Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 12-19-2015, 07:41 PM
Domer Domain All American

Default Davonte Neal

I'm watching the Las Vegas Bowl and notice he's playing corner... interesting. I had high hopes for him here, I haven't watched much of Arizona so I have no clue how he's been doing there.

Also Bob Davie doing a pretty good job at New Mexico. I was brought into ND football right after he was done coaching here, how did the Davie years compare to Weis and Wllingham?

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 12-19-2015, 08:13 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
I'm watching the Las Vegas Bowl and notice he's playing corner... interesting. I had high hopes for him here, I haven't watched much of Arizona so I have no clue how he's been doing there.

Also Bob Davie doing a pretty good job at New Mexico. I was brought into ND football right after he was done coaching here, how did the Davie years compare to Weis and Wllingham?
Davie had the unfortunate task of replacing Lou. Davie at least had a clue. IMHO Willingham had no clue. Charlie at least lknew how to recruit talent for the offense.
I'm still mixed as to who was the worse hire, Faust or Willingham.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:37 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Devonte just got smoked for a 92 yard TD
Old 12-19-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Gruene View Post
Davie had the unfortunate task of replacing Lou. Davie at least had a clue. IMHO Willingham had no clue. Charlie at least lknew how to recruit talent for the offense.
Faust. How the fck could you hire a high school head coach to takeover one of the most prominent programs in CF? I don't care if he was a priest, Hesburgh was a fckin moron. Plus, Faust was a huge pvssy, he used to break out in tears when talking about ND and the Catholic tradition. Hell, Faust was a better recruiter at Moeller than Notre Dame.

Last edited by ELDER06; 12-19-2015 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Willingham hands down.

Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do!
Old 12-19-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDER06 View Post
Faust. How the fck could you hire a high school head coach to takeover one of the most prominent programs in CF? Whomever was ND's AD was a complete idiot.
Wasn't Art Briles a high school head coach before Baylor? Not saying it was a smart move but you never know how it could turn out which obviously wasn't so good unfortunately.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:59 PM
Banned
Domer Domain Junior

Worst...not even close...

1959–62 Joe Kuharich 17–23–0 .425

Unfortunately my father had to play under this fool...
Old 12-19-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Wasn't Art Briles a high school head coach before Baylor? Not saying it was a smart move but you never know how it could turn out which obviously wasn't so good unfortunately.
He was hired to Leach's staff at Texas Tech, then went on to Houston, then Baylor. I wasn't alive during the early 80s, but I have a hard time believing ND alumni were happy with this, I actually get fired up over the stupidity 30+ years later.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer Dude View Post
Worst...not even close...

195962 Joe Kuharich 17230 .425

Unfortunately my father had to play under this fool...
That's still cool.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:

That's interesting...cuz he's not in the LV Bowl haha. �� I knew he was playing corner, no idea how he is fairing at corner tho.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:04 PM

good game as new mexico closes to single digits after recovering a onside kick. Neal made a key tackle on the conversion to AU + 5.

Davie was better than Willingham to me. Weis and Davie were to close to call. I favor Davie slightly.

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011

Last edited by FaithInIrishForever; 12-19-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasIrish View Post
That's interesting...cuz he's not in the LV Bowl haha. �� I knew he was playing corner, no idea how he is fairing at corner tho.
My bad I'm watching both had a brainfart there lol. The New Mexico game is good though and Neal isn't too busy cause New Mexico runs the option all game. He's not a good tackler though and got beat deep so the move doesn't look too good for him.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:13 PM

Quote:
My bad I'm watching both had a brainfart there lol. The New Mexico game is good though and Neal isn't too busy cause New Mexico runs the option all game. He's not a good tackler though and got beat deep so the move doesn't look too good for him.
I wonder how he's performed the whole season.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:29 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Faust. How the fck could you hire a high school head coach to takeover one of the most prominent programs in CF? I don't care if he was a priest, Hesburgh was a fckin moron. Plus, Faust was a huge pvssy, he used to break out in tears when talking about ND and the Catholic tradition. Hell, Faust was a better recruiter at Moeller than Notre Dame.
You need to apologize to this entire board for what you posted about Father Hesburgh. That kind of talk will not be tolerated on this board by know-nothings like you who have no clue as to who Father Hesburgh was and what he did and what he meant to Our Lady's University.
Go find another team to root for and take you poison pen and foul mouth with you!
Old 12-19-2015, 11:57 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Briles was once a High School coach, but immediately before getting the Baylor gig, he had been head coach at Houston for 5 years.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:59 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithInIrishForever View Post
good game as new mexico closes to single digits after recovering a onside kick. Neal made a key tackle on the conversion to AU + 5.

Davie was better than Willingham to me. Weis and Davie were to close to call. I favor Davie slightly.
Davie never lost to Navy. Weis lost to them, then emptied the cupboard so that Kelly lost to them.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:07 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Irish View Post
You need to apologize to this entire board for what you posted about Father Hesburgh. That kind of talk will not be tolerated on this board by know-nothings like you who have no clue as to who Father Hesburgh was and what he did and what he meant to Our Lady's University.
Go find another team to root for and take you poison pen and foul mouth with you!
Exactly. That was perhaps the most thoughtless post I have ever read on this forum.
The Indiana General Assembly granted the school its charter on January 15, 1844 under the name University of Notre Dame du Lac. While the translation of the French is "Our Lady of the Lake," the university actually has two lakes on its campus.

Old 12-20-2015, 02:19 AM

Quote:
I won't apologize. My understanding is the AD didn't want Faust, but bc Faust was such a devout Catholic, Hesburgh overruled him. Hesburgh put his faith over football. Selecting a football coach is a secular decision, and he failed miserably in hiring Faust. No rational person would have made that hire.

Last edited by ELDER06; 12-20-2015 at 02:30 AM.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lakes View Post
Exactly. That was perhaps the most thoughtless post I have ever read on this forum.
More thoughtless than hiring a coach who had zero experience outside the hs level?

Last edited by ELDER06; 12-20-2015 at 02:33 AM.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:05 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
I won't apologize. My understanding is the AD didn't want Faust, but bc Faust was such a devout Catholic, Hesburgh overruled him. Hesburgh put his faith over football. Selecting a football coach is a secular decision, and he failed miserably in hiring Faust. No rational person would have made that hire.
The mods need to kick you off this board.
Apologize or be banned.
You know nothing about Father Hesburgh's stature as a priest, educator and statesman. Your comments are crass and classless, you buffoon.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:34 AM
Domer Domain Freshman

I was there for Faust. Fr. Hesburgh was involved in pushing for Faust in part because he wanted to deemphasize football at Notre Dame. I think he realized this was a mistake as he brought in Holtz. Without approving of the language used by ELDER, I do not think it is inappropriate to question Fr. Hesburgh's decision in this regard. Faust was outmatched for the position.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_nd88 View Post
I was there for Faust. Fr. Hesburgh was involved in pushing for Faust in part because he wanted to deemphasize football at Notre Dame. I think he realized this was a mistake as he brought in Holtz. Without approving of the language used by ELDER, I do not think it is inappropriate to question Fr. Hesburgh's decision in this regard. Faust was outmatched for the position.
I'm not saying he wasn't a good man, but it was beyond idiotic for him to push for Faust.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:49 AM
Domer Domain Junior

I was at ND for Faust's first two years. He worked hard and loved ND and all that ND stands for. He was just not prepared for the job. It was a poor decision by the powers-that-be at ND, but at least he tried. Willingham, on the other hand, never seemed to 'get' ND, and he never seemed to work very hard. Maybe better prepared as a coach, but he never seemed to really want to be ND.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:50 AM

Quote:
The mods need to kick you off this board.
Apologize or be banned.
You know nothing about Father Hesburgh's stature as a priest, educator and statesman. Your comments are crass and classless, you buffoon.
I'm not commenting on any of those things, but from a football perspective he failed on the Faust hire. He clearly didn't do much research on Faust, otherwise he'd had known Faust built the Moeller dynasty on shady recruiting practices. He might have been a "good Catholic", but he wasn't exactly a saint.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:57 AM

Quote:
I was at ND for Faust's first two years. He worked hard and loved ND and all that ND stands for. He was just not prepared for the job. It was a poor decision by the powers-that-be at ND, but at least he tried. Willingham, on the other hand, never seemed to 'get' ND, and he never seemed to work very hard. Maybe better prepared as a coach, but he never seemed to really want to be ND.
You can justify the Wilingham hire, there's no earthly justification for the Faust hire. Imagine if they hired Holtz at that point in time? ND probably wins at least 1 title, if not more.