yeah, weird situation and a bummer. Not sure it is a huge blow but I do think he is underrated and would have seen his stock rise with camps.

ND has hit it off well with a few solid recruits lately. Really they just need practices and games to occur. ND should have a good team this year and finish strong but maybe not what they were hoping for as of right now.

Old 05-22-2020, 11:15 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
ND should have a good team this year and finish strong but maybe not what they were hoping for as of right now.
Seems that we say this every year. Oh well, there is always the 2022 class...
Old 05-22-2020, 01:12 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

It had to be more fun to follow college football before recruiting was so much in the spotlight lol.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:16 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
https://heartland-sports.com/2020/05...om-notre-dame/
Old 05-22-2020, 02:34 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
At the moment, I believe BK has had two recruits decommit on him this cycle. Are there any commits to other schools that are likely candidates to be flipped to ND? I have not looked at numbers in the last couple of years but I'm pretty sure that BK has stolen more commited recruits than he has lost while at ND.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:19 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifth Horseman View Post
It had to be more fun to follow college football before recruiting was so much in the spotlight lol.
It was great back in the Holtz days.
As national signing day approached, the local paper would have a half-page that showed the top 8 or 10 national recruits at each position, along with where they had committed. ND always, and I mean always, had either the number 1, 2, or 3 kid at each position. That all started to change at the end of Holtz's tenure.
It was kind of fun not focusing on recruiting at all. You just knew that ND was going to have the best players across the board.
Now I look at recruiting year round on the internet, hoping that ND might get one of the top 5 players at some of the positions.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:15 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Flanner View Post
It was great back in the Holtz days.
As national signing day approached, the local paper would have a half-page that showed the top 8 or 10 national recruits at each position, along with where they had committed. ND always, and I mean always, had either the number 1, 2, or 3 kid at each position. That all started to change at the end of Holtz's tenure.
It was kind of fun not focusing on recruiting at all. You just knew that ND was going to have the best players across the board.
Now I look at recruiting year round on the internet, hoping that ND might get one of the top 5 players at some of the positions.
Interesting insight, thank you. There’s almost too much of a microscope on it for fans to ignore. If you follow any sort of ND media outlet or prominent social media page, you’re going to get every bit of news. I guess I’m not saying it’s a good thing or a bad thing, it’s just different. In some ways, it’s a way to feel “wins” and “losses” even in the offseason.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:27 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

No surprises here. Many think ND leads. He is an absolute must get considering what the OL board looks like. Need to pair him with Fisher because they will likely end up with a lower rated 3-star as the 4th OL in the class.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:23 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

ND makes Top 6 for WR Dont'e Thornton (4-star, #47 overall), along with Arizona State, Florida State, Oregon, USC, and Virginia. It sounds like Oregon and Arizona State are the leaders right now. He is planning to commit during the All American Game in January, so ND has plenty of time to make a move. I wouldn't say he is a must get, but ND really needs to land either him or Colzie, IMO, to have an elite WR class.

Old 05-26-2020, 05:27 PM

Old 05-26-2020, 05:35 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
No surprises here. Many think ND leads. He is an absolute must get considering what the OL board looks like. Need to pair him with Fisher because they will likely end up with a lower rated 3-star as the 4th OL in the class.
So if Brian Kelly does not land Spindler, ND could end up with one four star (Fisher) and three low three star OL in 2021?

If so, then Kelly will have only recruited three 4-star and three 3-star OL in 2020 and 2021 combined which is a step down from past recruiting.

Unfortunately, with only taking two OL last year, it is hard not to take four this year even if three might be low 3-stars. It is too bad that a lot seems to be riding on getting Spindler without any real contingency plans. Hopefully BK is able to land him.

Last edited by jbrown_9999; 05-26-2020 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:01 PM

Old 05-27-2020, 03:12 PM

Old 05-27-2020, 04:21 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
So if Brian Kelly does not land Spindler, ND could end up with one four star (Fisher) and three low three star OL in 2021?

If so, then Kelly will have only recruited three 4-star and three 3-star OL in 2020 and 2021 combined which is a step down from past recruiting.

Unfortunately, with only taking two OL last year, it is hard not to take four this year even if three might be low 3-stars. It is too bad that a lot seems to be riding on getting Spindler without any real contingency plans. Hopefully BK is able to land him.
Yep, OL recruiting is not in a great place right now. I thought Quinn did an excellent job taking over for HH on the recruiting trail in 2019 - he signed four guys who were ranked #95, #118, #183, and #185, including two All Americans. That was a really good haul. Last cycle was a step back, mainly due to numbers. They got two guys at #99 overall and #145 overall and both were All Americans, but they really needed a 3rd guy. They missed on Jimmy Christ and Peter Skoronski, either of whom would have been great.

I think if ND lands Spindler, this OL class is fine - two elite guys at the top (Fisher and Spindler), plus Coogan who, despite being a 3-star, had elite offers (Ohio State, LSU, Oklahoma, etc.), and a 4th guy who will need to develop (Alt or Bounds). But if they whiff on Spindler, then OL recruiting is in a bad place and they will need to get 4-5 OL in 2022.

As you said, a lot rides on Spindler, and there are really no other elite targets ND is in on. I mentioned in another thread that ND is probably in better shape for Nolan Rucci (5-star OT from PA), but I still think they are sitting no better than 3rd (behind PSU and Wisconsin). So, it's pretty much Spindler or bust, which is not a comfortable position to be in because he is a Michigan guy and Michigan is in his top group. There seems to be a split among recruiting analysts as to which way he is leaning - ND or Michigan. I don't think this is a McGregor situation at all, but still, a lot rides on a Top 50 recruit from Michigan choosing ND over the home state school.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:24 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Another DE offer went out yesterday. TJ Bollers (4-star, #219 overall) from Iowa. ND is very late to the game, but it seems like this offer means a lot to him and may cause him to slow things down.