Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2019, 04:52 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

http://https://www.barstoolsports.co...lddot-com-bowl

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 12-10-2019, 05:08 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwavend View Post
You're kidding right? I just grabbed a random Big Ten team...Nebraska:

South Alabama #WTF??
Colorado
Northern Illinois
Illinois
Ohio State #2
Northwestern
Minnesota #18
Indiana
Purdue
Wisconsin #8
Maryland
Iowa #16

Here's Notre Dame:

Louisville
New Mexico
Georgia #5
Virginia #24
Bowling Green
USC #22
Michigan #14
Virginia Tech
Duke
Navy #23
Boston College
Stanford

Our schedule is right on par with Nebraska's with five ranked opponents versus their four. AND, we didn't play an F'ing 1-AA team which should count as a loss.
What if you pick another “random” P5 conference team that actually has championship aspirations: Michigan 3 top 10 games 5 top 20 games.

NDs schedule this year was average, 38th per Sagarin and plenty of the teams above them played harder schedules. ND played 2 top 20 teams this year and lost to both. The Michigan loss wouldn’t have hurt ND’s ranking as bad as it did this year had USC/Vatech/Virginia actually been good, or if Stanford would have been up to their recent standards.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:20 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
If they win itís NBD, if they lose its Armageddon
Ehh I dunno about Armageddon. We've lost to much, much worse under BK.

It's more like lose and we still notched double digit wins. Win and we really don't know any more about this team than before....
"If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And that is incompatible with a secular democracy." - Flemming Rose
Old 12-10-2019, 05:24 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardo View Post
What if you pick another ďrandomĒ P5 conference team that actually has championship aspirations: Michigan 3 top 10 games 5 top 20 games.

NDs schedule this year was average, 38th per Sagarin and plenty of the teams above them played harder schedules. ND played 2 top 20 teams this year and lost to both. The Michigan loss wouldnít have hurt NDís ranking as bad as it did this year had USC/Vatech/Virginia actually been good, or if Stanford would have been up to their recent standards.
Every team in a P5 conference has championship aspirations and the conference schedule will be just as random. Conferences don't build schedules to give certain teams a better shot at the playoff. The schedule is what it is, so it doesn't matter who I choose. Some will be difficult, some will be easy, and some will be average. It's just how it all shakes out. But, one thing that is common is that all of these jacka$$es play 1-AA teams that should count as losses...that's not a real game.

Sagarin's rating for ND was 38th and you call that average? There are 130 teams. That's Top Third of all of college football. I'd put that on the difficult side, though lower difficult.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:35 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyO View Post
Barstool is for idiots. I like that they needle the SJW crowd, but they’re not good for real sports fans. I hold them
and Fantasy Football liable for the dumbing down of football fans across America.

Last edited by ELDER06; 12-10-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Barstool is for idiots. I like that they needle the SJW crowd, but theyíre not good for real sports fans. I hold them
and Fantasy Football liable for the dumbing down of football fans across America.
Well, maybe they're needling Notre Dame since the impression out there is that we are SJW's... I actually got that question this weekend. How are you conservative and went to ND? I was like, dude, you wouldn't know it based on the university's latest actions, but the majority of ND is conservative.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:19 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
2014 Sugar Bowl vs Oklahoma... the last time Bama wasnít playing for a Title.
That was also the last time they lost back to back games I believe. And the time before that was in 2008. So maybe that is the cycle of every 6 years.

That was also when Stoops was ripping the SEC. So his team backed up his talk. Trevor Knight also had a ridiculous game against Alabama. I donít see Patterson doing that. But who knows...
Old 12-10-2019, 06:56 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Well, maybe they're needling Notre Dame since the impression out there is that we are SJW's... I actually got that question this weekend. How are you conservative and went to ND? I was like, dude, you wouldn't know it based on the university's latest actions, but the majority of ND is conservative.
On what earth do people think ND is an SJW school? Either way, Barstool isnít for real sports fans. Itís just a more centrists version of deadspin. I listened to 5 minutes of their flagship podcast and it was the most uninformed 5 minutes of sports Iíve heard.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
If they were in the ACC, it wouldnít have made a difference.
Unless you added Clemson in a conference championship game, then it would. Yes nds schedule this year was no better or worse then Nebraskas, bot sure that's a pro conference argument or not. At least with a weak schedule in a conference you potentially get one more big time game in a conference championship. For nd and this playoff or bust mentality as soon as that second loss take place (and probably after the first) and the playoff aspirations are dead what's the point of tuning in? To see if we can win 10 games and reach the camping world bowl?
Old 12-10-2019, 06:58 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
That was also the last time they lost back to back games I believe. And the time before that was in 2008. So maybe that is the cycle of every 6 years.

That was also when Stoops was ripping the SEC. So his team backed up his talk. Trevor Knight also had a ridiculous game against Alabama. I donít see Patterson doing that. But who knows...
If Bama shows up at all, they win. However, I have a feeling theyíre just done with this year. I canít imagine their top players like Jeudy, Smith, Waddel, McKinney even play. Plus, Harbaugh is going to go all in, itís his chance to notch a win over Saban and at least par his resume a bit.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
On what earth do people think ND is an SJW school? Either way, Barstool isnít for real sports fans. Itís just a more centrists version of deadspin. I listened to 5 minutes of their flagship podcast and it was the most uninformed 5 minutes of sports Iíve heard.
Ha! Sorry you had to waste those 5 minutes, but the rest of us thank you for falling on that sword for the rest of us. Haha. The removal of Christopher Columbus mural, the commercial with the Communist Manifesto, covering up religious imagery when Obama spoke at ND, northeastern Catholics in general, like Kennedy, Biden, Kerry... I think that all leads to the conclusion. But, if you've ever been on campus, you know better.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:13 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

Quote:
Every team in a P5 conference has championship aspirations and the conference schedule will be just as random. Conferences don't build schedules to give certain teams a better shot at the playoff. The schedule is what it is, so it doesn't matter who I choose. Some will be difficult, some will be easy, and some will be average. It's just how it all shakes out. But, one thing that is common is that all of these jacka$$es play 1-AA teams that should count as losses...that's not a real game.

Sagarin's rating for ND was 38th and you call that average? There are 130 teams. That's Top Third of all of college football. I'd put that on the difficult side, though lower difficult.
If you believe the ADs, coaches or fanbases of most P5 schools truly think they are competing for NCs, I'm not sure what to tell you. My friends who are Iowa alumni are VERY happy with their 9-3 season, and that's with a QB they all thought was an NFL player.

I'm not blaming the schools for their conference schedules, but it obviously matters. The Big 10 East stinks and there has been recent seasons where Big 10 East team don't get respect in the polls if they luck out and don't have to play Michigan/OSU.

And yes 38th is average because ND isn't competing against MAC, AAC or lower conferences. Those conferences will obviously have worse SOS because they play 8 non P5 games at the very least. Out of the 14 teams ahead of ND in the playoff ranking only 4 have a weaker SOS per Sagarin. The teams directly behind ND, outside of Iowa all have weaker SOS than ND.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:33 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Ha! Sorry you had to waste those 5 minutes, but the rest of us thank you for falling on that sword for the rest of us. Haha. The removal of Christopher Columbus mural, the commercial with the Communist Manifesto, covering up religious imagery when Obama spoke at ND, northeastern Catholics in general, like Kennedy, Biden, Kerry... I think that all leads to the conclusion. But, if you've ever been on campus, you know better.
I went to a small midwestern Catholic University. Granted, that was 10 yrs ago, but I have a hard time imagining the typical student from that type of university is really much difft today. Itís not a giant state university. And the ND commercial with the Communist Manifesto, is about learning what you disagree with. Basically knowing your enemy, itís not an advert to learn about Communism.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:35 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

And Barstool really does suck. Not for the reason SJWs hate them, theyíre just not very knowledgeable about sports. I guess thatís the cache is that theyíre just a bunch of avg joes talking about sports, but the avg joe doesnít know dick about the nuances of sports.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:16 PM

Not a very good matchup for us and certainly not a juicy bowl game. Oh well. Had we lost to Michigan by 3 would it be a different bowl opponent? I worry that we will not be up and ready for the game. The Cyclones will be.

Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do!
Old 12-10-2019, 10:22 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDomer View Post
Not a very good matchup for us and certainly not a juicy bowl game. Oh well. Had we lost to Michigan by 3 would it be a different bowl opponent? I worry that we will not be up and ready for the game. The Cyclones will be.
The fans are one thing, but the players don't have much excuse for not being hyped.

While many of us were hoping for a match-up w/an opponent with a better brand name and/or record, this game will be the last chance for a lot of these guys to take the field together and leave the final case for their legacies as an Irish player.

They might need to be reminded of such things leading up to the game, but I think the team should be ready to roll.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:11 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

This game scares the s*it out of me! I'm an ND fan stuck in Iowa and I will guarantee you that the Cyclones come to play. They get way up for Iowa every year and make what should be a blowout, a nail biter at the end. They are chomping at the bit and will come in expecting the beat us. Campbell is a great coach and great motivator. In state I cheer for the Hawks but work with a couple hateful ISU fans. I just hope we take this serious and come to play.
We will be outcoached and most likely outhustled, I just hope we dont get outplayed. This game will be closer than it should be and could be a loss if we dont handle business.

FUSC
Old 12-11-2019, 12:12 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDomer View Post
Not a very good matchup for us and certainly not a juicy bowl game. Oh well. Had we lost to Michigan by 3 would it be a different bowl opponent?
Had ND lost to Michigan by 3 on the road, they would have had a shot at being ranked in Top 10 which should have given them a better bowl.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:22 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
I graduated in '09, I don't think ND covered up any religious imagery. The commencement was in the JACC, so I don't even know what religious imagery would be present to cover up?
Old 12-11-2019, 11:23 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
You're kidding right? I just grabbed a random Big Ten team...Nebraska:

South Alabama #WTF??
Colorado
Northern Illinois
Illinois
Ohio State #2
Northwestern
Minnesota #18
Indiana
Purdue
Wisconsin #8
Maryland
Iowa #16

Here's Notre Dame:

Louisville
New Mexico
Georgia #5
Virginia #24
Bowling Green
USC #22
Michigan #14
Virginia Tech
Duke
Navy #23
Boston College
Stanford

Our schedule is right on par with Nebraska's with five ranked opponents versus their four. AND, we didn't play an F'ing 1-AA team which should count as a loss.
Thanks for proving my point. Beating teams ranked #22-24 hardly proves anything..yet ND lost to a team ranked #5 & got trashed by #14.
ND is in the bowl they deserve because they didn't show they can beat a highly ranked team. Again Kelly posted a record of 10-2 which is commendable but if you look at the teams the Irish beat it doesn't look that impressive.
Beating teams like New Mexico, Duke, Bowling Green & Boston College do not win you many style points.

Last edited by ndmike88; 12-11-2019 at 11:31 AM.