Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2016, 05:52 PM
Domer Domain All American

Default Disappointed

What makes what the 2012 team did so special is they clung together, had the undefeated regular season were not looking for a way out.

I can't lie. I'm disappointed in the class 4 years later. Yes I'm proud that they'll put alot in the NFL and 1 in DC. That distinguishes our guys from the rest.

But the stars of 2012 were willing to wait for their classmates and enjoy a "Glory Year" together.

I'm sorry I probably should not post this but all these departures just disappoint me because it is a team sport and I wish they would come as a team and leave as a team. Not Realistic at all I know.

Sorry For the rant. Proud of the individuals. Disapointed for the team.

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 02-16-2016, 05:59 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithInIrishForever View Post
What makes what the 2012 team did so special is they clung together, had the undefeated regular season were not looking for a way out.

I can't lie. I'm disappointed in the class 4 years later. Yes I'm proud that they'll put alot in the NFL and 1 in DC. That distinguishes our guys from the rest.

But the stars of 2012 were willing to wait for their classmates and enjoy a "Glory Year" together.

I'm sorry I probably should not post this but all these departures just disappoint me because it is a team sport and I wish they would come as a team and leave as a team. Not Realistic at all I know.

Sorry For the rant. Proud of the individuals. Disapointed for the team.
I get what you are saying but for Elmer it sounds like a real 40 year decision. Why stay in football and take the chance of having your brain knocked loose when you have a real in in politics.

Still, it feels like the old guard mentality of playing out your entire eligibility has gone, might be the newer NCAA culture of transferring to play somewhere else after your last year, or the whole process of deciding who gets invited back for a fifth year, etc... I don't know, just seems to be the way it is.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieAngel View Post
I get what you are saying but for Elmer it sounds like a real 40 year decision. Why stay in football and take the chance of having your brain knocked loose when you have a real in in politics.

Still, it feels like the old guard mentality of playing out your entire eligibility has gone, might be the newer NCAA culture of transferring to play somewhere else after your last year, or the whole process of deciding who gets invited back for a fifth year, etc... I don't know, just seems to be the way it is.
Your right. Its a new normal. But its one that's going to make it harder for ND to succeed on the field at least short term. Its going to make when our teams succeed even more special.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:42 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

It happens all the time regardless of the sport dating back a long ways. Players come and go for a myriad of reasons. Remember we've had players who've stayed too, when they easily could have left and went onto biggger venues. Guys who graduate in four years or less owe nothing to the program to remain around, starter or not. They fulfilled their "obligation" of being a student athlete and got their education. Sometimes you have to be a little selfish when opportunity comes calling, Lord knows the coaches do it all the time. If all your ducks are in a row, then go for it.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoore97 View Post
It happens all the time regardless of the sport dating back a long ways. Players come and go for a myriad of reasons. Remember we've had players who've stayed too, when they easily could have left and went onto biggger venues. Guys who graduate in four years or less owe nothing to the program to remain around, starter or not. They fulfilled their "obligation" of being a student athlete and got their education. Sometimes you have to be a little selfish when opportunity comes calling, Lord knows the coaches do it all the time. If all your ducks are in a row, then go for it.
You don't usually lose 11 at once though.

I usually don't feel this way but a 9 win season losing to USC, Stanford, MSU would be a good coaching job right now. More than that I will praise Kelly like he won a Championship. We have the 2nd least returning starters to anyone in the country right now.(Kansas)

Maybe I'm wrong, I can't shake it.

I'm hoping the spring game helps me feel better

Old 02-17-2016, 12:37 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:

I usually don't feel this way but a 9 win season losing to USC, Stanford, MSU would be a good coaching job right now. More than that I will praise Kelly like he won a Championship. We have the 2nd least returning starters to anyone in the country right now.(Kansas)

You usually lose a bunch of players every year to graduation, transfer, leaving early, etc. Losing a bunch of starters stinks for sure, but those are the breaks in college football. Next year will be tough, and frankly I'm expecting at least 4 loses which is par for Kelly. We appear to be building for another run in 2017.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoore97 View Post
You usually lose a bunch of players every year to graduation, transfer, leaving early, etc. Losing a bunch of starters stinks for sure, but those are the breaks in college football. Next year will be tough, and frankly I'm expecting at least 4 loses which is par for Kelly. We appear to be building for another run in 2017.
of course, what bothers me more then anything are the Juniors. Its life though.

Heck College Basketball players used to be able to jump to the pros now the best are one and done.

Its life, I'll hafta get over it. nothing I can do about it.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:58 AM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

It is realistic to expect commitment and it is not foolish to put the team or God or country or family ahead of immediate gratification or money or fame.

Actually, it's what Notre Dame is about.
The Indiana General Assembly granted the school its charter on January 15, 1844 under the name University of Notre Dame du Lac. While the translation of the French is "Our Lady of the Lake," the university actually has two lakes on its campus.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lakes View Post
It is realistic to expect commitment and it is not foolish to put the team or God or country or family ahead of immediate gratification or money or fame.

Thanks. needed that. well said as always

Old 02-17-2016, 03:13 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

We r ND!!!

Good for him!

Go Irish!!!
Old 02-17-2016, 03:23 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Default Players

Don`t forget the players that had to leave early because of so many injuries, they couldn't play the game any more. Injuries that will effect the rest of their lives.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:18 AM

Quote:

Part of that is good and part of that is bad. ND is putting multiple juniors in the NFL. OSU is doing the same, and that's seen as a positive...put kids in the NFL like ND did this year on a consistent basis and it's great for recruiting.

Clemson reached the title game last year with the same number of returning starters, and Alabama reached with 1 more returning starter.

Other thing I would mention is I see it more as 12 starters than 9 that was mentioned. QB, RB (Folston/Adams), Hunter (essentially a starter and definitely experienced), TE (Smythe/Jones/Weishar), LG, and RT on offense.
On defense, DE, DT (Jones, Cage, Tillery), SAM, CB (Luke), FS, and Nickel (Crawford, pushing it obviously).

These guys were all starters, essentially starters, or labeled starters in camp last season. It's not as bad as it looks imo.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:24 AM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lakes View Post

Then ND is not about the real world. There's no loyalty from employers so why shouldn't employees use their opportunities as a leverage point for the next best thing? No one is looking out for you except for you.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:50 AM

Ok everybody:

2lakes made me feel better.(Thanks man)

There are obviously plenty of points of both sides

and Las Vegas with a fair point in the middle

Thanks for the discussion,

You all know we wish the kids the best in all endeavors.

Looking forward to Spring Ball where a visual guy like me can put the pieces together in my head.

Uncertainty is something that can bother me if I let it.

As usual my answer to all my uncertainty is to have FAITH

Heck my screen name is an intentional reminder to myself.

Thanks for understanding,

Brian

Last edited by FaithInIrishForever; 02-17-2016 at 06:41 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:40 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Thank you , Faith! Away a pleasure sir

Irish Saying