Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2019, 10:10 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Clearly all the conference contracts cost us a new years bowl this year....there was a time only a few years ago that a 10/2 ND team would have had a couple of strong bowl options.....now we have to take whats available....

Actually this may be the very first post season where we are suffering a penalty for our non conference stature...over the last several years it threatened to be an issue but in the end was not,,,,this time we got bit

On the other hand have we ever played iowa state before? I don't think so.... it will be an interesting and I'm sure tough game.

11 and 2 would be a very successful season by most peoples meausrements
10 and 3 with a bowl loss to add to the fiasco in ann arbor would be less then no doubt..

aloha

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 12-09-2019, 12:51 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Cyclone fans are up for the game.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ELS7gOhXkAE96hM.jpg (6.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 12-09-2019, 01:36 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

All this talk about nothing to gain is pathetic. Whatever happened to just being competitive and wanting to win games? Is pride not a thing anymore?
And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine patris, et filii, et spiritus sancti.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:48 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishWarrior81 View Post
All this talk about nothing to gain is pathetic. Whatever happened to just being competitive and wanting to win games? Is pride not a thing anymore?
Welcome to the Domer Domain Forums...

EDIT: I completely agree with you BTW
Old 12-09-2019, 02:42 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticImport View Post
Cyclone fans are up for the game.
Only problem I see with this is Indiana is loaded with cornfields too. They can do better.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:47 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishGuy View Post
Welcome to the Domer Domain Forums...

EDIT: I completely agree with you BTW
I think where ND is ranked playing the lowly ranked Iowa St team is a let down. When has ND played Iowa State? No rivalry or bragging rights? When has Nd had such a good season and being ranked 15 has ND ever played the 34th best team? One with 5 losses? I think I thatís what fans are feeling.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:48 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiirish View Post
Clearly all the conference contracts cost us a new years bowl this year....there was a time only a few years ago that a 10/2 ND team would have had a couple of strong bowl options.....now we have to take whats available....

Actually this may be the very first post season where we are suffering a penalty for our non conference stature...over the last several years it threatened to be an issue but in the end was not,,,,this time we got bit

On the other hand have we ever played iowa state before? I don't think so.... it will be an interesting and I'm sure tough game.

11 and 2 would be a very successful season by most peoples meausrements
10 and 3 with a bowl loss to add to the fiasco in ann arbor would be less then no doubt..

aloha
Bowl loss to Iowa State will be a horrible cap to the season. The off-season will be more polarized and will make sun-shine pumpers job hard over the summer. If we win then the turd polishing of beating a 7-5 team will commence full bore!
Old 12-09-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
I think where ND is ranked playing the lowly ranked Iowa St team is a let down. When has ND played Iowa State? No rivalry or bragging rights? When has Nd had such a good season and being ranked 15 has ND ever played the 34th best team? One with 5 losses? I think I thatís what fans are feeling.
I don't feel that way. isu is a good team they were nearly a 10-2 football team with very close losses to iowa, baylor and Oklahoma. lets cheer on the irish and hopefully they finish the season 11-2.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:02 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
Has nothing to do with that. Bowl games have contracts. The other slots were all filled before ND was eligible.
So, the firm hold at #14/15/16 in rankings well behind 3 loss auburns and 2 loss p5 teams with no real matchups was irrelevant?
Old 12-09-2019, 06:25 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangeruss View Post
I don't feel that way. isu is a good team they were nearly a 10-2 football team with very close losses to iowa, baylor and Oklahoma. lets cheer on the irish and hopefully they finish the season 11-2.
Exactly. Their record doesn't reflect much at all. I think we'd lose to 2 if not 3 of those teams had we played them this year.

Im indifferent about a mid tier bowl game, but I could certainly see us losing to a team like ISU.
"If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy." - Flemming Rose
Old 12-09-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Has nothing to do with that. Bowl games have contracts. The other slots were all filled before ND was eligible.
If nd was ranked higher they couldve gotten into the orange or cotton bowl slots. But the slots were limited for the Irish this year. It's clear for the first time being independent really hurt us when it came to bowl selection.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:31 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Default ND only 3.5 point favorites

Hard to believe that a 10-2 Irish squad are only 3.5 favorites over a 7-5 Iowa State team on a neutral field.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:04 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
I guess it's better than getting smashed by Alabama by 30. Which Michigan is going to do...
Bama has quit, they might beat Michigan based purely on talent, but itís not going to be a blowout
Old 12-09-2019, 09:58 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
Hard to believe that a 10-2 Irish squad are only 3.5 favorites over a 7-5 Iowa State team on a neutral field.
Iowa St is better than 7-5. No great wins, but all 5 losses were close to top 25 teams according to Massey. ND should win, but not all 7-5 teams are created equal.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Iowa St is better than 7-5. No great wins, but all 5 losses were close to top 25 teams according to Massey. ND should win, but not all 7-5 teams are created equal.
I also heard a stat that ISU is the only team in the country over the last 2 or 3 years that has not lost a game by more than 14 points. ISU has the ability to keep games close.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:01 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by imroc View Post
So, the firm hold at #14/15/16 in rankings well behind 3 loss auburns and 2 loss p5 teams with no real matchups was irrelevant?
Correct. Unless you think ND should be ranked above Florida and Penn St., ND is the bowl they would have been in even if they were ranked #11.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:11 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
Bama has quit, they might beat Michigan based purely on talent, but itís not going to be a blowout
Yep....100% agree. Not a single player on their squad is used to playing for anything but a title. They probably won't give a f(ck.....
"If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy." - Flemming Rose
Old 12-09-2019, 10:18 PM

Oh boy! Just got tix for ND's last regular season game in Orlando. ha. Feels like I can bank on this every other year living down here... I'm just curious if I chose legit seats... Last time I was in the South endzone with blistering wind hitting us in the face out of the north, a slight mist, and 33 degree temps. Here's to hoping it's an ordinary day this time. At least I'm in the North endzone so I can hide from the wind if necessary. Just not sure if there are concessions nearby...need beer. Also learned they have free WiFi to watch the Memphis Tigers whip that Penn State a$$... (I'm probably dreaming in that regard.)

Anyway, it may suck playing Iowa State, but always fun to see the Irish in person...even if it's a sh!tty little bowl... (Can't be any worse than the Mobile Bowl I went to once to watch Memphis. JFC it was bad.)
Old 12-09-2019, 11:58 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Man that UM loss killed us. As well as we've played since then, we've been stuck in the 15/16 range and haven't moved. I thought maybe we'd get more credit for that Navy game as they were something like 9-1 and in the top 25 when we pounded them.

Just not many prospects for ND that far out of the top 10.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:37 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
Who did ND beat this year??? They lost the 2 big name games they played and beat teams on a soft schedule.
Now if they were in a conference...ÖÖ.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:17 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo88 View Post
Yep....100% agree. Not a single player on their squad is used to playing for anything but a title. They probably won't give a f(ck.....
I could see this. But when has Michigan won any big game besides us? Also, when has Saban let Bama just play to mediocrity? Sure teams have beat them. But a team like Michigan is not one of those types of teams.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmike88 View Post
Who did ND beat this year??? They lost the 2 big name games they played and beat teams on a soft schedule.
Now if they were in a conference...…….
You're kidding right? I just grabbed a random Big Ten team...Nebraska:

South Alabama #WTF??
Colorado
Northern Illinois
Illinois
Ohio State #2
Northwestern
Minnesota #18
Indiana
Purdue
Wisconsin #8
Maryland
Iowa #16

Here's Notre Dame:

Louisville
New Mexico
Georgia #5
Virginia #24
Bowling Green
USC #22
Michigan #14
Virginia Tech
Duke
Navy #23
Boston College
Stanford

Our schedule is right on par with Nebraska's with five ranked opponents versus their four. AND, we didn't play an F'ing 1-AA team which should count as a loss.

Last edited by irishwavend; 12-10-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:35 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmike88 View Post
Now if they were in a conference...ÖÖ.
If they were in the ACC, it wouldnít have made a difference.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:36 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_domer View Post
Bowl loss to Iowa State will be a horrible cap to the season. The off-season will be more polarized and will make sun-shine pumpers job hard over the summer. If we win then the turd polishing of beating a 7-5 team will commence full bore!
If they win itís NBD, if they lose its Armageddon
Old 12-10-2019, 03:37 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
I could see this. But when has Michigan won any big game besides us? Also, when has Saban let Bama just play to mediocrity? Sure teams have beat them. But a team like Michigan is not one of those types of teams.
2014 Sugar Bowl vs Oklahoma... the last time Bama wasnít playing for a Title.