Notre Dame Football News And Talk

Notre Dame Football News And Talk (http://www.domerdomain.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.domerdomain.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Jurk Transferring (http://www.domerdomain.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54539)

irishrush 01-08-2020 04:19 PM

Jurk Transferring

https://notredame.rivals.com/news/no...ransfer-portal

ndfanatic78 01-08-2020 04:41 PM

Saw this coming but it still stings. It will sting even more if Jurkovec goes somewhere else and stars. I hope the kid the best as I think he is making the right decision for him.

tneun89 01-08-2020 04:44 PM

I don't get this. If he transfers now, he has to sit out a year, learn a whole new system, etc. If he stays, he is one Book injury away from being the starter in 2020, and he has a great chance to be the starter in 2021-2022.

cali_domer 01-08-2020 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tneun89 (Post 731255)
I don't get this. If he transfers now, he has to sit out a year, learn a whole new system, etc. If he stays, he is one Book injury away from being the starter in 2020, and he has a great chance to be the starter in 2021-2022.

BK is his coach, that is enough of a reason to transfer. Good luck Jurk.

Donjuan 01-08-2020 04:52 PM

I don't see this as a problem, personally. He simply wants more playing time and he isn't getting it unless Book gets hurt. Good programs have QB defections. Look at Blake Barnett, Baker Mayfield, Jalen Hurts...okay, maybe some of these aren't very comparable to Phil but you get my drift. lol.

edcubby 01-08-2020 05:59 PM

Not as bad of a meltdown as I thought...I know, it's early.

I was really hoping Jurk would be "The Guy"...I saw him a few times in high school and he was just amazing....size, speed, solid arm.

Hopefully, this is just something that happened over break and he comes back to campus soon and decides to stay....maybe.

USAFA03_HUGENDFAN 01-08-2020 06:02 PM

Would have loved to see him get his shot but it makes sense for him. Hope he does well elsewhere and Kelly isnít kicking himself in the future.

Will be interesting to see how Clark and Pyne do in the spring. Still three good QBs (based on rankings) on the roster. The team should be fine.

Rocketsan 01-08-2020 06:32 PM

BK isnít an idiot... thereís a reason this kid isnít the starter.

Sad to see him go because I wanted him to be the man. Guess he did, too...

coltssb 01-08-2020 06:34 PM

Quote:

This X 1000. It doesnít make a whole lot of sense at this point of his career. But I completely understand and I donít fault the kid. Even when we were up big, BK didnít give him much mop up duty. Usually, it was late in the fourth when there wasnít much to do but hand off. He probably sees Georgia, Alabama, LSU and a ton more of openings happening and is hoping to latch on somewhere else. Good luck kid. I was rooting for you!

echo88 01-08-2020 06:56 PM

Finally an elite QB with a brain....

echo88 01-08-2020 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocketsan (Post 731261)
BK isnít an idiot... thereís a reason this kid isnít the starter.

Sad to see him go because I wanted him to be the man. Guess he did, too...

He's not an idiot. He just doesnt know how to develop QBs. If this guy was at any other upper echelon school, hed be vying for the starting position.

But, alas, Book is returning and literally everyone knows what that means, regardless of off season performance.

cavic 01-08-2020 07:01 PM

This is extremely disappointing. I believe Jurkovek can be an outstanding qb. God forbid BK changes his offense to fit the talents of his qb.

dangeruss 01-08-2020 07:01 PM

I wish phil well but im not surprised to see him leave. it'll be interesting to see how he develops at his future landing spot but ever since last years spring game I had my doubt about him. the backup QB spot should be fine if book goes down with an injury, clark looks like he can be a quality backup with another year under his belt.

echo88 01-08-2020 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavic (Post 731265)
This is extremely disappointing. I believe Jurkovek can be an outstanding qb. God forbid BK changes his offense to fit the talents of his qb.

Oh he will be....just not for the Irish.

KellyisNasty 01-08-2020 07:24 PM

Book should not have been invited back. We know his ceiling. All he has left to go is downward.

dangeruss 01-08-2020 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KellyisNasty (Post 731270)
Book should not have been invited back. We know his ceiling. All he has left to go is downward.

book is 23-3 as a starter and is the best qb on the roster of course he should be invited back.

NDNorm 01-08-2020 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KellyisNasty (Post 731270)

That's ridiculous. Ian will never be mistaken for an elite QB, but he's plenty capable of leading us to 10 or more wins again next season.

golson5 01-08-2020 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echo88 (Post 731267)
Oh he will be....just not for the Irish.

Not from what hes shown. He cant throw.

Crist, Zaire, Golson, Wimbush all left and went elsewhere and all performed worse than they did at ND

golson5 01-08-2020 08:12 PM

Book starts in 2020.

Buchner starts in 2021 as the best QB Kelly has ever landed.

This isnt a huge deal.

I think Clark actuallu looked better than Phil

echo88 01-08-2020 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golson5 (Post 731273)
Not from what hes shown. He cant throw.

Crist, Zaire, Golson, Wimbush all left and went elsewhere and all performed worse than they did at ND

One of the most coveted qbs from the 2018 class with offers that included Bama, Clemson, and OSU "cant throw"? Guess youre getting your assessment from the BK camp...lol

The QBs who transferred out of ND failed because BK can't develop a QB to save his life...

Jersey Irish 01-08-2020 08:56 PM

Quote:

Agree 100 percent with you. This is a lose-lose situation for him. Thought he was a true Domer but I guess not. Probably looked over his shoulder and saw the kids in the 2021 class coming in and figured, if not next year when? But c'mon, is there any loyalty to your school anymore or is it always have to be about me first and the hell with the team with this generation?

dangeruss 01-08-2020 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersey Irish (Post 731278)
But c'mon, is there any loyalty to your school anymore or is it always have to be about me first and the hell with the team with this generation?

this is just the way it is now. kids commit to programs not because they are fans but because they see possible playing time and getting developed for the NFL, very few commit to a school now because they were fans growing up.

NDNorm 01-08-2020 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersey Irish (Post 731278)
But c'mon, is there any loyalty to your school anymore or is it always have to be about me first and the hell with the team with this generation?

I have zero problem with his decision. I came out of HS as an all-state infielder and went to Ball State to play. Writing was all over the wall that I probably wouldn't get my chance at meaningful time, and the only goal I had in my young life at the time was to be a starter in Div. 1 baseball, and I transferred to a place where that would happen.

I've always been an extremely loyal person, and I didn't think twice about the fact that I had to do what I had to to give myself the best chance to chase down a dream. This has nothing to do w/his generation. A guy with such a glowing HS career like he had owes it to himself to go out and grab his opportunity. If he doesn't think it's at ND, he'd be a fool not to take his shot elsewhere.

ndomer4 01-08-2020 09:47 PM

The only qb who transferred that I think would have succeeded at ND was Gunner Kiel. He would have made such a difference on the 2013-2015 teams.

Now I’m pretty confident Jurk isn’t on his level but we have no idea due to the limited sample size. If I remember correctly, Blake Barnett was more hyped than Jurk and how did his career turn out? I don’t think qbs who transfer generally end up being very good.

Between Clarke, Pyne and Buchner we’ll be fine.

jbrown_9999 01-08-2020 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndomer4 (Post 731284)
I donít think qbs who transfer generally end up being very good.

I believe that the last three Heisman trophy winners all transferred