Notre Dame Football News And Talk

Notre Dame Football News And Talk (http://www.domerdomain.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.domerdomain.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Scouting Iowa St (http://www.domerdomain.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54456)

FaithInIrishForever 12-09-2019 02:37 AM

Scouting Iowa St

Stats, Schedule: https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...state-cyclones

Lets start by watching some games, or large pieces of games

Observations:

1. They play close games. They lost 4 games by 7 or less and 1 game by 10.

2. They had close wins too.

3. I hear good things about QB Brock Purdy

Questions

1. Why are their games so close?
2. Can we avoid a close game?
3. What are their strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats?

I hope we are going to scout and then together come up with a game plan in another thread just for fun.

I know its a not a super appealing match-up, but I like it because I get to start fresh without knowing anything.

I hope you guys enjoy as much as I do..

FaithInIrishForever 12-09-2019 02:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.domerdomain.com/forum/att...1&d=1575859638

So without looking at anything else I'm starting here.

Oklahoma's opener was

1. run(outside)
2. run middle
3. run middle
4. play-action pass TD Hurts to Lamb

If they give us 3-5-3 expect Tony Jones Jr. to get his touches
Will need Lenzy and or Armstrong in motion to get get outside carries

jessemoore97 12-09-2019 03:04 AM

Purdy is a solid QB who didn't have a lot of offers from P5 schools, despite being Arizona POY coming out of HS. Last year he was 4th on depth chart going into the season, but due to injuries etc he was forced into duty and did very well for a true frosh. This year they lost their very good RB to NFL/graduation as well as their top receiver from last season. Their OL is solid, not spectacular and is laden with multi-year upperclassmen starters, a couple from my town to boot.

On defense they are solid as well, nothing flashy, but fundamentally sound. In a conference that is known for high powered offenses and basketball numbers for game scores, ISU is one of the few that actually plays defense very well against those offenses. I believe they have kept most of the teams below their average scoring numbers. Additionally in the Campbell era their worst defeat was only by 14 points. He has wins against much higher ranked teams and plays everyone tough, they are not an easy win at home or on the road.

This is only the third time in ISU history that the team has gone to a bowl 3 years in a row. There is very little to no football history at the school, and Campbell has certainly turned heads with the direction of the program and some impressive wins over ranked foes.

FaithInIrishForever 12-09-2019 03:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jessemoore97 (Post 729713)
Purdy is a solid QB who didn't have a lot of offers from P5 schools, despite being Arizona POY coming out of HS. Last year he was 4th on depth chart going into the season, but due to injuries etc he was forced into duty and did very well for a true frosh. This year they lost their very good RB to NFL/graduation as well as their top receiver from last season. Their OL is solid, not spectacular and is laden with multi-year upperclassmen starters, a couple from my town to boot.

On defense they are solid as well, nothing flashy, but fundamentally sound. In a conference that is known for high powered offenses and basketball numbers for game scores, ISU is one of the few that actually plays defense very well against those offenses. I believe they have kept most of the teams below their average scoring numbers. Additionally in the Campbell era their worst defeat was only by 14 points. He has wins against much higher ranked teams and plays everyone tough, they are not an easy win at home or on the road.

This is only the third time in ISU history that the team has gone to a bowl 3 years in a row. There is very little to no football history at the school, and Campbell has certainly turned heads with the direction of the program and some impressive wins over ranked foes.

Thanks Jesse. It looks like they get a lot of transfers too.

#7 Pettway(NFL body) WR caught a crossing route. Came in from Arkansas.

#1 Milton (Fast man) gotta know where he is and put Pride on him.
http://www.domerdomain.com/forum/att...1&d=1575839443

FaithInIrishForever 12-09-2019 03:49 AM

Breece Hall

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.domerdomain.com/forum/att...1&d=1575863237

Very talented long striding freshman running back, reminds me of Josh Adams

FaithInIrishForever 12-09-2019 04:21 AM

TE seam

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.domerdomain.com/forum/att...1&d=1575864981

Jesse's favorite play

I Love this formation because its uniform, it looks the same to both sides. The Sooner's say we are going to confuse the freshman tailback in pass blocking by sending 2 threats.

Brock Purdy's like no big deal you forgot to cover the boundary tight end. I win the race by a long shot, Touchdown!!!

cri8nd 12-10-2019 01:02 AM

I've only watched the highlights of the Oklahoma game. Seems like they have a solid enough defense despite what Oklahoma did against them and you could say they have a better all-around skill group than ND.

If I were ISU, I would force ND to show that they can run the ball until proven otherwise and contain book's running. Then have ND show that their skill makers can make the necessary plays. If not, it's gonna be a long day cause ISU is gonna get their points.

Hopefully, Lenzy is starting opposite field of claypool as they are going have two guys constantly on him.

FaithInIrishForever 12-10-2019 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cri8nd (Post 729751)
I've only watched the highlights of the Oklahoma game. Seems like they have a solid enough defense despite what Oklahoma did against them and you could say they have a better all-around skill group than ND.

If I were ISU, I would force ND to show that they can run the ball until proven otherwise and contain book's running. Then have ND show that their skill makers can make the necessary plays. If not, it's gonna be a long day cause ISU is gonna get their points.

Hopefully, Lenzy is starting opposite field of claypool as they are going have two guys constantly on him.

AGREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This exactly what a 3-3-5 defense does

In its purest coverage for its rush 3 drop 8 because 3 LB + 5 DB=8

QB is looking he has 8 bodies back there to throw around.

So the easiest way when he drops back is to scramble, gain a few yards.

But Logically say he gained 5 yards and started from the 20 he'd need 16 5 yard plays to get there.

Not many drives go 16 plays without a penalty or turnover.

So you hand it off gain 4-5 more. Again and Again.. It becomes a game of patience. When is The QB going to play action fake it to the RB and throw it to get a chunk of yards? Or when is the linebacker going to take a bad angle on a running back and let him rush for 20?

Or when will the QB lose patience and make a mistake?

Iowa State plays in a Conference with a high powered offensive reputation. They can't out athlete Oklahoma, but what they can do is make the run out of patience.

ND will need to strike a balance been taking the first down and going for it all. Iowa State will have plenty of smart DB's back there should we lose patience.

The Four Horsemen 12-10-2019 11:19 PM

ISU will struggle with our offense if we keep Book involved and he runs it effectivley. Also, If Jones can get some positive carries, we should be able to open up the passing game with Claypool and Kmet.

Man for man we are way more talented (3&4 stars compared to 1-3 stars) but they are well coached and play as a unit. They WILL give us fits here and there.
If we come to play and control the turnovers, we should be able to handle them.

Jersey Irish 12-15-2019 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Four Horsemen (Post 729791)
ISU will struggle with our offense if we keep Book involved and he runs it effectivley. Also, If Jones can get some positive carries, we should be able to open up the passing game with Claypool and Kmet.

Man for man we are way more talented (3&4 stars compared to 1-3 stars) but they are well coached and play as a unit. They WILL give us fits here and there.
If we come to play and control the turnovers, we should be able to handle them.

Agree wholeheartedly with this analysis:cheer2:

FaithInIrishForever 12-18-2019 02:41 AM

VCDomer 12-21-2019 07:37 PM

Unfortunately, I donít think BK will be patient in this game. We should be. But he will want to throw downfield and instead of grind out first downs, control the clock and wear down the ISU Defense. The game will be close because of his impatience IMHO.

FaithInIrishForever 12-21-2019 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VCDomer (Post 730321)
Unfortunately, I donít think BK will be patient in this game. We should be. But he will want to throw downfield and instead of grind out first downs, control the clock and wear down the ISU Defense. The game will be close because of his impatience IMHO.

We can win it with the USC game blueprint I'm pretty sure.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...meId=401114222

in that one Tony Jones had 25 carries for 176 yards
Lenzy had the sweep for a TD
Book had a big run
team totaled 308 yards rushing

Why I think this is a high rushing game. ISU uses a 3 man line and drop 8 often.
YOU ARE CORRECT THOUGH, Game ended 30-27. High rushing games typically are closer.

ckp160 12-21-2019 10:53 PM

Quote:

This is pretty spot on. In his DNA, CBK just can't not try to fling the ball all over the field. He gets impatient and wants points NOW.

FaithInIrishForever 12-22-2019 04:09 PM

Correcting myself.

Its actually a 3-5-3 defense

http://www.chiefpigskin.com/wp-conte...0.36.14-AM.png

Instead of extra DB's its like extra small linebackers which are almost like having 2 Rovers, A right rover and a left rover

Soko 12-22-2019 09:26 PM

We should be destroying these guys. The fact we are not at least a TD favorite should be used as fuel.

15+ Irish win going away.

Domer Dude 12-22-2019 11:57 PM

Agree. Incredible insult we are not 2 TD favorites. We need to wipe their a$$ all over the field. One off game in torrential, near-freezing downpour and no respect.

45-17.

VCDomer 12-24-2019 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FaithInIrishForever (Post 730322)
We can win it with the USC game blueprint I'm pretty sure.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...meId=401114222

in that one Tony Jones had 25 carries for 176 yards
Lenzy had the sweep for a TD
Book had a big run
team totaled 308 yards rushing

Why I think this is a high rushing game. ISU uses a 3 man line and drop 8 often.
YOU ARE CORRECT THOUGH, Game ended 30-27. High rushing games typically are closer.

Game with USC was close because they torched our secondary

FaithInIrishForever 12-27-2019 04:50 PM

Gameplan Ideas

I like how Urban Meyer did it as a coach. He rarely ever called plays. What he did was say "Offensive Coordinator, these play makers have to touch the ball"

1. Obvious first, Ian Book, 25 passes 10 carries
2. Tony Jones, 20-25 carries
3. Chase Claypool, 15 targets
4. Braden Lenzy- 10 touches
5. Cole Kmet- 10 targets

than you pick the plays

Defensively,

QB Purdy like Book has a C+ arm with A- accuracy. Need to get him moving when he does NOT want too, so his accuracy parlays with his arm strength at that C+ range. ISU only really has 2 running backs they use #28 is really good, Breece Hall but they pass the ball most. Like Stanford, they use up too 3 tight ends. Rush Purdy, win the game

echo88 12-27-2019 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domer Dude (Post 730371)
Agree. Incredible insult we are not 2 TD favorites. We need to wipe their a$$ all over the field. One off game in torrential, near-freezing downpour and no respect.

45-17.

We need to, but we won't. This is gonna be a close game and I really hope poor playcalling/decisions don't turn it into a loss....

FaithInIrishForever 12-28-2019 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FaithInIrishForever (Post 730477)
I like how Urban Meyer did it as a coach. He rarely ever called plays. What he did was say "Offensive Coordinator, these play makers have to touch the ball"

1. Obvious first, Ian Book, 25 passes 10 carries
2. Tony Jones, 20-25 carries
3. Chase Claypool, 15 targets
4. Braden Lenzy- 10 touches
5. Cole Kmet- 10 targets

than you pick the plays

Defensively,

QB Purdy like Book has a C+ arm with A- accuracy. Need to get him moving when he does NOT want too, so his accuracy parlays with his arm strength at that C+ range. ISU only really has 2 running backs they use #28 is really good, Breece Hall but they pass the ball most. Like Stanford, they use up too 3 tight ends. Rush Purdy, win the game

Well lets see how close I was

Ian Book- 28 passes 7 carries
Tony Jones- 11 carries 135 yards
Chase Claypool- 7 catches 146 yards
Braden Lenzy 4 touches(not counting kick returns) 19 yards
Cole Kmet- 2 touches for 33 yards

So right on with the top 3, overestimated the last two. Pretty close overall.

TexasDomer 12-28-2019 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echo88 (Post 730480)
We need to, but we won't. This is gonna be a close game and I really hope poor playcalling/decisions don't turn it into a loss....

I thought it would be closer too, but we pretty much had our way with them.