Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Recruiting Board

Old 06-20-2020, 08:57 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

I would not mind missing on Edwards. I just donít see it.

Would much rather have a different 3-star from GA - Jaden Slocum.

*3-star with offers from Alabama, Georgia, Florida, etc...

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 06-22-2020, 08:38 PM
Domer Domain All American

As of today I would not expect him at ND but that could change quickly down the road

Old 06-24-2020, 11:28 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Prince Kollie includes ND in his Top 5, along with Georgia, LSU, Louisville, and Oklahoma. ND's best (only) chance for really good LB this cycle.

Last edited by tneun89; 06-24-2020 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-25-2020, 01:44 AM
Domer Domain Junior

[quote=tneun89;734573]Prince Kollie includes ND in his Top 5, along with Georgia, LSU, Louisville, and Oklahoma. ND's best (only) chance for really good LB this cycle.

Is the reason that ND seems to only have one strong recruit left as a possibility at multiple positions? (OL, RB, and LB) reflect a strategy of focusing on a chosen few to try to convince them that they are 'special'?
Old 06-25-2020, 05:20 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

[quote=jbrown_9999;734574]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
Is the reason that ND seems to only have one strong recruit left as a possibility at multiple positions? (OL, RB, and LB) reflect a strategy of focusing on a chosen few to try to convince them that they are 'special'?
That feels very Charlie Weis.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:43 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

[quote=jbrown_9999;734574]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
Prince Kollie includes ND in his Top 5, along with Georgia, LSU, Louisville, and Oklahoma. ND's best (only) chance for really good LB this cycle.

As you know, I am usually a BK-defender/glass half full type of ND fan, but ND's recruiting strategy this cycle has been completely baffling at times.

I understood BK/Lance Taylor's strategy to go hard after Will Shipley and make it clear that he was the #1 priority, but not having consistent dialogue with other RBs for months is killing them right now. I don't know that ND would have landed Donovan Edwards if they got on him sooner, but I do think he wouldn't be the complete long-shot that he is now. ND is really only in it for a couple of 3-stars, which is not acceptable. They needed to build on getting Chris Tyree last year with another solid 4-star this year. The RB room is a disaster, and ND needs to land an elite-level back year-after-year to compete with OSU, Clemson, Alabama, etc. Barring a miracle, that won't happen this year.

OL recruiting has to be the biggest letdown of the 2021 cycle right now, but there is a huge asterisk - if ND lands Spindler, I think it's a solid B+/A- class. Fisher and Spindler are two Top 50-ish talents, and Coogan is a 3-star with offers from Ohio State, LSU, and Oklahoma. Add Joe Alt and I have no real issues with the OL class. But there were too many elite guys who were ND fits this cycle: Nolan Rucci, Landon Tengwall, Wyatt Milum, Garrett Dellinger, to name a few. I thought ND could land 3 Top 100 OL this cycle with how everything stacked up, but it just didn't happen. Spindler is the most important recruit left on the entire board, not just the OL board. ND needs to land him.

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't mind LB recruiting right now. I think they made a mistake not taking Cody Simon last cycle - they effectively passed on a guy who was a 247 Composite Top 100 recruit. But they got 4 LBs in the 2019 class and all took redshirts (traditional or 4-game) last year. So, I think they are fine depth wise, but they need to add talent this year. I think ND leads for Kollie and he is one of the more talented LBs still out there (offers from Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma, Texas, etc.). Some think Justin Walters could also slide down to LB. I think LB is fine if they land Kollie - but I agree, the lack of other targets is a little strange.

WR recruiting makes no sense to me. ND needs 3 WRs this cycle. They have one elite guy committed in Styles, but beyond that the board looks pretty bleak. Jayden Thomas from Atlanta is a Top 250 guy with an elite offer list, but many question his athleticism/whether he can be a true #1 WR in college - I do think ND leads or is at least in the Top 2/3. Beyond that, there is really no one that ND is in good shape for. It's doubtful that ND can get Colzie back. Thornton is a heavy Oregon lean (although he isn't supposed to decide until the All American Bowl in January). ND stopped pursuing Christian Lewis - a high 3-star that a lot of analysts like. Another 3-star Jaden Alexis has been trending elsewhere for a while. Andrel Anthony is out there, but it doesn't sound like ND has been pushing for him either.

So, there is a lot to not like about this cycle and ND's strategy/execution. Definitely a weird year with COVID - it hurts ND not being able to get guys on campus because that is one of the best, if not the best, recruiting pitches for ND in particular. But every school is dealing with the same issues, so ND needs to figure it out.

I thought about writing down ND's realistic "dream" class, but I think it would just be a waste. I think there will be a ton of decommitments this cycle, and there are probably a ton of guys not even on ND's radar who will emerge in the fall once the high school football season starts. Not being able to have any camps or evaluate guys in person is a killer. I think Big or someone mentioned earlier in this thread that the rankings this year will interesting to look back on in a few years - I'm sure there are a lot of highly rated guys who won't pan out and a lot of 3-star guys who become All Americans and First Round Draft Picks. It's just a weird year for recruiting.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:13 PM

I really doubt any in person official visits take place this year barring a sudden vaccine, which will make this recruiting cycle interesting with decommitments and the next two years really interesting with transfers, most likely.

Last edited by Big23Head; 06-26-2020 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:46 PM
Domer Domain Junior

[quote=Big23Head;734584]I really doubt any in person official visits take place this year barring a sudden vaccine, which will make this recruiting cycle interesting with decommitments and the next two years really interesting with transfers, most likely.

This would be too bad since BK and his staff's recruiting has taken a step back compared to his peers since the Covid crisis. For some reason, he has been unable to make the transition to a "Zoom" recruiting model work for him compared to other coaches who seem to be able to recruit top talent from far away states without in-person contact.

Per 247, BK's six lowest ranked commits are the last six recruits who have committed. (all in 2020). If he cannot reverse this trend, he seems destined to have three straight classes ranked between #15 and #20.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:47 PM

No visit, likely no ND and stays home

Old 06-28-2020, 07:54 PM

Old 06-30-2020, 08:30 PM

Just some updates. Kaleb Edwards likely to GT tomorrow. Christian Lewis committed to Kentucky today. Logan Diggs looking out west. Erik Olsen likely to stay west. ND needs to find its footing with landing a couple of guys. It's going to be an interesting summer and fall recruiting wise.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:40 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big23Head View Post
Just some updates. Kaleb Edwards likely to GT tomorrow. Christian Lewis committed to Kentucky today. Logan Diggs looking out west. Erik Olsen likely to stay west. ND needs to find its footing with landing a couple of guys. It's going to be an interesting summer and fall recruiting wise.
Is it too soon to start wondering if there are any 2 *'s who could be targeted?
Old 07-01-2020, 03:39 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Patience is the name of the game this year. I hope ND doesn't panic and start reaching for recruits they otherwise wouldn't consider. There's always the transfer portal to potentially fill in needs. If the pandemic concerns lessen before signing day and in person visits are possible, the class could be salvaged.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:46 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thand1 View Post
Patience is the name of the game this year. I hope ND doesn't panic and start reaching for recruits they otherwise wouldn't consider. There's always the transfer portal to potentially fill in needs. If the pandemic concerns lessen before signing day and in person visits are possible, the class could be salvaged.
Yeah, on one hand you think ND is missing out, which we are. But on the other hand, we donít want a bunch of Bruce Heggieís on the team taking up 4 year s schollyís. ND has been taking around 18 kids a year because of low numbers for the past 3-4 years. Maybe it will be a blessing and next year ND grabs what they can truly use instead of letting certain guys go because of not enough scholarships. At least thatís my hope.