View Single Post
Old 01-09-2020, 07:42 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneun89 View Post
Definitely fair and all good points. I tried not to cherry pick stats, which is why I included yards/attempt and completion percentage because he is average or below average in those. In yards/attempt, Hurts, Burrow, Tua, Lawrence and Fields were all Top 10. Same with passing efficiency. Again, Book is not at that elite level, but he is good (and I think he has the potential to be great in 2020, but that is certainly debatable).

I would imagine that the trend line looks the same for almost every quarterback in college, except for Burrow this season.

Jalen Hurts - 191.2 passer rating

3 best games: West Virginia (308.5), South Dakota (253.6), Houston (251.3) (Texas Tech and UCLA were also close to 250)

3 worst games: LSU (100.7), TCU (132.3), Texas (155.9)

Justin Fields - 181.4 passer rating

3 best games: Rutgers (253.3), Miami OH (218.7), Michigan (210.3)

3 worst games: Clemson (122.1), Wisconsin - regular season (148.3), Michigan State (155.6)

Now, I agree with your overall point and I am not trying to compare Book to either of those guys, but the trend lines look very similar. Although, to be fair, Book's lows are lower than Hurts and Fields, and Fields destroyed Michigan. But, basically, you beat up on the terrible teams and pad stats like it's NCAA14, and you struggle against the good teams. Hurts and Fields obviously played better against the best defenses they faced than Book did, but the trend line is still the same.

Completely agree with the BK/QB thing. You can't dance around it after 10 seasons. Just like you can't dance around the "ND doesn't win big games." It happens consistently for 10 years, it's just what it is. Hopefully things can change with Book in 2020 and with ND against Wisconsin/Clemson, but I'm not overly optimistic.

My overall point was basically that Book gives ND the best chance of winning, which was true in 2019 and is true in 2020. Just because Jurkovec was a great recruit doesn't mean anything. Half the Top QB recruits transfer - it's just the way college football is now. It just feels like a lot of people were screaming for Jurkovec when Book is the better QB right now.

Not that Iím comparing these guys.... But look what Dabo did with Lawrence and Bryant. He knew Lawrence had the higher ceiling and immediately put him in the first game. Then road with him the rest of the year knowing that Lawrence was going to make mistakes. Even though Bryant was clearly still the better qb at that time. I say that meaning, established and able polished. But Dabo was willing to take that chance and get the higher recruit ready. But I know Kelly is not Dabo and Kelly didnít have Daboís luxury to switch since Dabo already won a championship. Where Kelly is still trying to figure out how to recruit top 5 classes. But the point is Kelly is not letting the higher potential guys see the field enough to prepare them for game action.

Also, Iím curious when you said Jurk, wasnít a film junkie what that entails? Arenít their qb meetings where they go over game prep together? Are you saying Jurk didnít go to film rooms alone to watch tape? If heís not understanding the offense or defenses thrown at him, isnít counterintuitive to him to go sit in a room a look a tape he doesnít understand? Where the teaching at? It be like sending a freshman highschool to study hall with Einsteinís theory of relativity on the board and have him try to figure out. Heíll never get it.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!