Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Recruiting Board

Old 05-27-2020, 04:35 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
Yep, OL recruiting is not in a great place right now. I thought Quinn did an excellent job taking over for HH on the recruiting trail in 2019 - he signed four guys who were ranked #95, #118, #183, and #185, including two All Americans. That was a really good haul. Last cycle was a step back, mainly due to numbers. They got two guys at #99 overall and #145 overall and both were All Americans, but they really needed a 3rd guy. They missed on Jimmy Christ and Peter Skoronski, either of whom would have been great.

I think if ND lands Spindler, this OL class is fine - two elite guys at the top (Fisher and Spindler), plus Coogan who, despite being a 3-star, had elite offers (Ohio State, LSU, Oklahoma, etc.), and a 4th guy who will need to develop (Alt or Bounds). But if they whiff on Spindler, then OL recruiting is in a bad place and they will need to get 4-5 OL in 2022.

As you said, a lot rides on Spindler, and there are really no other elite targets ND is in on. I mentioned in another thread that ND is probably in better shape for Nolan Rucci (5-star OT from PA), but I still think they are sitting no better than 3rd (behind PSU and Wisconsin). So, it's pretty much Spindler or bust, which is not a comfortable position to be in because he is a Michigan guy and Michigan is in his top group. There seems to be a split among recruiting analysts as to which way he is leaning - ND or Michigan. I don't think this is a McGregor situation at all, but still, a lot rides on a Top 50 recruit from Michigan choosing ND over the home state school.
In retrospect, should Kelly have kept Crippen in the class? Will he be better than the 4th OL they will pick up now?

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 05-27-2020, 04:40 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
In retrospect, should Kelly have kept Crippen in the class? Will he be better than the 4th OL they will pick up now?
No. I think Coogan is actually pretty good, meaning a low 4 star, and an upgrade. If his size truly checks out, that was a big win for ND. They need to land one more top guy and another project. Potentially add a 5th OL down the road.

Right now most are criticizing Quinn, which I get and that is fair. But no one knows just how bad missing these visits hurt ND with the OL recruiting. Add just 1 of those mid to upper level OL and no one has a problem right now. Time will tell.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:19 PM

This list is likely smaller than 15. ND, Michigan, Clemson, PSU, UVA, maybe Duke

Old 05-28-2020, 12:21 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

I think ND will have a shot at flipping some recruits this year once visits are allowed. I'm hoping the staff are remaining in close contact with the top recruits that have committed elsewhere or moving towards other schools. I normally wouldn't even want a recruit that flips commitments but this is not an ordinary year.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:12 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big23Head View Post
24 hours after releasing a Top 6, Kechaun Bennett commits to Michigan.

Old 05-28-2020, 02:27 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Seems as if there have been a fair amount of commitments for other schools lately.

Any chance at a commit in May?
Old 05-28-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Seems as if there have been a fair amount of commitments for other schools lately.

Any chance at a commit in May?
I doubt there is a commit in the next 3 days. June possibly but the lack of visits may prolong this.

Old 05-28-2020, 03:48 PM

Committing today, COVID knocked ND out of this one. They should have had a solid chance with a visit. Kid can play

Old 05-28-2020, 04:10 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Are we doing virtual tours of campus by chance?
Old 05-28-2020, 06:21 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
Are we doing virtual tours of campus by chance?
Yes, adn there was another recruit who did an actual visit on his own.

Old 05-28-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synoptico View Post
Yes, adn there was another recruit who did an actual visit on his own.
Yeah and there might be another stopping through to check it out on their own. ND is stuck right now being a national recruiting school. They absolutely need visits to get interest at all and/or confirm interest from longer distances. ND can still land a very good class. If football is played they should have a strong team and decommitments will happen this year if things with COVID move back toward normal. Hindsight is 20/20 but man I wish ND took two RBs last year. Tyree and Trayanum would be looking amazing right now.

Last edited by Big23Head; 05-28-2020 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:56 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Yeah and there might be another stopping through to check it out on their own. ND is stuck right now being a national recruiting school. They absolutely need visits to get interest at all and/or confirm interest from longer distances. ND can still land a very good class. If football is played they should have a strong team and decommitments will happen this year if things with COVID move back toward normal. Hindsight is 20/20 but man I wish ND took two RBs last year. Tyree and Trayanum would be looking amazing right now.
and a LB too, maybe a brother of a current player.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:01 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Yeah no question. Hindsight is 20/20. Maybe too many eggs in on Shipley.
Anyways, no question that ND needs to get bodies to campus. I was just curious if ND was being proactive as much as they can to try to get kids interested. A pump up video and all that and has to offer can go along way to youngís kids trying to decide. At least in hopes that it will have kids delay making a choice until they saw NDís campus.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:05 AM
Domer Domain Junior

In the past week, Michigan has gotten commitments from two 4* LBs - one from Brentwood, TN and one from St. Thomas Aquinas in FL, in addition to Bennett from CT. They seem to be something right to generate momentum with these lack of visits.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:55 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Fence View Post
In the past week, Michigan has gotten commitments from two 4* LBs - one from Brentwood, TN and one from St. Thomas Aquinas in FL, in addition to Bennett from CT. They seem to be something right to generate momentum with these lack of visits.
Seem to be a fair number of recruits committing to schools more than one state away despite lack of visits. Not sure that BK is getting his share. Maybe his zoom presence is lacking compared to other head coaches.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:11 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Seem to be a fair number of recruits committing to schools more than one state away despite lack of visits. Not sure that BK is getting his share. Maybe his zoom presence is lacking compared to other head coaches.
I like that “zoom presence”. Call me crazy but I firmly believe that technology does not love everyone equally. The camera/video can help some come across as much more appealing. Not that it should make or break a recruits decision but every little bit helps in a close recruitment.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:43 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

I think we should reserve judgement on recruiting till signing day. This year isn't like any other. Campus visits will be allowed at some point before signing day and I am hoping that ND can flip recruits at that point. I would rather wait to see if that happens than fill in the class with mostly 3 star recruits.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:45 PM

Old 06-01-2020, 07:35 PM

OL board shrinking further, Fatheree and Bounds gone
Old 06-01-2020, 09:10 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
OL board shrinking further, Fatheree and Bounds gone
Pretty sad when we canít even beat UM for a 3star from CT. Frustrating for sure.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFA03_HUGENDFAN View Post
Pretty sad when we canít even beat UM for a 3star from CT. Frustrating for sure.
Not worried about a kid like Bounds. He is a project and hit or miss. BUT in the long run ND needs things to open up for visits or they will be in trouble. For the level they want to recruit at anyway.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:53 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Don't want 3 stars. I would bet that ND flips a few of the top recruits that have signed elsewhere by signing day.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:02 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Not worried about a kid like Bounds. He is a project and hit or miss. BUT in the long run ND needs things to open up for visits or they will be in trouble. For the level they want to recruit at anyway.
It's too bad that Kelly needs in person visits while other schools seem to be getting commitments without them even for out of state recruits.

What can Kelly do differently to compete?
Old 06-02-2020, 02:17 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thand1 View Post
Don't want 3 stars. I would bet that ND flips a few of the top recruits that have signed elsewhere by signing day.
and also lose David Abiara to OU...
Old 06-02-2020, 02:18 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Personally I think losing out on Bounds was a blessing in disguise. No one should lose any sleep about losing out on a project. With 7+ months to go I think weíll land another couple 4 stars.