Notre Dame Football News And Talk  


Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 12-09-2019, 10:10 AM
hawaiiirish hawaiiirish is offline
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 11,044
Default

Clearly all the conference contracts cost us a new years bowl this year....there was a time only a few years ago that a 10/2 ND team would have had a couple of strong bowl options.....now we have to take whats available....

Actually this may be the very first post season where we are suffering a penalty for our non conference stature...over the last several years it threatened to be an issue but in the end was not,,,,this time we got bit


On the other hand have we ever played iowa state before? I don't think so.... it will be an interesting and I'm sure tough game.

11 and 2 would be a very successful season by most peoples meausrements
10 and 3 with a bowl loss to add to the fiasco in ann arbor would be less then no doubt..

aloha
__________________
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

  #27  
Old 12-09-2019, 12:51 PM
CelticImport's Avatar
CelticImport CelticImport is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chicagoland via NJ, UK and Aden (Yemen)
Posts: 1,445
Default

Cyclone fans are up for the game.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ELS7gOhXkAE96hM.jpg (6.2 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-09-2019, 01:36 PM
IrishWarrior81 IrishWarrior81 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 352
Default

All this talk about nothing to gain is pathetic. Whatever happened to just being competitive and wanting to win games? Is pride not a thing anymore?
__________________
And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine patris, et filii, et spiritus sancti.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-09-2019, 01:48 PM
IrishGuy's Avatar
IrishGuy IrishGuy is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 5,753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishWarrior81 View Post
All this talk about nothing to gain is pathetic. Whatever happened to just being competitive and wanting to win games? Is pride not a thing anymore?
Welcome to the Domer Domain Forums...


EDIT: I completely agree with you BTW
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-09-2019, 02:42 PM
coltssb coltssb is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,644
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticImport View Post
Cyclone fans are up for the game.
Only problem I see with this is Indiana is loaded with cornfields too. They can do better.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12-09-2019, 02:47 PM
coltssb coltssb is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,644
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishGuy View Post
Welcome to the Domer Domain Forums...


EDIT: I completely agree with you BTW
I think where ND is ranked playing the lowly ranked Iowa St team is a let down. When has ND played Iowa State? No rivalry or bragging rights? When has Nd had such a good season and being ranked 15 has ND ever played the 34th best team? One with 5 losses? I think I thatís what fans are feeling.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-09-2019, 02:48 PM
cali_domer's Avatar
cali_domer cali_domer is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,871
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiirish View Post
Clearly all the conference contracts cost us a new years bowl this year....there was a time only a few years ago that a 10/2 ND team would have had a couple of strong bowl options.....now we have to take whats available....

Actually this may be the very first post season where we are suffering a penalty for our non conference stature...over the last several years it threatened to be an issue but in the end was not,,,,this time we got bit


On the other hand have we ever played iowa state before? I don't think so.... it will be an interesting and I'm sure tough game.

11 and 2 would be a very successful season by most peoples meausrements
10 and 3 with a bowl loss to add to the fiasco in ann arbor would be less then no doubt..

aloha
Bowl loss to Iowa State will be a horrible cap to the season. The off-season will be more polarized and will make sun-shine pumpers job hard over the summer. If we win then the turd polishing of beating a 7-5 team will commence full bore!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-09-2019, 03:19 PM
dangeruss's Avatar
dangeruss dangeruss is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
I think where ND is ranked playing the lowly ranked Iowa St team is a let down. When has ND played Iowa State? No rivalry or bragging rights? When has Nd had such a good season and being ranked 15 has ND ever played the 34th best team? One with 5 losses? I think I thatís what fans are feeling.
I don't feel that way. isu is a good team they were nearly a 10-2 football team with very close losses to iowa, baylor and Oklahoma. lets cheer on the irish and hopefully they finish the season 11-2.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-09-2019, 05:02 PM
imroc's Avatar
imroc imroc is offline
Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CO
Posts: 2,551
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
Has nothing to do with that. Bowl games have contracts. The other slots were all filled before ND was eligible.
So, the firm hold at #14/15/16 in rankings well behind 3 loss auburns and 2 loss p5 teams with no real matchups was irrelevant?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-09-2019, 06:25 PM
echo88's Avatar
echo88 echo88 is offline
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 10,290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangeruss View Post
I don't feel that way. isu is a good team they were nearly a 10-2 football team with very close losses to iowa, baylor and Oklahoma. lets cheer on the irish and hopefully they finish the season 11-2.
Exactly. Their record doesn't reflect much at all. I think we'd lose to 2 if not 3 of those teams had we played them this year.

Im indifferent about a mid tier bowl game, but I could certainly see us losing to a team like ISU.
__________________
"If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy." - Flemming Rose
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-09-2019, 07:09 PM
goirish83's Avatar
goirish83 goirish83 is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 5,505
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
Has nothing to do with that. Bowl games have contracts. The other slots were all filled before ND was eligible.
If nd was ranked higher they couldve gotten into the orange or cotton bowl slots. But the slots were limited for the Irish this year. It's clear for the first time being independent really hurt us when it came to bowl selection.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-09-2019, 07:31 PM
jbrown_9999 jbrown_9999 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,413
Default ND only 3.5 point favorites

Hard to believe that a 10-2 Irish squad are only 3.5 favorites over a 7-5 Iowa State team on a neutral field.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-09-2019, 08:04 PM
ELDER06 ELDER06 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 4,945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
I guess it's better than getting smashed by Alabama by 30. Which Michigan is going to do...
Bama has quit, they might beat Michigan based purely on talent, but itís not going to be a blowout
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-09-2019, 09:58 PM
corysold's Avatar
corysold corysold is offline
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cortland, IL
Posts: 13,980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
Hard to believe that a 10-2 Irish squad are only 3.5 favorites over a 7-5 Iowa State team on a neutral field.
Iowa St is better than 7-5. No great wins, but all 5 losses were close to top 25 teams according to Massey. ND should win, but not all 7-5 teams are created equal.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-09-2019, 10:01 PM
dangeruss's Avatar
dangeruss dangeruss is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
Iowa St is better than 7-5. No great wins, but all 5 losses were close to top 25 teams according to Massey. ND should win, but not all 7-5 teams are created equal.
I also heard a stat that ISU is the only team in the country over the last 2 or 3 years that has not lost a game by more than 14 points. ISU has the ability to keep games close.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 12-09-2019, 10:01 PM
corysold's Avatar
corysold corysold is offline
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cortland, IL
Posts: 13,980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imroc View Post
So, the firm hold at #14/15/16 in rankings well behind 3 loss auburns and 2 loss p5 teams with no real matchups was irrelevant?
Correct. Unless you think ND should be ranked above Florida and Penn St., ND is the bowl they would have been in even if they were ranked #11.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-09-2019, 10:11 PM
echo88's Avatar
echo88 echo88 is offline
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 10,290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
Bama has quit, they might beat Michigan based purely on talent, but itís not going to be a blowout
Yep....100% agree. Not a single player on their squad is used to playing for anything but a title. They probably won't give a f(ck.....
__________________
"If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy." - Flemming Rose
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-09-2019, 10:18 PM
irishwavend's Avatar
irishwavend irishwavend is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Happiest Place on Earth, FL
Posts: 6,773
Default

Oh boy! Just got tix for ND's last regular season game in Orlando. ha. Feels like I can bank on this every other year living down here... I'm just curious if I chose legit seats... Last time I was in the South endzone with blistering wind hitting us in the face out of the north, a slight mist, and 33 degree temps. Here's to hoping it's an ordinary day this time. At least I'm in the North endzone so I can hide from the wind if necessary. Just not sure if there are concessions nearby...need beer. Also learned they have free WiFi to watch the Memphis Tigers whip that Penn State a$$... (I'm probably dreaming in that regard.)

Anyway, it may suck playing Iowa State, but always fun to see the Irish in person...even if it's a sh!tty little bowl... (Can't be any worse than the Mobile Bowl I went to once to watch Memphis. JFC it was bad.)
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12-09-2019, 11:58 PM
D Fence's Avatar
D Fence D Fence is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,087
Default

Man that UM loss killed us. As well as we've played since then, we've been stuck in the 15/16 range and haven't moved. I thought maybe we'd get more credit for that Navy game as they were something like 9-1 and in the top 25 when we pounded them.

Just not many prospects for ND that far out of the top 10.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 12-10-2019, 11:37 AM
ndmike88's Avatar
ndmike88 ndmike88 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lake Winnipesaukee
Posts: 1,764
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
Hard to believe that a 10-2 Irish squad are only 3.5 favorites over a 7-5 Iowa State team on a neutral field.
Who did ND beat this year??? They lost the 2 big name games they played and beat teams on a soft schedule.
Now if they were in a conference...ÖÖ.
__________________
Offense wins games. Defense wins championships.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 12-10-2019, 01:17 PM
coltssb coltssb is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,644
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo88 View Post
Yep....100% agree. Not a single player on their squad is used to playing for anything but a title. They probably won't give a f(ck.....
I could see this. But when has Michigan won any big game besides us? Also, when has Saban let Bama just play to mediocrity? Sure teams have beat them. But a team like Michigan is not one of those types of teams.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 12-10-2019, 03:29 PM
irishwavend's Avatar
irishwavend irishwavend is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Happiest Place on Earth, FL
Posts: 6,773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmike88 View Post
Who did ND beat this year??? They lost the 2 big name games they played and beat teams on a soft schedule.
Now if they were in a conference...…….
You're kidding right? I just grabbed a random Big Ten team...Nebraska:

South Alabama #WTF??
Colorado
Northern Illinois
Illinois
Ohio State #2
Northwestern
Minnesota #18
Indiana
Purdue
Wisconsin #8
Maryland
Iowa #16

Here's Notre Dame:

Louisville
New Mexico
Georgia #5
Virginia #24
Bowling Green
USC #22
Michigan #14
Virginia Tech
Duke
Navy #23
Boston College
Stanford

Our schedule is right on par with Nebraska's with five ranked opponents versus their four. AND, we didn't play an F'ing 1-AA team which should count as a loss.

Last edited by irishwavend; 12-10-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 12-10-2019, 03:35 PM
ELDER06 ELDER06 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 4,945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmike88 View Post
Who did ND beat this year??? They lost the 2 big name games they played and beat teams on a soft schedule.
Now if they were in a conference...ÖÖ.
If they were in the ACC, it wouldnít have made a difference.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 12-10-2019, 03:36 PM
ELDER06 ELDER06 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 4,945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_domer View Post
Bowl loss to Iowa State will be a horrible cap to the season. The off-season will be more polarized and will make sun-shine pumpers job hard over the summer. If we win then the turd polishing of beating a 7-5 team will commence full bore!
If they win itís NBD, if they lose its Armageddon
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 12-10-2019, 03:37 PM
ELDER06 ELDER06 is offline
Member
Domer Domain Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 4,945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
I could see this. But when has Michigan won any big game besides us? Also, when has Saban let Bama just play to mediocrity? Sure teams have beat them. But a team like Michigan is not one of those types of teams.
2014 Sugar Bowl vs Oklahoma... the last time Bama wasnít playing for a Title.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Also visit IrishEnvy, our Notre Dame Football partner site

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:53 AM.

Last Updated: September 24, 2020

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.