Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2020, 03:32 PM
Domer Domain All American

Default Position battles

Assuming we have football, it looks like there will be some intriguing position battles this fall.

RB: Smith/Tyree/Armstrong/Williams: I think it will be a back by committee, with Smith and Tyree getting the bulk.

Corner: Rutherford/Wallace/Bracy/McCloud- Now I am assuming Crawford will be primarily at nickel. Although I could be wrong on that assumption, I am going to go out on a limb and pick McCloud and Rutherford. I could be way off, but I really loved Rutherfords length and speed on tape. Bracy is an easy pick but he just doesn’t jump off the page for me.

Safety: Griffith/Pryor- I am going to go with Griffith here. I wasn’t overly impressed with Pryor’s tape and there is a reason he didn’t play much at OSU. I still think we will see a mix of both.

BUCK Linebacker: Genmark-Heath/Moala/Lamb/Simon/Bauer- Again, I am assuming White and JOK stay as starters. I could be off here as I don’t which of these players were at BUCK last year, but I listed off the guys we saw the most. Moala is a rover but to me is clearly the most explosive. I think ND would be better of with Simon or Bauer at MIKE, but they might not have it mentally. I will have to go with Jack Lamb here based off what I’ve seen so far.

Now these are not battles but I think some of these scenarios play out.

Tight end- Mayer will be the primary tight end sooner than later, but we will see a ton of Tremble.

WR- I think we see lots of bodies here, but I believe we will see Austin, McKinley and Lenzy the most. Expect some of Johnson, Keys and Skowronek as well.

I think this may be one of, if not Kelly’s most talented team. We are loaded everywhere except maybe running back. Anything less than 10-2 would be a huge disappointment. What say you guys?

Last edited by ndomer4; 05-25-2020 at 03:39 PM.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 05-25-2020, 05:31 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndomer4 View Post
RB: Smith/Tyree/Armstrong/Williams: I think it will be a back by committee, with Smith and Tyree getting the bulk.

Tight end- Mayer will be the primary tight end sooner than later, but we will see a ton of Tremble.
Has Kelly ever played a freshman RB more than a handful of plays? It seems that they can never break into the lineup because they have trouble pass blocking

Again, has a freshman TE or even WR ever seen much playing time?

(I am going off of memory here, so I may be forgetting someone who played as a freshman)
Old 05-25-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post
Has Kelly ever played a freshman RB more than a handful of plays? It seems that they can never break into the lineup because they have trouble pass blocking

(I am going off of memory here, so I may be forgetting someone who played as a freshman)
Josh Adams played big minutes as a freshman. I would expect to see a lot of Tyree even if he can’t pass block because he is such a receiving threat.

Not sure on receivers, didn’t Jones and Daniels play as freshmen? I believe Mack and Kmet played a bit as well but didn’t start. I happen to think Mayer is the best tight end we’ve had in the Kelly era, so only time will tell.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:40 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown_9999 View Post

You read my mind. This was my first thought as well. Tyree will not see the field. Heís on the smaller side so Iím sure he will be taken down easier in his first year. Because of his size, I canít see him pass blocking well. The playbook will be to hard yada yada yada. Tyree will either have to wait till his junior year or heíll transfer out by then. Just my guess based on past BK seasons.
Adams was by luck. Didnít someone go down and Adams was thrust into the starting job! Adams was also 6í1 200 plus lbs.
I guess we shall see...
Old 05-27-2020, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Assuming we have football, it looks like there will be some intriguing position battles this fall.

Corner: Rutherford/Wallace/Bracy/McCloud- Now I am assuming Crawford will be primarily at nickel. Although I could be wrong on that assumption, I am going to go out on a limb and pick McCloud and Rutherford. I could be way off, but I really loved Rutherfords length and speed on tape. Bracy is an easy pick but he just doesnít jump off the page for me.

Safety: Griffith/Pryor- I am going to go with Griffith here. I wasnít overly impressed with Pryorís tape and there is a reason he didnít play much at OSU. I still think we will see a mix of both.

BUCK Linebacker: Genmark-Heath/Moala/Lamb/Simon/Bauer- Again, I am assuming White and JOK stay as starters. I could be off here as I donít which of these players were at BUCK last year, but I listed off the guys we saw the most. Moala is a rover but to me is clearly the most explosive. I think ND would be better of with Simon or Bauer at MIKE, but they might not have it mentally. I will have to go with Jack Lamb here based off what Iíve seen so far.

WR- I think we see lots of bodies here, but I believe we will see Austin, McKinley and Lenzy the most. Expect some of Johnson, Keys and Skowronek as well.

I think this may be one of, if not Kellyís most talented team. We are loaded everywhere except maybe running back. Anything less than 10-2 would be a huge disappointment. What say you guys?
I think CBO gets alo more carries then you think.

Pryor/Hamilton at safety

receiver by committee. Think Rees will call simpler plays to the players talent.

Keep That Fighting Spirit

"Let me see you disrespect me now, when my face is to ya" Lou Holtz

Resident video nerd and DomerDomain MVP since 2011
Old 05-27-2020, 03:13 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithInIrishForever View Post
I think CBO gets alo more carries then you think.

Pryor/Hamilton at safety

receiver by committee. Think Rees will call simpler plays to the players talent.
Good call Faith. I forgot about CíBo. I agree he is the more natural tailback of the group beside Tyree. If he gets stronger he will get more carries. Also, Iím sure Armstrong will be given the chance to start again.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltssb View Post
Good call Faith. I forgot about CíBo. I agree he is the more natural tailback of the group beside Tyree. If he gets stronger he will get more carries. Also, Iím sure Armstrong will be given the chance to start again.
I forgot about him as well but I also heard a rumour he might be transferring.

Not sure what was up with Armstrong last year, something seemed off. If he can improve upon his 2018 season, Iím sure we will see lots of him.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:14 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
I forgot about him as well but I also heard a rumour he might be transferring.

Not sure what was up with Armstrong last year, something seemed off. If he can improve upon his 2018 season, Iím sure we will see lots of him.
Armstrong tore his abdominal week 1 if memory serves. Itís impossible to do anything athletic while something like that heals post op, so itís no wonder he didnít look as explosive last season.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:19 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardo View Post
Armstrong tore his abdominal week 1 if memory serves. Itís impossible to do anything athletic while something like that heals post op, so itís no wonder he didnít look as explosive last season.
Yeah I had a abdominal hernia repair. It was difficult to trust your body to do physical activities thinking you would rupture itís again. Highly doubtful, but it is in the back of your mind. Let alone being hit by 300 lb mean dudes.
I believe Armstrong also had a knee injury one year too. So heís been a little banged up. This year will be a telling year for him. Either heís healthy or he gets passed by this year.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:41 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

I remember seeing a highlight from the Michigan game 2 years ago. I saw a #8 explode into the endzone and I thought to myself - who the heck is that. I forgot about him. He was fast those first few games before the injury bug hit.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:27 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:

Corner: Rutherford/Wallace/Bracy/McCloud- Now I am assuming Crawford will be primarily at nickel. Although I could be wrong on that assumption, I am going to go out on a limb and pick McCloud and Rutherford. I could be way off, but I really loved Rutherfords length and speed on tape. Bracy is an easy pick but he just doesn’t jump off the page for me.

Safety: Griffith/Pryor- I am going to go with Griffith here. I wasn’t overly impressed with Pryor’s tape and there is a reason he didn’t play much at OSU. I still think we will see a mix of both.

BUCK Linebacker: Genmark-Heath/Moala/Lamb/Simon/Bauer- Again, I am assuming White and JOK stay as starters. I could be off here as I don’t which of these players were at BUCK last year, but I listed off the guys we saw the most. Moala is a rover but to me is clearly the most explosive. I think ND would be better of with Simon or Bauer at MIKE, but they might not have it mentally. I will have to go with Jack Lamb here based off what I’ve seen so far.

I think this may be one of, if not Kelly’s most talented team. We are loaded everywhere except maybe running back. Anything less than 10-2 would be a huge disappointment. What say you guys?
Bracy will definitely be a starter at corner. Ill say Mccloud beats out Rutherford but both play opposite Bracy

Griffith over pryor

Wr Austin Lenzy and Keys will get the most time

Te definitely Tremble number 1 with Mayer and the rest getting pt

Rb and buck are the two most up in the air to me
Old 05-29-2020, 08:13 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

RB will be by committee, which is fine if Rees and company can utilize all of their skills effectively. Jafar is a unique player when healthy, and ND doesn't have many guys that can run with Tyree. If both of them don't get a few touches a game from various formations and play types it will be a waste in my opinion. If a combination of Smith and Williams can make up for some of Tony Jones production and the more explosive guys like Armstrong and Tyree can make some big plays they'll be fine at RB.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:17 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardo View Post
RB will be by committee, which is fine if Rees and company can utilize all of their skills effectively. Jafar is a unique player when healthy, and ND doesn't have many guys that can run with Tyree. If both of them don't get a few touches a game from various formations and play types it will be a waste in my opinion. If a combination of Smith and Williams can make up for some of Tony Jones production and the more explosive guys like Armstrong and Tyree can make some big plays they'll be fine at RB.
CíBo deserves some carries