Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Recruiting Board

Old 06-30-2020, 06:43 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Default Elite 11 Finals

The Elite 11 (premier national recruiting even for HS QBs - invite only) started last night. Tyler Buchner is competing. It sounds like he did not have the best day yesterday - he did not make any Top Performers Lists from any site that I saw (Rivals and 247).

https://n.rivals.com/news/woody-s-wo...-1-of-elite-11

https://247sports.com/college/footba...ter-148678242/

Hopefully, it was just rust and/or nerves. There are two more days, so hopefully he puts it together and shows that he is a Top 5 QB. He is currently a 247 Composite 5-star.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 06-30-2020, 07:27 PM
Domer Domain Junior

From the first article:

Quote:
One guy I was surprised to see struggle was Notre Dame commit Tyler Buchner. He seemed to be throwing with a bit of a side arm delivery, something I don't remember from the last time I saw him back in February.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:46 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
From the first article:
Currently ranked 2nd by the Elite 11 rankings
Old 07-01-2020, 03:13 AM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by golson5 View Post
Currently ranked 2nd by the Elite 11 rankings
For the first time in a long time I think ND has a great QB prospect and can make all sorts of throws. Any camps this year will be slightly weird with kids knocking rust off or whatever. Nothing is fluid and consistent as far as camps. 7v7, and all that.

This, this is nice

Old 07-01-2020, 03:16 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Another up-and-down day for Buchner. It sounds like he was not great early on during his workout, but then really improved and made some incredible throws (see Big's post above). He is currently ranked #8 overall. Today is the final day.

Old 07-02-2020, 01:36 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Buchner is named to the 2020 Elite 11. Others are Caleb Williams (Oklahoma - MVP), Kyron Drones (Baylor), Tyler Macon (Mizzou), Drake Maye (UNC), JJ McCarthy (Michigan), Kyle McCord (OSU), Miller Moss (USC), Garrett Nussmeier (LSU), Kaidon Slater (Tennessee), Ty Thompson (Oregon), and Brock Vandergriff (UGA).

Luckily for Buchner, the Elite 11 was based 50% off film and 50% off camp performance. By all accounts, Bucnher really struggled at this event. It sounds like he changed personal QB coaches, and his new coach tinkered with his throwing motion which did not look good at the event - multiple analysts commented on it. It'll be interesting to see if he stays a 5-star or if he drops in the rankings. It may sound dramatic to have him drop based on one event, but he really did not perform well and he did not make any top performers lists that I saw (247, Rivals, si.com).

Old 07-02-2020, 03:17 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Well, this sucks. He was our one true top talent recruit that had the chance of convincing others to come to ND. He drops so does any chance at ND getting any other top guys. At least, that's what has been proven so far this year..
Old 07-02-2020, 04:36 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
Well, this sucks. He was our one true top talent recruit that had the chance of convincing others to come to ND. He drops so does any chance at ND getting any other top guys. At least, that's what has been proven so far this year..
Don't worry, all it takes is a couple of years as a starter for a BK quarterback to really improve...
Old 07-02-2020, 06:11 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
I think you’re reading too much into this. Just being one of the Elite 11 is huge, I very much doubt a potential recruit will look at his subpar performance in a 3 Day Camp and decide not to sign with ND.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:40 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

I'm not that worried about any potential effect this would have on recruiting. Recruits mostly do their own thing and make their own decisions. Buchner's presence in the class as a 5-star QB (as the first commit, no less) was not helping ND land 5-star and high 4-star WRs. So, I don't think his poor performance will have a negative impact either.

That said, I don't think I'm overstating what the Elite 11 could do to his ranking - multiple recruiting analysts were completely shocked at his performance this week, all noticing that his throwing motion had dramatically changed since his last camp (Rivals 5-star challenge where he earned his invite to the Elite 11). I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that he will lose his 5th star - in fact, I would be surprised if he keeps it.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:05 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
I'm not that worried about any potential effect this would have on recruiting. Recruits mostly do their own thing and make their own decisions. Buchner's presence in the class as a 5-star QB (as the first commit, no less) was not helping ND land 5-star and high 4-star WRs. So, I don't think his poor performance will have a negative impact either.

That said, I don't think I'm overstating what the Elite 11 could do to his ranking - multiple recruiting analysts were completely shocked at his performance this week, all noticing that his throwing motion had dramatically changed since his last camp (Rivals 5-star challenge where he earned his invite to the Elite 11). I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that he will lose his 5th star - in fact, I would be surprised if he keeps it.
Well I'm sure Kelly and Co will have that motion smooth as silk after he arrives....
Old 07-04-2020, 03:18 AM
Domer Domain All American

Was there anything wrong with his throwing motion before? Tinkering with a guys motion is just counterproductive once they’re comfortable with it.

Big Ben and Phillip Rivers are doing just fine with unconventional throwing motions.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:49 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
Was there anything wrong with his throwing motion before? Tinkering with a guys motion is just counterproductive once they’re comfortable with it.

Big Ben and Phillip Rivers are doing just fine with unconventional throwing motions.
I agree. Isn't one of the main reasons these kids are being recruited at QB because they are successful? Therefore their passing ability amongst other qualities is a known quality, and they're good at it. Everyone's biomechanics is different why fix something that seems to be working...
Old 07-05-2020, 10:41 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoore97 View Post
I agree. Isn't one of the main reasons these kids are being recruited at QB because they are successful? Therefore their passing ability amongst other qualities is a known quality, and they're good at it. Everyone's biomechanics is different why fix something that seems to be working...
Because sometimes their poor mechanics won't translate to higher level play, lots of kids can get away with their raw ability in high school. Either way he's an exciting talent to have coming in.